I fixed my washing machine, ta-dah!!!

I've fixed many things around the house, and always get a lot of satisfaction when successful, and DW is always [-]surprised[/-] impressed.

It's rare I have success. But when I do, I use the opportunity to celebrate.
img_1243019_0_0ff25d720d269205de68fc80b5a9b3e4.gif
Of course I do the same thing when I fail.

I think it is all about priorities.... and do you think that you can do the work and even enjoy it...

With my dishwasher problem, I had figured out it was the valve... so I would not be throwing away the machine... I also go to.... well, not RE..., so not a lot of extra time... my DW wanted it done yesterday.... so I spent the $180 for parts and labor and was happy...

The part itself cost $60... so I paid $120 for two trips and 2 hours of labor... I was happy with what I did...

Now, I did fix my old washer... it was just the belt.... and I did fix my old dishwasher which needed a new control panel at one time and a new spray arm another... but I was not married and had the luxury of being able to take my time...

Man, don't you know that nowadays, many so-called engineers do not want to get their hands dirty. A caveman, now that's different.

I'm of the "civil" type, so dirt is kind of a given. :) In fact, we build stuff with dirt.

Except I didn't do it naively...

I found a very similar but not OEM coupling online for $9.77 plus shipping & tax first. Then I thought, I wonder if I can find one locally? I paid $23 with tax and was able to finish laundry the same day. Avoiding $750+ on a new washer and having to shop and wait for delivery, made paying $23 to fix it immediately well worth it. Saving another $5-10 or so (Priority Mail isn't free) shopping online and waiting was trivial and not worth it to me. YMMV

I actually may not have received priority mail for free, but it got here from 800 miles away in 2 days. Out of curiosity, I just ebay searched for what I bought and it is $3.79. Maybe that is closer to what I paid, don't remember. Anyway, here's the part: Whirlpool Pump Coupler 285753 Washer Washing Machine Motor Coupling Coupler | eBay

Same as yours? Apparently these things were inadequately designed and the new replacement parts are much more sturdy and designed to handle the torsional loads placed on them. Maybe the OEM part is more, but I figured the cheapo off ebay was as good as is needed if it exactly what the local pro appliance shop sells.

Oh, and apologies if I suggested you naively bought the part! I was saying I naively went to the appliance repair store before I checked ebay. Visiting the appliance store and paying 2-3x the price if you need it now and not in a few days is definitely worth it versus paying 8-10x the price to maybe get the appliance repair guy to fix it correctly on the first try. :D

I'm of the "civil" type, so dirt is kind of a given. :) In fact, we build stuff with dirt.
I remember ([-]good[/-] superior memory I have), but didn't you then want to or try to become a lawyer, or perhaps are one already? ;)

Last edited:
I remember ([-]good[/-] superior memory I have), but didn't you then want to or try to become a lawyer, or perhaps are one already? ;)

Yep! Inactive member of the Bar, that is. Retired attorney. :D Getting mud on your hands and boots is way more fun.

Love to see the enthusiasm here...

fixing and rebuilding is my non-paying job in my FL community... "Salvage 1", my golf cart is employed on Tuesdays and Fridays... the trash pick up days, early in the morning, before the trash truck arrive. Never kept count, but over the past 20 years, have probably recycled (saved-fixed-gave away) more than a thousand items that were headed for the landfill. Every toy, sporting good, lawn equipment, musical instrument, kitchen appliance, bike, washer, dryer, radio, TV, phone, computer, printer and piece of furniture... and anything else that is or could be useful, ends up on my workbench. Everything except refrigeration or air conditioning. I currently have about 20 items waiting for a new home...

Currently working on a chain saw, an ancient Pioneer sound set up, two weed wackers, and a remote control Hummer.

The last washer I repaired was a simple belt change, but required a full tear down... In putting it back together, somehow tied down the floating tub into the shipping position :facepalm: Turned it on to check it out, and all was fine, so with the thanks of my neighbor, left and went home... Five minutes later received a panic call... When the washer went into the spin cycle, it "walked" out of the laundry room and into the bedroom... all by itself.

Yep! Inactive member of the Bar, that is. Retired attorney. :D Getting mud on your hands and boots is way more fun.
Nothing against lawyers, nor engineers, or even cavemen, but I believe good engineers are closer to cavemen than to lawyers. :cool:

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom