I'll be 61 and 9 months on April 22nd (7/21) birthday... SS!

rayinpenn

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
I've read I can apply for social security three months before my 62nd birthday. Yeah I know I get more if I wait but, my SS will just cover our health benefits. I can afford to retire anytime I want but I'll feel better if I don't have to write that big check out of earnings ... (I've got a couple of health issues too)

My son is 17 I understand that he will get 1/2 of what I get until he is 18.

My question - file on line or just go to the SS office? I can take the day off I and make it into a celebration- 33 days vacation left for this year.

It gets better a my current project is winding down.. A old colleague asked me to work for him I think it will facilitate working from home.

Last edited:
Either works. I did it online but then went to the office to get my sons' benefits started.

Regarding your son, if he is a dependent he would be entitled to a monthly check also. It's the difference between what your benefit is and the "family maximum benefit" which may or may not result in a check 50% of yours. You can receive his checks until he is 18. At 18, the SS office will only send it to him. He is eligible for benefits past 18 until he graduates HS (but needs school certification), but in no case past 19 years 2 months of age.

Been through all this with my two sons

It gets better as my current project is winding down. An old colleague asked me to work for him I think it will facilitate working from home.

Earnings between 62 and FRA will reduce your check amounts if you exceed a certain $ level, although I believe your check amount will increase at FRA to "make up" for the reductions. Just something to consider.

We are going to start the process online this Monday and save time at the office. I believe we then will have to go in with a ss card and birth certificate.

Back
Top Bottom