How do you estimate your own mortality

Used family history. Figured I'm good to 75, DW 90 - 100.

I go by family history mostly, figuring (and livingto100.com agrees) I'm history early/mid 80's so I use 85 in the calculators. All the women on my wife's side live to the early/mid 90's so I use 95 for her.

The calculator gave me 95 years.
This is in line with the life span of almost all ladies in my family for at least one century. 40 more years to go.

Calculator said 98 for me. Looks like I need to increase the FireCalc calculation out another 5 years.

Last edited:
As I'll continue to add to my portfolio after I retire my life expectancy isn't an issue in my financial planning, but I hope to live a long and happy life and not really have to consider it.

livingto100 gives me 98, but I've always used 100 as my default.

The constantly improving state of modern healthcare is astounding, and likely to become more and more astounding as time goes by.

Based on life expectancy at birth... we've already overstayed by 16 years.

Life Expectancy at Birth by Race and Sex, 1930–2010 | Infoplease.com

...............................................................................................
For planning purposes, each year we look at our 3 budget choices, depending on whether we're on-plan or not.
Optimum
Nominal
Austerity

Fall back options... To sell our camp, our Florida Mobile, Our permanent home. So far, so good, and we're still on our (frugal) optimum budget, but when I go to the "How long will you live?" website
How Long Will I Live? - Life Expectancy Calculator
it gives these estimates:
Life Expectancy: 91.66 years
Lower Quartile: 86.03 years (75% chance you will live longer than this)
Median Lifetime: 91.12 years (50% chance you will live longer than this)
Upper Quartile: 96.83 years (25% chance you will live longer than this)

So... If it's the lower quartile, Optimum budget,
the median quartile, the Nominal budget
the upper quartile, we join the Hemlock Society.

BTW we've both already outlived 90% of our immediate family members.

Truth be told, at this stage, we're happy to wake up in the morning.

Last edited:
Hmm, what number should I use 29 or 27 years left?.....I live in the US, I'm male and 55 so I should live another 27 years, but if I move back to the UK would my life expectancy go up to 29 years (UK life expectancy is longer by a couple of years).....sort of shows how meaningless to the individual actuarial tables are. They are for populations not people.

Judging from the previous posts' guesstimates, I see why insurance companies are profitable selling annuities, whereby they use 81 as their actuarial over/under. With that said, I use 100 'just to make sure' ;)

Last edited:
No need to estimate. My probability of mortality will be 100%.

This calculator gave me to 106. Usually they range 95-99. 106 sounds like I just might be able to get a Google car.

Back
Top Bottom