Hotel Away and Rail to Washington D. C. I?nfo

bayou1312

Confused about dryer sheets
DW and I are in our mid-sixties and planning a trip to Washington, D. C. to see the sites for 5 days in mid June. Any suggestions on where to stay where we could hop on a rail for say 30-45 minutes and ride into D.C.? Any info would info would much appreicated.

We did this years ago, when the younger of our kids was in a stroller.

I think we stayed out in Rockville.

Kids like the train. The time "wasted" on commuting to the tourist sites is more of a downer for the grown-ups.

Crystal City has lots of good hotels and is an easy Metro ride to just about anywhere.

The Crystal City Metro station is beneath the Crystal City Gateway Marriott. I stayed there for a couple of nights last October and found it a very good location.

You can also find Sheraton, Doubletree, and Hyatt Regency nearby.

A little further down the Metro line, and cheaper, is Reagan National Airport, with plenty of hotels.

You could stay near the Rosslyn or Crystal City metro stations in VA, or the Silver Spring or Rockville stations in MD. Those 2 VA stations are closer to downtown DC than the 2 MD stations. The Rosslyn station is only 1 stop away from DC and just 2 stops away from the White House. There are several hotels and motels within a 10 minute walk from the Rosslyn station. There are several places to stay close to the Bethesda and Friendship Heights metro stations, but I suspect they're more expensive than lodging near the other 4 metro stations I mentioned. The stations which are furthest out generally don't have hotels/motels within walking distance. Some of them offer shuttle buses to the nearest metro station, but I wouldn't want to have to rely on them.

DW and I are in our mid-sixties and planning a trip to Washington, D. C. to see the sites for 5 days in mid June. Any suggestions on where to stay where we could hop on a rail for say 30-45 minutes and ride into D.C.? Any info would info would much appreicated.

Why not just stay in DC? We stayed off Dupont Circle and it was great . It is much closer to the sites .

Why not just stay in DC? We stayed off Dupont Circle and it was great . It is much closer to the sites .
+1

DW and I stayed in DC up near K Street last year and really enjoyed it. I've lived near DC off and on since the 70s, and it is such a better city now than at any time I can remember. It still has its bad parts like any large city but, it's mostly clean, organized, full of world class stuff to see and do, and friendly; yes, really friendly.

I agree with the above posters that it would be nicer to stay in the city. Many of the DC hotels have less expensive weekend rates so you might want to look into that. Bethesda or Old Town Alexandria are also nice as there are good restaurants and stores and people walking at night and these areas may be a little less expensive than DC. Crystal City is very convenient to DC and my male government co-workers like to stay there when on business travel. But I don't care for it as it is mainly high rise buildings, mostly office buildings and hotels, with no ambiance. It has been several years since I stayed there but I remember the streets were dead after the office workers went home. I enjoy visiting large cities and staying at hotels in neighborhoods that are conducive to walking. Especially when there are so many charming older buildings. Just try to get a hotel by a metro stop.

Last edited:
Agreed with the others.. I would stay in town if you can swing the price.. We stayed in the Marriott near the zoo in Adams Morgan and took the subway that was really great. We went another time and stayed Mandrin Oriental but it was a bit far out and either had to taxi or take a long walk to get to places.

Crystal City worked well during my business travels...both Marriotts are nice and many hotels in that area have courtesy vans from the airport if you're arriving at Reagan Nat'l. As mentioned by ABQ, Old Town in Alexandria is fun to see and there are several hotels near the King St Metro stop that make it convenient to travel into DC.

We did this 2 years ago and stayed in Residence Inn in D.C. (kitchen and separate bedroom, plus free breakfast and light dinners included) for a reasonable price. Near a metro stop, and we could walk to the White House easily.

Back
Top Bottom