How to help a parent in a different location

We got FIL a chromebook figuring it was the easy way to go. You might find that the issues are more user error than technical, which means this will happen again if they don't understand what to not do, or what to do differently. For example, FIL insisted on powering off the CB every night when you just need to shut it. Or when zooming he'd want to start hitting stuff that didn't apply, and mess up the session, stuff like that. Luckily he has a savvy neighbor who can resolve most problems.

If he can't figure it out locally, then, yeah a weekend visit might be in order, in which you watch everything they do, ask them what they turn off and on and don't, and fix bad habits vs. connections...
A Chromebook might be the simplest thing, but if they keep their Windows PC, on the next visit I would set up their account as a limited account and give yourself the admin account. If they can't accidentally change settings or install malware it's a lot safer.

This is what I do for my mother

Paying all bills

Wifi camera trained on TV for visual trouble shooting

Floor Water alarms near sinks.

Wifi door sensors that lets me know when she leaves condo

Disable unused sources on TV

Wired phone in every room and restroom

Medical button emergency call system she does not wear.

Daily morning Callingcare automatic phone call check in

Senior phone from Australia (KISA) that has photos of contacts as call buttons, which was considerable trouble to setup and she never takes it with her.

She will use an iPad to read newspapers but can’t manage email. Would be nice if there was a way to send messages to TV screen?

She calls me with her grocery list and I order it online.

Credit is locked and title fraud mitigation is done.

I keep asking her to give my phone number when there are calls from financial institutions, but she just hangs up on them, so I am told.

A simple physical call button for uber without the complexity of a smartphone or an app would be very useful.

Some great ideas here. I had planned on adding motion/door sensors, but I like the water sensors too. For uber, I think Alexa has this functionality. Their drop in feature could also be useful.

I hate to have this conversation over the phone, but I guess I’ll at least start the conversation over the phone so it can be sooner than later. Thanks Kroeran, that’s a good list to get things started.

I’ve hired task rabbits for my out of state mom before and it helped. They are usually young folks who are very tech savvy, and don’t up sell contracts. Her issue is the iPhone and can never figure it out.

Of course there could be concern with strangers, but like ride sharing it’s never been a problem.

I ended up 'downsizing' my Dad from a PC to an iPad. I put just the basics on his homepage (email, browser, and a few apps).

That worked for a while. Wifi problems were few. And a couple times his nearby grandkids were able to help.

Teamviewer for computer related issues.

Wyze cam for other issue. If they need help, they plug it in and I can see whatever my parents want to show me.

Back
Top Bottom