I Voted

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm curious what the fascination is with voting the very first day of early voting when it's known to be more crowded than any other day. Afraid of dying before the next day or day after? Is your early vote still counted if you die before election day? If so, why should it count?

:facepalm:

If a person dies before the election is over but has voted during valid voting times it does count.

What if you vote in person and die before the night is over, before the vote is counted ?
Should the vote be included :confused:
What if there is a recount. :confused:

Same principle.

DH voted last week. I drove by the election office today and there were probably 100 people in line outside the building and who knows how many inside so I kept going. I'll run over during lunch next week and vote.

I am a California resident living in Thailand. I received an email from Contra Costa county with a password. I logged on to the voter site where you can mark your ballot and then print it. I then mailed the ballot using the regular Thai mail to America. Even with Covid slowing mail delivery it should arrive in time.

The US embassy here notified expats that they would accept ballots and then forward them to the US. They said they wanted US postage on the envelopes. I don’t have US postage and did want to search around to figure out where to get it so I just used the Thai mail. At least they were trying to be helpful.

I actually thought I was volunteering when I signed up, then I found out it's paid. It turns out that because of the polls being open for 4 days this year, they are hiring us on as temporary county employees at a rate of $14.25/hr. I will donate my earnings anyway, but maybe sticking an equal amount in my IRA will be worth a few dollars in tax savings.
I thought I was volunteering as well, I was in it purely for the experience and I would have fine with not being paid at all. I just find it so hypocritical that the state of California that's constantly suing businesses for the slightest infringement of the labor laws turns a blind eye on this one. If they're going to pay you, then they should at least pay minimum wage or don't pay anything at all. Just my opinion...

I moved to a new state and recently got my drivers license. I thought registering to vote was automatic. The clerk asked if I wanted to register and I said yes.

I have my license. I checked the voter registration site to verify that I am registered and the site didn’t recognize my name. So I registered online. I have until October 7 to register. If I don’t get confirmation by 10/5, I’ll take time off work and visit the elections board in person. So frustrating; have not experienced this much difficulty registering in other states.

We vote at every election, and our voting location is at a neighborhood branch library. This year for the primaries we voted in person. The masking, sanitation, and social distancing all seemed flawless, and we felt the poll workers went above and beyond in their efforts to keep voters safe.

We also plan to vote in person on Election Day as always, for several reasons. One good reason is the fact that I get a big kick out of voting on Election Day with everyone else. I wear at least one item in my party's color, and smile and wave at my neighbors and they smile and wave back at me. I am old, and so I also feel (right or wrong) that my vote is safest and less likely to be lost or miscounted when I vote in person.

Got our mail in ballots yesterday. Will be completed in a few days and hand delivered.

Got our Mail in Ballots yesterday in NEFLA. Will most likely vote in person though. (Remember to take your Mail in with you when you go for early voting).

NJ is automatically mailing everyone mail-in ballots. I can either mail in my vote, or drop it off at a secure Ballot Box at my township municipal building, which I plan to do tomorrow. Voting in person isn't really an option - to vote on Election Day, you'd just hand in your completed mail-in ballot at your usual polling place.

Just dropped off my mail-in ballot a few minutes ago.

Another four years bites the dust :).

Got our mail in ballots for FL yesterday. DW filled hers in right away, but I wanted to research some of the down ballot options. I don't really care who gets elected to the Mosquito Control Board, but it turns out that one of the two candidates for mayor is the developer who is building a big condo/shopping facility directly across the street from us. They're already trying to change the setback rules to allow them to build a 5 story condo 10 feet off the property line. So I definitely won't be voting for him.

We vote at every election, and our voting location is at a neighborhood branch library. This year for the primaries we voted in person. The masking, sanitation, and social distancing all seemed flawless, and we felt the poll workers went above and beyond in their efforts to keep voters safe.

We also plan to vote in person on Election Day as always, for several reasons. One good reason is the fact that I get a big kick out of voting on Election Day with everyone else. I wear at least one item in my party's color, and smile and wave at my neighbors and they smile and wave back at me. I am old, and so I also feel (right or wrong) that my vote is safest and less likely to be lost or miscounted when I vote in person.

We have decided to vote in person as well for all the reasons you mentioned. Our polling place is only a short mile away. Because I need to consider protection from other health concerns for both my wife as well as myself then I will vote early whenever the polls are clear.

Cheers!

Reactions: W2R
Got our mail in ballots yesterday. Will be completed in a few days and hand delivered.

Dropped them off last week. A worker came to our car and took them and placed them in the box at the official drop off place. Couldn't have been easier.

For you folks voting in person (especially on election day) do you have to stand in a long line? Last time I voted on election day (several years ago) I had to stand in line for 3 hours and I said never again.

For you folks voting in person (especially on election day) do you have to stand in a long line? Last time I voted on election day (several years ago) I had to stand in line for 3 hours and I said never again.

Would never vote on Election day number one, that is what early voting is for. Number 2, never had to wait more than 5 mins inside a polling station, never had to line up outside.

We voted early voting at the courthouse. Once again, the poll workers cross checked my signature to my voting card that I signed in the 1970's. The poll workers didn't like that my current signature doesn't match my 1970's signature. They asked for photo ID. And the worker said " Your signature on your drivers license doesn't match the voter record either". And I said "But my photo ID matches my face with my name per your records and my current signature matches my ID." They finally let me vote. Where do they get these poll workers?

We voted early voting at the courthouse. Once again, the poll workers cross checked my signature to my voting card that I signed in the 1970's. The poll workers didn't like that my current signature doesn't match my 1970's signature. They asked for photo ID. And the worker said " Your signature on your drivers license doesn't match the voter record either". And I said "But my photo ID matches my face with my name per your records and my current signature matches my ID." They finally let me vote. Where do they get these poll workers?

Bolded by me - Early retirees?

I received my North Carolina absentee ballot by mail, completed it and hand delivered it to my local board of elections. NC has a way to track your ballot which I signed up for and got a text my ballot had been accepted.

Who else has voted?

In order to keep this thread open, please no politics or discussion of who you voted for--the thread is intended as a place for folks to say they have voted and, if they want to, the manner in which they voted.

I encourage everyone to vote!!

Yep, I voted .. I think 2 weeks ago .. mailed my ballot and tracked it online. 24 hours after the Post office picked it up, the online tracker said the Post office received it. And in 2 days it was delivered to the Board of Elections and accepted. Online tracker says "Completed"

<snip> I don't really care who gets elected to the Mosquito Control Board, but it turns out that one of the two candidates for mayor is the developer who is building a big condo/shopping facility directly across the street from us. They're already trying to change the setback rules to allow them to build a 5 story condo 10 feet off the property line. So I definitely won't be voting for him.

This is a point I try to make to people (mostly relatives) who start to rant and rave and go apoplectic about candidates in national or even state elections. What the local mayor, or county executive, or county council does is far more likely to have a disproportionate effect on one's daily life than anything the next occupant of the White House does.

And yet folks skip the mid-term elections in droves. Go figure.:confused:

Absolutely not! I suppose that if I went to great effort to plan going at the worst possible time, I might have ended up waiting. But seriously, we are retired and we can go to vote at any time we please. We have pretty good poll workers and even though my precinct has a high percentage of voters showing up, they get us in and out quite efficiently.

At the Presidential primaries (in July) there wasn't even one person ahead of me in line (although there were a few others in the process of voting, who were done by the time the poll workers checked me in). That was even fewer than in previous years.

Actually, I kind of missed seeing my neighbors at the primaries. I like waving and smiling at those that I recognize.

We have decided to vote in person as well for all the reasons you mentioned. Our polling place is only a short mile away. Because I need to consider protection from other health concerns for both my wife as well as myself then I will vote early whenever the polls are clear.

Cheers!
We don't have any unusually serious health concerns compared with other old folks our age. But like you, we have always chosen to go when it's fairly deserted. When I was working, I'd go on my way in to work rather than trying to battle the crowds at lunchtime or after work.

I vote at every election, always have, and had bad knees for decades before my knee replacement, so avoiding crowds and long lines has always been of interest to me.

Lines when voting are way, way, WAY less of a concern for me than lines at the supermarket. Which is why I try to avoid grocery shopping on Saturday afternoons.

Walt34 said:
This is a point I try to make to people (mostly relatives) who start to rant and rave and go apoplectic about candidates in national or even state elections. What the local mayor, or county executive, or county council does is far more likely to have a disproportionate effect on one's daily life than anything the next occupant of the White House does.

+1

In my state media coverage of our governor’s race is almost nonexistent, but if Biden or Trump use a bad word in an interview or speech it’s a major story.

Pathetic.

I don't know. The SALT repeal and other tax changes forced me to give more money to the government than I was expecting.

In terms of the topic, DW and I voted today. It was simple. We were the only voters there. Now if I can only get the political advertisers to leave me alone - this would be a nice google feature.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom