How Much Should I Pay for an Estate Plan?

Usually, the more complicated you make things the more expensive it "should" be - and more money can make things more complicated too. If you want to leave everything to one charity when you die, it's not complicated. Once you start adding more than that (second marriages, multiple blended family children, businesses, irresponsible children, irresponsible spouses, estate taxes, pool boys) and if you care what happens to the money you spend 50 years earning/collecting, things can get pretty complicated.

Based on the dozens (or more) of very poorly written documents I have read, you should find a qualified estate planning attorney (I just got off the phone today with a real estate attorney that drafted someone's trust - not good) to draft your documents. If you don't have a "complicated" situation, it should be simple and the price should reflect that.

What does surprise me though, is how many people with $5,000,000 are reluctant to spend a few thousand dollars and the time and effort to ensure their hard-earned money goes where they want it to go. Some people don't care - so that's fine. But when you can make (or lose) $50,000 in a day when the market is up or down, $5,000 for a decent plan sounds cheap.

I'm not sure ours is really complicated. But I like a lawyer with the whole firm backing. If he is dead, there are other lawyers to take care of the problem. Not going with a small place or single lawyer office.

we paid a few grand to have our wills/poas done, worth it imo

I think we paid $1800 in 2008. It was all the paperwork associated with end of life... but didn't delve into current financial investments/tax planning... just end of life issues.

We got:
- Irrevocable a/b trust.
- POA's and Healthcare directives.
- Poor-over wills.
- assets like out house were retitled as part of this. Plus detailed instructions on how to handle beneficiaries on bank accounts and IRAs. (We didn't want large lump sums going directly to our minor age children and had the tax implications explained about rolling IRAs into a trust.)

Additionally, we got great advise on our concerns: At the time my inlaws were living in our granny flat and we needed language so that they could be transitioned before the house is sold. We also, as mentioned above, did not want our kids getting a large chunk of cash at 18 to squander and our lawyer offered suggestions on how to set it up so that the money could be 'used' by them - then distributed at milestones.

Our estate is fairly simple. House, investments... all going to our 2 kids once we're both dead.

Back
Top Bottom