I am...an early wave Gen X'er

fired_up

Dryer sheet wannabe
Just turned 52. Been saving like crazy for a long time. Would be retiring this year but for my insane decision to adopt two kids from state foster care in 2000.

All kidding aside, been following this forum for a while but it was just brought to my attention that I've never introduced myself.

35 months and counting!

Welcome! I turned 52 last November and even though I'm technically at the tail end of the boomers, I'm totally gen X.

Thanks for the intro, fired_up.

It takes a special person to adopt foster kids.

Greetings from just a smidge behind you in GenX (about to turn 51)!

Just turned 52. Been saving like crazy for a long time. Would be retiring this year but for my insane decision to adopt two kids from state foster care in 2000.

All kidding aside, been following this forum for a while but it was just brought to my attention that I've never introduced myself.

35 months and counting!

Welcome, in same boat but no kids. Would have retired already but Medicare eligibility isn't age 53. :eek:

Welcome to the board fired_up. I admire your decision to adopt the two children you mentioned in your post.

Welcome! Your decision to make those children part of your family is a wonderful one, and a good reminder that we save not just so that we can retire early, but that we have the freedom to make the choices that are right for us.

Welcome fired up! I would say your decision was insane, but rather admirable. How old are they now?

Kids may be the best investment you have ever made for living a fullfilling life. Congrats. I'm a fellow Gen X at 49 planning to punch out in six more years!

Welcome Fired_Up. Well, it was probably insane, but it was worth every cent as you are still planning an early retirement at age 55. Kudos to you and your family.

I'm 48, Gen X with one biological and one adopted kid. On target to decide what to do at age 50 or close to it. ER probably would not of changed with 1 or 2 kids. The kids added a new dimension and will continue to keep me younger =)

What an awesome intro. Happy to see the other X'ers here.

I just turned 50 and am just under 2 years away from FI. Trying to figure out what to do once there after busting my ass up to now!

DW and I are also Xers. She's near the front of the herd (51) and I'm near the back (44).

She is already RE and I am semi-RE. Probably fully RE in another year or two (bet you never heard that before..:) )

Welcome

I turned 52 earlier this year. I am also 32 months away from a potential career switch - Yes, that's what I call it.

So glad to see some people in my age group getting ready to slow down the work day.

Although technically a Baby Boomer (born 1964), I identify more with Gen X. Most define it as 1965 to 1976-79; one defines it as 1961-1981. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Generation_X

I wonder if Gen Xers are more likely to retire earlier than prior generations or how their expectations differ (if any at all) from older generations:confused:

Although technically a Baby Boomer (born 1964), I identify more with Gen X. Most define it as 1965 to 1976-79; one defines it as 1961-1981. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Generation_X

I wonder if Gen Xers are more likely to retire earlier than prior generations or how their expectations differ (if any at all) from older generations:confused:

I have to agree! If you think about it - when you were a senior in high school - all the freshman sophomores and juniors were GenX - did they seem different to you - ha - no!

I'm 51 and I have no idea. I don't know personally any Xers or Boomers who have actually FIREd early, though I know a couple of them who could. All I know is, the internet makes it easier to learn how to accomplish it and easier to find and connect with others on the same path, i.e. this forum!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom