How often do you go to the doctors in a year if you are NOT sick?

My doctor (GP) wants to see me every 3 months need it or not. All he does is spend 5 mins asking how I am, renews any prescriptions I may need and then proceeds to bill the insurance for $227.

As a result I have stopped going as I feel fine and my BP is in Check. I check it every day at home.

I do see my Cardiologist Tech every 6 months to get my Pacemaker checked as it is due for replacement next year.

Lately I have not been to see my GP for 9 months and he refuses to renew my prescriptions without an office visit. Not an issue yet as I have about 6 months supply of my BP meds.

Whaddyall think? I am tempted to change docs.
I think I'd go see him one more time, and ask him why he needs to see me every three months. After all, laughter is the best medicine. :D

I'd try to get him to agree on every 6 months or year, unless he has a good reason to see you more often than that. I have no idea if the pacemaker is a good reason to see an actual MD now and then or not; never had one although it sounds scary to me.

Anyway, I guess that (for me), every 6 months is not that bad and will not break the bank, but every 3 months can be tiresome.

Perfect example of one of the reasons for high insurance premiums.

I have a relative who is an enthusiastic medical consumer. Maybe she does have a bunch of obscure conditions, I stopped paying attention a while back. But she visits a rather large group of doctors. The docs seems quite willing to try this or that. It costs a bundle.

If she were paying the bill, I expect she would be using a lot fewer medical services. But to her it’s free.

GP once a year for check up, blood work (diabetes in my family) and chat -- he's of the "if its not broke don't try and fix it" school. Eye doctor once a year. Dermatologist 3x a year -- keeping the actinic keratosis under control! Generally healthy.

For the folks not seeing a doctor at all, is it a money, fear or ignorance is bliss issue?

My corporate profession was in a medical-related field.

So you might say, my staying far away from medical professionals is self-preservation !!

1X/yr but I need blood tests 2X/yr.

When I was younger I went very infrequently. Between ages 20 and 40, I may not have seen a doctor at all for a general checkup. After age 40, I thought it would be better to have a doctor who was somewhat familiar with me and I started going for regular checkups every other year. In my 50's I started going every year. I've never had a single problem found during a regular exam, but I still feel that the annual checkup is worthwhile. Some friends my age are starting to fall apart already, and I'd rather have any problems found sooner rather than later.

My PCP wants me to come in once a year for the physical. Won't write scripts unless I do.

I was going every year but just skipped a year. BP is borderline, and I check it myself. Restarting Keto diet and increasing exercise in retirement. Last time I did this the BP fell 20 points.

I’m changing docs I think. Currently checking out a concierge practice. Ihaven’t gone because I lost trust in my current practice. I’ve had several great doctors. But they all left-retired or moved away. As a doctor myself, I know the value of the annual visit and screenings, but they keep changing the screening recommendations.

For the folks not seeing a doctor at all, is it a money, fear or ignorance is bliss issue?

All 3 for me. Fear of disease, fear of doctors, fear of insurance companies. This year I voluntarily went to the dermatologist, and my eye doctor, even though afraid, since each required only a $5 copay currently, which will become a $30 copay soon under my new medicare advantage setup. Fear of insurance companies is due to fact that they aren't very good at telling you beforehand what is covered and what is not. Fear of big bill. Everything worked out OK (so far, knock on wood). Glad I went, no skin worries, no new eye worries, so I can relax for a few more years.

Don't, unless I have an issue. There my best to live healthy and take one day at a time.

I like that approach. I still go once a year to get lisinopril renewed and blood tests. Every time you go though, the doctor feels like they have to treat something or suggest something, even if there isn't anything.

Once a year for blood work and physical.
Once a year to dermatologist,
Three times a year to the eye doctor.
Two or three time a year to the dentist.

So far I’m healthy, no problems that I know of. The eye doctor says I’m at risk for glaucoma , but I don’t have it and nothing has changed in the last five years. But I go in and sit in front of one of their testing machines for a few minutes and see the doctor once a year. The dentist I get a cleaning one time and see the dentist another.

None of the above. Since I was a teen I have seen doctors for a number of issues (from acne to warts to cat scratch disease) and in almost every case the diagnosis or treatment was out of proportion to the ailment or downright wrong. In self defense I study nutrition and isolated bits of medicine on my own. I've long since passed the point where I know more than my doctor about the true causes of chronic illness.

I check my blood pressure regularly and order blood tests every year or so. No doctor needed.

You truly believe this? :facepalm:

Once yearly to FNP for women's health check
Maybe once yearly to PCP for labs if FNP doesn't do it
2X for dental
4X for ophthalmologist (glaucoma)
yearly for dermatologist
maybe once yearly to gastroenterologist for esophageal issue follow up
Generally healthy and want to keep it that way. Too many family members died from preventable things.

Just over 50...no regular doctor visits, nothing other than OTC meds when needed.

No, I know this. Doctors are not trained in disease prevention. There's not enough time with all the drug info they have to memorize.

And you know this from your years in medical school, I presume? Because my years in medical school contradict your statement.

I go for an annual checkup, but only because my insurance charges me $1200 per year more if I don't. Otherwise, I wouldn't bother. I have no prescriptions or chronic conditions.

I go to the emergency room when I have done something stupid.

I’ve just been to my GP for my annual checkup otherwise I only go when I have a health problem or for a scheduled screening. I didn’t used to go every year but since having heart issues I, and my GP, like to do BP, bloods, weight, and heart health once a year.

Eye checkup is now once a year since cataracts have started growing.

Dentist is once a year, hygienist every 6 months.

I usually go once yearly...........sometimes I skip a year. The main reason I go is for my blood test results (I guess there is a brief physical too, but that is for the most part pretty worthless, IMO). I monitor/interpret the blood test results myself, because I have been given bad information in the past by docs who said my results were "all normal", when I later found out some were definitely not (causing me all sorts of unnecessary grief).

I go for an annual checkup, but only because my insurance charges me $1200 per year more if I don't. Otherwise, I wouldn't bother. I have no prescriptions or chronic conditions.

I go to the emergency room when I have done something stupid.

Mind sharing which insurance co? Has anyone else seen this?

I’ve seen incentives, but not fines

Living oversea's for ~10 months per year. We come in to Texas for 2 X one month trips per year.
ms gamboolgal will have me lined up to the docs, eyes, ears, skin, prostate, running borescopes up the butt, dentist,
Seems like the wheels started falling off around age 50 ish.....
As we are getting ready to retire at the end of the year, we are doing all the doctor visits to ensure as best we can - we are ready to go to pasture.
Finally got the first Shingles shot last week.

Mind sharing which insurance co? Has anyone else seen this?

I’ve seen incentives, but not fines

As a public employee of the State of Connecticut (and now a retiree), I am subject to the Health Enhancement Program that was negotiated between the State and its employees in 2011. It has certain age-based requirements for periodic preventive care. I am now in the category requiring an annual physical (with blood tests), vision exam every two years, and colonoscopy every ten years. There are additional requirements for women. If you don't meet the requirements, you pay $100 a month in additional health insurance premium (same for active and retired). The plan is administered by Anthem, but the State is actually self-insured.

I guess the idea is to catch things early when they are less expensive to treat, but I'm not sure the State is actually saving any money.

Back
Top Bottom