How much cash do you carry ?

DW gives music lessons and often paid in cash, so she is our ATM machine!
I have a couple of ATM cards for different banks that always go dormant from lack of use. I get a letter from bank so I go check my balance with the ATM card just to show is used!
Currently have $3 in my wallet, but I spent $10 yesterday at a parking garage. I'm sure that's only because I got change for something DW gave me $20 to go to the store for her!
I do keep a few $1k's at home for Craigslist deals I may find. Also using Facebook Marketplace more than ever to buy/sell items locally. Seems like fewer scams from it.

I had $21 when I checked. I have a friend repaying a small interest free loan in cash giving me $40 a week and a dance partner paying me $33 a week towards the instructor that I pay directly. If I hit the ATM I take out 40-60. About all my during the day activities and a lot of the dances require some cash but are usually cheap.

If I have more than about $70 spouse and I split the cash we both have.

I have zero cash in my wallet right now. And I never carry coins. We have a small stash in the house, usually $200-300. If one of us needs cash for something, it's there. But we very seldom need it. We use cash-back credit cards for everything we possibly can, no matter how small. It adds up fast.

Last several months, the only times I can remember using cash were at the local Farmer's Market and parking at a Texas Rangers game. Technically, you can pay for parking online ahead of time using a credit card and I've done that a couple times. Even some of the guys at the Farmer's Market have the little swipe attachment on their smartphone. Most only take cash so we always grab a $20 when we go.

I take $100 cash when it gets low and it lasts me about half a year. It's mainly for tips when I travel for work.

I was traveling in SE Asia for a couple of months, and it took a while to remember and get used to a predominately cash economy. I brought a few hundred in small US bills to Cambodia, where they mostly use US dollars. In Vietnam and Laos, I used ATMs to get a few days at a time in local currency. But almost all transactions were cash - so making change in unfamiliar bills and rates of exchange was entertaining.

At home, almost all transactions go on the charge card. My wife and I both tend to take out $300 from the ATM, and then don't recharge until that runs out. So - between $300 and $1 is usually in my pocket. It mostly goes for small expenses and tips, sometimes gas when the charge card rate is higher than the cash rate.

I have hundreds of dollars worth of change to cash at home because I hate carrying around change.

It seems like I'm always buying something under 10$ and cash works best for me.

I have hundreds of dollars worth of change to cash at home because I hate carrying around change.

I used to dump my change on the dresser and would end up with a large pile of it. Then I found out that the beverage carts on the golf courses were always running out of change. So I filled a pocket on my golf bag and get rid of the change that way.

every now and then we dump our loose change into old coffee cans...one for silver, one for pennies. when they get full we take them to the bank to have them counted and the result is deposited into our vacation fund. it takes several years to get the cans full.

I carry $200. Stays with me and hardly used as I also charge most everything. Just a safeguard I guess.

I used to dump my change on the dresser and would end up with a large pile of it. Then I found out that the beverage carts on the golf courses were always running out of change. So I filled a pocket on my golf bag and get rid of the change that way.

I feel sorry for the beverage cart drivers at your course. I have never seen anyone get any change from someone selling them a cold beer, on a hot day, in the middle of nowhere. Round it up to the closest dollar, add a dollar a drink. Done.:dance:

Wife and I spend considerable amount of timing traveling around the country with our RV. We are increasingly finding campgrounds, gasoline stations, and other establishments that charge a surcharge for credit card users. Sometimes when a waiter or waitress gives exceptional service we will pay the tip in cash and hand it to him/her with a word of thanks for the good service. I particularly like to reward highly motivated young people who are working their way through college or struggling to get on their feet. I carry about $300 in cash and replenish when it hits $100.

I feel sorry for the beverage cart drivers at your course. I have never seen anyone get any change from someone selling them a cold beer, on a hot day, in the middle of nowhere. Round it up to the closest dollar, add a dollar a drink. Done.:dance:

That’s what I was thinking. I’ve never seen a transaction that involved change (coins) on the golf course with the beverage cart. I’ll have to pay attention, but I don’t think any of them price their product outside of whole dollars. $3.25 for a beer? I think not. $4.00.

Every 6 weeks or so I’ll put $200 of 20s or 50s in my wallet. It lasts a long time because I pay most things with the card or Apple Pay. . Keep it as electronic as possible.

That’s what I was thinking. I’ve never seen a transaction that involved change (coins) on the golf course with the beverage cart. I’ll have to pay attention, but I don’t think any of them price their product outside of whole dollars. $3.25 for a beer? I think not. $4.00.

I have been on a few courses where the price was $2.25 or $3.25. Actually, good for the driver. At least they will likely get a $0.75 tip. (Sorry, no coins):D

Very little.

I usually have less than $20 in cash. I use it so seldom that I often lose it (falls out of wallet while getting credit card or something else or change purse and forget it) before I use it. I don't buy much from vending machines, but most of them take cards now too.

Twenty minimum - $100 max. Normally 40-60.
Plus a twenty in the glove box of the car and a few hundred at home in twenties and ones, in case of a hurricane when the ATM is down and the bank closed.

Usually between $200-$300. Max from ATM is $200/transaction and either $400 or $600/day, so I get $200 when my cash drops below $100. Most things go on the cash-back CC - stupid to not get their $$$ when there is no cost to me. Most online transactions with small vendors and those outside the US are via Paypal to reduce credit card fraud.

Bank checking account pays no interest; savings account almost none; CDs not much better. Best semi-stable "interest" I've seen the past couple of years is AT&T stock with its paid-every-quarter dividends (check historical records). With the stock at $34/share and dividends of $0.51/quarter, that's $2.04/year = 6% "interest". Our dividends go into automatic re-investment which gives slow but painless growth.

Typically carry between $30 - $60 in my pocket/money clip----with another $200 (2-$100s) folded up in my credit card case "for emergencies" and what not.

I have noticed that many of my office co-workers barely have 2 nickles to rub together (so-to-speak), and have to borrow money for anything out of a vending machine, or sometimes lunch. I just can't believe that so many folks are running around completely dependent on their credit/debit card, or the kindness of others.

I am in an office Super-Lotto pool (auxiliary retirement plan) that is $2 a week, so every 2-3 months, I give the organizer a $20 bill, and forget it. She has to keep reminding other participants to dredge their $2 out of the old wallet every week, and some are behind.

It is a rare day that I don't have a $20 bill, a $10 bill, a few $5 bills, and a few $1 bills...usually about $50 in cash. This helps immensely if you have unforeseen car trouble, or any other unplanned need. How about you folks ?

It's a rare day that I have more than $35 on me.

Usually $150 to $400 in my wallet. If I get robbed, when I'm not carrying, concealed I want enough to make them happy.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom