Input From Tesla Owners?

^^ I thought Silver was once the most popular color, but I may well be mistaken. I am not surprised white is #1, DW has had a white car for 29 of the last 35 years. I've had couple, but mixed it up too - yellow, white, silver, red, red, orange, green, white, white, blue. White is practical and holds up best, but :yawn:...

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-01-28 at 6.10.44 PM.jpg
    Screenshot 2023-01-28 at 6.10.44 PM.jpg
    137.9 KB · Views: 39
Last edited:
Don't hold us in suspense. What color did you order?

Earlier this month, the moderator team agreed to temporarily close the ongoing EV thread because of these consistent unpleasant arguments. The zealotry and passion of some of the EV community vs. the same in some of the ICE community. The same arguments, around and around, nastier and nastier.

The arguments spill over into other forum interactions, and leave those in the middle unable to participate, and leaving the discussion.

And so it has happened here again but on a Tesla thread with attacks on the company owner which quickly moved into bitter partisan politics.

A number of posts have been deleted and we ask that this thread is kept on the topic of "Input From Tesla Owners".

If posts go off topic they will be deleted without discussion.

I watched a video on the Tesla annual service and learned a couple things.

Tires wear out sooner due to high torque. Tires need to be rotated every 6500 miles.

The brake calipers are at risk to freeze up because they never get used do to regenerative braking. The annual service includes taking the caliper apart and lubricating the calipers.

That make me think that I would step on the brake at least once every time I drive my Tesla.

The video said that doing front and rear wheel alignment is part of the service as is changing the cabin air filters.

The other thing was that the wheel lugs are torqued to 129 foot pounds rather than the usual 70 or 80. The guy said that they also retorque the other suspension bolts just to be on the safe side.

The brakes do get used occasionally and I believe that the software has been updated to occasionally use the brakes when slowing.

I don’t believe Tesla has an annual service recommendation. There are some 2 year recommendations.

Who produced that video?

Last edited:
I see similar brake issues posted on Bolt user groups. Most of the problem appears to be rusted and pitted rotors for owners living in the salt belt. Conventional wisdom is to turn off regenerative braking occasionally and use the brakes to slow/stop the car a few times.

Do you have a link to that video? Not sure it’s the best source. There is no “annual service.”

Tire wear is partly due to the relative weight of Teslas. I am sure torque is a factor but that depends largely on how the owner drives the car.

Regenerative braking does not mean the brake pads are never used. We’ve had regen brakes on 4 hybrids, 3 makes, and the brake pads lasted about 2-3 times longer than non regen brakes, but they have to be replaced eventually- same with Teslas though they can use regen more aggressively than most.

Stepping on the brake pedal doesn’t make any difference. The car will use regen unless you turn it off (I don’t think you can turn it off entirely, but you can choose to use them less if you don’t like one pedal driving) and supplement with friction brakes as needed.

I’ve never heard the wheel alignment stipulation, just tire rotation. The main services on the Model 3/Y are on 2 or 3 year intervals. The cabin air filter is nothing like most other cars, much larger SA.

The lug nut torque spec is indeed 129 ft-lbs. I didn’t know that, not sure why. There are other cars that spec higher torque, e.g. Escalade is 140!
Tesla said:
  • Brake fluid health check every 2 years (replace if necessary) or, if the vehicle is used for towing, replace the brake fluid every 2 years.
  • A/C desiccant bag replacement every 4 years.
  • Cabin air filter replacement every 2 years (or 3 years for HEPA and carbon filters, if equipped).
  • HEPA filter replacement every 3 years
  • Clean and lubricate brake calipers every year or 12,500 miles (20,000 km) if in an area where roads are salted during winter
  • Rotate tires every 6,250 miles (10,000 km) or if tread depth difference is 2/32 in (1.5 mm) or greater, whichever comes first.

Last edited:
Do you have a link to that video? Not sure it’s the best source. There is no “annual service.”

Tire wear is partly due to the relative weight of Teslas. I am sure torque is a factor but that depends largely on how the owner drives the car.

Regenerative braking does not mean the brake pads are never used. We’ve had regen brakes on 4 hybrids, 3 makes, and the brake pads lasted about 2-3 times longer than non regen brakes, but they have to be replaced eventually- same with Teslas though they can use regen more aggressively than most.

Stepping on the brake pedal doesn’t make any difference. The car will use regen unless you turn it off (I don’t think you can turn it off entirely, but you can choose to use them less if you don’t like one pedal driving) and supplement with friction brakes as needed.
I believe the car itself will use the brakes occasionally now for maintenance reasons, software update last year.

Sudden stops - hard to believe that’s all regen, but maybe I’m wrong.

Yeah, that’s an independent shop not affiliated with Tesla. His narrative is a combination of facts and convenient misinformation, to convince Tesla owners they need annual service - that’s false. Not unlike many auto service that try maximize $$. I’d double check third party sources…

And in his video a week earlier, he claims "mostly in response to those that think these cars need absolutely no service. Some of the things mentioned is just my opinion."

No one with a brain says or believes Teslas require "no service." And the video is definitely 'just his opinion' not rooted in fact. There is one misleading statement after another in the earlier video - so he has no credibility whatsoever IMO.

Last edited:
Took delivery of my 2022 Model 3 Long Range in August. I like the car more every time I drive it. I look for excuses to drive now, lol. No problems with the build on mine, looked it over thoroughly at delivery and was perfect.
Installed the wall charger in the garage and even added solar to the house. Absolutely love this car.

Attachments

• Charlie 2.jpg
    Charlie 2.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 30
I see similar brake issues posted on Bolt user groups. Most of the problem appears to be rusted and pitted rotors for owners living in the salt belt. Conventional wisdom is to turn off regenerative braking occasionally and use the brakes to slow/stop the car a few times.

Hybrid vehicles can also run into issues with brake corrosion up here in the rust belt

Yeah, that’s an independent shop not affiliated with Tesla. His narrative is a combination of facts and convenient misinformation, to convince Tesla owners they need annual service - that’s false. Not unlike many auto service that try maximize $$. I’d double check third party sources…

I took my Acura to the dealer for service for 20 years. With my Tesla I plan to do exactly what Tesla tells me. I just happened to see that video this morning.

One thing I did like was that the showed the things that have to go under the car when putting it on a lift to avoid hurting the battery pack. I had heard that was an issue and that you have to transport on a flat bed truck, but I never saw the details of how they protected on the lift.

Oh, and I checked my Tesla account and it still shows the 2/8 to 3/8 delivery window that it gave me right after I put the order in. I have had no contact from them yet.

I hope I can take delivery before they change the battery requirements. When I first contacted the local center two days before I put my order in, there was one black model Y available in inventory and the sales woman told me to buy that one. But I did not want black and was not sure I would actually order the car so I skipped. May live to regret that decision.

However there still seem to be a lot of model 3 RWD in inventory if I get too worried about not getting the Y in time.

With fees, credits and taxes, my cost of model 3 seems to be $38k to $40k and $50k for the model Y. So if it comes to it I would save $10k by getting a model 3. But after going through all this, I may end up just paying the extra $7500 and cursing the IRS regulators.

After all, when it was $66k, I would have been happy getting a $7500 credit. Now without the credit I still save $13k and am complaining.

Oh, and I checked my Tesla account and it still shows the 2/8 to 3/8 delivery window that it gave me right after I put the order in. I have had no contact from them yet.
Usually the delivery date window narrows to 3 weeks and then around 2 then you know you’re getting close and probably will be contacted soon.

With fees, credits and taxes, my cost of model 3 seems to be $38k to $40k and $50k for the model Y. So if it comes to it I would save $10k by getting a model 3. But after going through all this, I may end up just paying the extra $7500 and cursing the IRS regulators.
A $3750 credit may still be on the table after Feb, but I agree $7500 is less likely. But I can live with either, or none.

I've been on the fence for years, but with the price decreases I've scheduled a Model Y test drive for later this week. I have seen Tesla owners share their thoughts here and there on ER.org - just thought I'd solicit input from actual Tesla owners all in one place as I make a MYLR buy/not decision. What I think I know...:blush:
  • I know Tesla build quality has been awful, I'm told it's improved significantly, but still not perfect.
  • I know the Model Y was known for surprisingly rough ride quality even rattles, I'm told that has improved considerably.
  • I know insurance is significantly more than an equivalent ICE or hybrid, I'll have to accept that, or not.
  • I know Teslas go through tires faster than most vehicles, as they're relatively heavy.
  • I know while maintenance is less, when there are maintenance issues out of warranty, they are not cheap and options are limited (you can't go to most mechanics like an ICE vehicle). I do expect lifetime maintenance costs to be lower than ICE, along with charging vs gasoline.
  • I know I will never achieve the 330 mile published range, but I will be charging at home almost entirely, and plan on 200 miles max mostly. We will still have one ICE-hybrid vehicle.
  • I'm open to the idea but I wonder how I'll feel about having almost everything controlled via touchscreen, with almost no conventional buttons/controls. IME many of the controls in conventional cars are set and rarely touched again, so a touchscreen might not be a big adjustment.
  • I know the window for a $7500 tax credit may have already closed (if they already have orders through Feb). Might extend into March, but might be reduced by half when they clarify battery production requirements.
  • I wouldn't be surprised if FSD takes another 10 years or more. I am not buying with any hope of FSD. Not sure Enhanced AutoPilot is even on my radar.
  • Cool as they look, I don't want the larger wheels (rougher ride and more curb rash).
  • I plan to have a NEMA 14-50 outlet installed in our garage, and use a mobile connector (vs a Tesla wall connector). There's room in our 200 amp service.
  • And yes I know they are not zero emissions vehicles, I know and accept those tradeoffs.
Any comments, preferably from owners and other non-haters, about things you wished you'd known and didn't before you bought one.

I have owned a 2022 Tesla Model Y Long Range for about 15 months now. All of your concerns are valid but not things to be overly worried about.

I have had exactly zero build issues with the car. I reviewed some online videos about what to look for on delivery and that helped. Maybe I got lucky. I did understand build quality was an issue but got significantly better 3 or 4 years ago. Some things just take time.

I do not find the ride rough at all. Actually quite smooth. I think the low center of gravity and added weight help smooth out the ride. It also handles very well.

I went back and looked up past insurance for a 2013 Pathfinder. I now pay $822 for the Tesla. In 2020 I paid $667. Both are for 6 months and I do carry some things a bit higher than they need to be. I also had 2 college kids on the policy then so that may have had some impact. Higher yes. A lot, over 3 years, I don't think so.

I have 11000 miles on the car and have not rotated the tires yet. That is on my list ASAP. I don't think the tires have worn any worse than past cars I have had. I did have a nail in the tire a few months ago. Luckily I bought a 3rd party spare (Teslas do not come with a spare) and am now glad. Getting the hole fixed took a lot of calls as tire places were reluctant. It seems there is a layer of stick on foam inside the tire to help reduce road noise. No one wanted to work on that. I did finally find a place (and they ended up fixing it for free).

As previously mentioned, I have not spent any money on standard maintenance. I suppose I should get a 'check-up' at some point. Just the normal savings on oil changes and other things that invariably go wrong with ICE engines just don't exist. I suppose when there is an issue it may well be expensive.

I charge almost exclusively at home on a 240V/50A line I had an electrician put in. In FL FPL is about $.13/Kwh, so very cheap. In town I get about 300-310 miles to a full charge (estimate). On the highway about 250-260 (estimate). Have never come close to 0 miles left, even on a road trip as the Tesla map app lets you know where to charge. We also have an ICE BMW X3 we have used for long road trips.

The touchscreen took a while to get used to. Things did change a lot on the screens with each update to SW but less so recently. Once used to it it is not an issue. Most things can be controlled with voice commands but I only use a few. Tesla should publish a definitive list of voice commands but I have yet to find one. I do wish they had a heads up display as I don't like that I have to take my eyes off the road to look at the screen.

I purchased outside the tax credit windows so can not speak to that.

I have no interest in FSD. Most of my trips are short and would not need FSD. I don't trust it. Maybe when ALL cars have FSD it will work but until then, . . . . I do find the adaptive cruise control does need a bit of work. The phantom braking is a thing and scares the hell out of you the first few times it does it. On a long straight road if another car makes a left in front of me about 1/4 mile ahead, the cruise control doesn't like that. I don't know why but I have had a few phantom brakes during those situations. The sensors also don't like a certain mailbox when I take a left off my street. Don't know why.

The standard wheels and caps are fine. There are so many Tesla related things out there, if you change your mind you can get them later.

As stated, I have the 50A line in the garage with the 14-50 connector. I bought the connector from Tesla for $35 (at the time) and the electrician put in the outlet. I made clear what I was trying to do with the outlet but the electrician didn't understand what outlet type I wanted (I need a different electrician?). Have had no issues with this setup. When I get under 100 miles, I plug in at night and have a charge scheduled for 1215am. Ready by morning. I get about 29m/hr added.

[mod edit]

Going from a Nissan Pathfinder, probably the dullest car ever, to the Tesla Y has been great. I have no regrets at all about the switch. The only things I miss from the Pathfinder is the hitch (for bikes) and the racks (for kayaks). There are racks available for the Y but I don't like the idea of clamping racks and a 60lb kayak to a glass roof. But I see them with racks often. We got racks for the BMW so that is no longer an issue.

Good luck with whatever decision you make.

G

Last edited by a moderator:
Very informative!

On phantom breaking - I did have to deal with that some at first, but I have not experienced it in quite a while. It probably has to do with software updates.

Anyway - on my long road trips this summer and early fall I usually had my foot resting on the accelerator in case I needed to press on it a bit to overcome what appeared to be phantom braking. You sense immediately the car just starts to slow a bit so you can correct it. A sudden short road surface color change can trigger it. But I haven't experienced this in a long time now, so I think some of this has been fixed. But my last long road trip was early October.

The car will react more strongly to some things like a car putting their brakes on while changing lanes but still slightly in your lane, or cars turning off the road ahead of you, or even crossing ahead of you at an intersection with no associated signal. These are just the car being more conservative than needed, so I don't consider this to be phantom breaking. It's pretty automatic now that I press on the accelerator slightly to have the car slow down less when I feel sure it's clear, then let up and have the car take over when we are past the situation. So yes, in cruise you can override the car speed by pressing on the accelerator.

When driving through construction, particularly interstate construction, I do not use auto steer as the car can get confused with numerous unclear lane markings and doesn't like no lane markings and some of those construction sections are just awful with lines going every which way. Best to just steer yourself and you can still use TACC if appropriate.

On the long road trips I find the car takes care of most of the detailed driving with TACC and auto steer, making it a much more relaxing drive for the driver. However you have to supervise what the car is doing and in particular keep your eyes on the road ahead. The car will scold you if it thinks you aren't paying attention or don't have enough torsional pressure on the wheel/yoke. Yes, there is even a camera watching you and it will scold if it thinks you've looked away too long. And I guess my arms and hands aren’t heavy enough for it to detect them resting on the yoke when the road is straight. I don't mind the scolds as I think it's important for safe driving. But it is amusing to have the car supervising my driving at the same time I am supervising its driving.

Last edited:
Took delivery of my 2022 Model 3 Long Range in August. I like the car more every time I drive it. I look for excuses to drive now, lol. No problems with the build on mine, looked it over thoroughly at delivery and was perfect.
Installed the wall charger in the garage and even added solar to the house. Absolutely love this car.

Your car looks great, and I see you took the wheel covers off. Looks better without them.

Moral of the story - quit hitting deer?

It’s impressive that you hit a deer at 70 mph and still were able to drive.

I know, it’s tough in TX too. You really got to watch it out at dusk.

I suppose the collision warning sensors couldn't sense a white tail coming out of nowhere. Seems that is a problem that if solved, could save the auto industry lots of time and money.

Good luck with whatever decision you make.
Thanks for your informative post, along with several others earlier.

I did order a MYLR, due in March. Looking forward to it.

I believe the car itself will use the brakes occasionally now for maintenance reasons, software update last year.

Sudden stops - hard to believe that’s all regen, but maybe I’m wrong.
Brakes. There was an option introduced to keep regenerative braking constant utilizing the disk brakes. In prior releases, when it got cold or the battery was too full, regenerative braking didn't slow down as much, giving inconsistent braking. Now it's all the same at 80° or 0°.

I saw firsthand how sudden emergency braking works. The brake pedal is depressed by a cylinder above it. When I first got my Y, a guy pulled out of a driveway onto an unrestricted highway and stopped waiting to be tboned. I was going 65mph when he pulled out. Long before I could react, the technology did, slamming the brakes on fully and letting the antilocks do their thing. When my foot finally started moving to hit the brake, it wasn't there. It popped up shortly after.

I have a model Y LR with 19 inch wheels on order.

I was looking at the inventory and there are several model Y with the 4680 structural battery pack models with 20 inch wheels listed as "coming soon".

They are about the same price, but have only about 270 miles range compared to the 330 that the one on order would have.

I read some reviews that said that the structural battery pack had a more solid feeling ride. But in the land of pot holes I worry about getting the larger wheels.

I wonder how much of the production out of Austin will be this model in the near future and if it will affect the delivery speed of our orders for the MYLR.

And, oh, aren't the 4680 batteries made in the USA? Maybe this is a move to meet the battery requirements for the credit?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom