Input From Tesla Owners?

Midpack,

When you did the test drive was regenerative braking turned on? Was it hard to get used to?

The way things seem to be going, the first time I will sit in tesla is when I pick it up and I will have to drive 100 miles to get home.
For the Model Y/3. While regen is always on (not at all new tech BTW, hybrids have had it for decades), what you're probably hearing about is the mode that translates to one pedal driving, that STOPPING MODE setting is HOLD. I did do a test drive, with HOLD on, and while it's very different I am certain I will get used to it and learn to like it in just a few days. It's only different in that the cars slows and stops faster than other cars you may be used to (it doesn't coast), but it's not so alarming that it should startle you or following vehicles. From everything I've read, most owners much prefer HOLD and one pedal driving. You can still use the brake pedal to stop more aggressively, but ordinarily you won't use the brake pedal often in HOLD mode.

CREEP is like all the other cars you've owned, you brake per normal (still regen, just less), and when you lift off the car will creep forward. If you're nervous about driving it for the first time, just put stopping mode in CREEP until you get a chance to try HOLD. I doubt I will ever use anything but HOLD.

Watch this https://www.tesla.com/support/videos/watch/stopping-mode-model-3-and-model-y

I'm a little bummed today as my est delivery date moved from Mar 20-31 to Apr 7 to May 19. Other buyers on TMC with the same order date as mine are reporting same delay...:(

maxresdefault.jpg

Last edited:
Interesting. Our refresh Model X does not have creep or roll as options. No regenerative braking options either.

As I let up on the accelerator, the car starts to slow. It’s not alarming. It’s gradual at first and then more aggressive. Just press back down a little to slow less quickly if you prefer. I find controlling the speed and slowing with the accelerator very easy - it’s extremely precise and I really enjoy that level of control.

I drive in Chill Mode and find that very comfortable.

Last edited:
I'm a little bummed today as my est delivery date moved from Mar 20-31 to Apr 7 to May 19. Other buyers on TMC with the same order date as mine are reporting same delay...:(
Bummer!

But note that the dates are sometimes pulled back in per individual.

End of quarter delivery rush can get a little crazy.

Thanks for the breaking hints.

Sorry to hear that your order got pushed Midpack.

However, all may not be lost.

I saw some video speculation that Tesla is planning to raise the price back to $66k after March 1 once they are sure that the credit is a done deal. Maybe the IRS will end up pushing the battery requirements back to 2024 like it seemed before this current postponement.

One guy had tried to delay his model 3 delivery after he had been assigned. Apparently if you skip your car, your order is put in "hold" status. He got a letter saying that orders in hold status after March 1 may be cancelled.

Just my luck. We have been having April-like weather for the past three weeks but around the end of the month when I hope to pick up my Tesla the forecast is for snow showers almost every day that week.

One thing that nobody talks about for folks who have a Tesla and another ICE vehicle is that after getting used to the Tesla features some alarming habits try to carry over. I can't tell you how many times I've forgotten to turn off DWs Wrangler. I have forgotten to put it in park a couple of times and opened the door to get out and found it driving off.

Be careful out there.

When approaching a red light with no car in front of you, you are responsible for stopping unless you have FSD so cancel TACC. Duh, like in a regular car, but TACC doesn’t turn off under some speed limit. The thing is the Tesla does a very nice job with TACC at lights and in stop and go traffic when there IS a car in front of you. You get a little spoiled.

Last edited:
I saw some video speculation that Tesla is planning to raise the price back to $66k after March 1 once they are sure that the credit is a done deal. Maybe the IRS will end up pushing the battery requirements back to 2024 like it seemed before this current postponement.
While I expect more price increases ***, I doubt the MYLR would go back to $66K. It was $65,990 at the end of last year and production became MUCH greater than demand, their inventory increased substantially at least relative to Tesla inventory norms - they had to drop prices or production. The initial drop to $52,990 (now $54,990), along with the Fed tax credit (Jan-Feb), flushed out more orders than they knew what to do with. With Austin still ramping (even higher production), and more legacy EV's coming to market (few real competitors so far), the *** sweet spot to match production and demand is somewhere between $55K and $66K. That will determine where Tesla pricing stabilizes almost entirely. We'll see.

I'm not holding my breath re: the battery clarification. If it comes through, all the better for me, but mineral sources aren't going to change anytime soon.

Last edited:
One thing that nobody talks about for folks who have a Tesla and another ICE vehicle is that after getting used to the Tesla features some alarming habits try to carry over. I can't tell you how many times I've forgotten to turn off DWs Wrangler. I have forgotten to put it in park a couple of times and opened the door to get out and found it driving off.

Be careful out there.

Yep. While I seldom drive DH's car, I usually forget to turn it off :LOL:. Told him he'll need to get an EV soon as it's too annoying going back and forth. We had similar issues years ago when I got a new car with all the parking assist bells and whistles. His car only had the backup camera and several times I almost hit something waiting for the beep, beep. He upgraded his car within the year specifically for that reason...didn't trust me not to bang up his beloved :LOL:.

Well I just got told to schedule my delivery appointment. It offered three days starting 2/24, so I picked 2/24 to keep things moving along.

It said that each appointment is only 15 minutes long, so I don't know how that fits in with checking carefully for manufacturing defects. I read someone say that when you pay in advance they have no incentive to stay with you to check things out. But I think my only option is to pay in advance due to out of state delivery.

I had been offered to sign up for a webinar on 2/17 where I could ask pre-delivery questions, but when I went back to the web site to register the earliest date was 3/3. Guess it filled up fast.

I had planned to be calm and collected, but my adrenaline kicked up anyway.

It said that the date is subject to change. I hope they do not jerk me around too much since I have to get a friend to drive me and also work out someone to stay with my mother while I am gone.

Well I just got told to schedule my delivery appointment. It offered three days starting 2/24, so I picked 2/24 to keep things moving along.

It said that each appointment is only 15 minutes long, so I don't know how that fits in with checking carefully for manufacturing defects. I read someone say that when you pay in advance they have no incentive to stay with you to check things out. But I think my only option is to pay in advance due to out of state delivery.

I had been offered to sign up for a webinar on 2/17 where I could ask pre-delivery questions, but when I went back to the web site to register the earliest date was 3/3. Guess it filled up fast.

It said that the date is subject to change. I hope they do not jerk me around too much since I have to get a friend to drive me and also work out someone to stay with my mother while I am gone.
Congrats. I'm jealous but still happy for you.

Other owners have stated you have 72 hours/100 miles to notify of any concerns you want taken care of by Tesla service. And they recommend you inspect for major obvious issues on delivery, and go over the car with a fine toothed comb once you get home. Though IIRC you may live 100 miles from the Service Center, in which case you'll have to decide how much time and how far you want to go with delivery inspection, or get an agreement from a rep to follow up?

This is from a UK site, but to give a general idea.
Exterior before driving away
  • Check the specification is what you expected.
  • Check the paintwork for blemishes, damage including dents, stone chips and swirl marks.
  • Look down each side of the car at an angle and try and catch the light so any dents show up.
  • Check the alloy wheels for any damage, primarily around the rim, but the wheels can also have damage on the spokes.
  • Check the glass and lights for chips and cracks/ Also check for condensation in the lights, and while a small amount is normal, make sure anything that worries you is at least discussed.
  • Check all doors and windows work.
  • Have your car put on a charger at the Service Center to verify that it will accept a charge.
  • M3 Check the rear glass for any sign of cracking as this is a common failure areas
Interior before driving away
  • Check for any obvious damage to the seats, the plastics, and the kick plates on all four doors and the boot.
  • Check any ordered accessories are present. You should at least have a UMC charger with appropriate adapters.
  • Check mileage. It should be relatively low at no higher than 50 miles if new.
  • Check rear view camera, if necessary select reverse to do so.
  • M3 Check UK plug is provided with the UMC. Some have been delivered with Schuko plugs
  • MS/MX Check the CCS Adapter plug is included
Exterior within 24 hours / 100 miles
  • Check the panel gaps to ensure there are no unusually large or small gaps, and they should match on both sides of the car.
  • Check panels lie flat. As an example, it's been known for the doors to be slightly proud of the surrounding panels and the exposed edge is prone to damage. Check this along the length of the panel edges as it can align in the middle but be high at one extreme and low at the other as if twisted. Also check around the headlights as some cars have had distorted trim between the bumper and lights. It's worth doing this a couple of times as temperature can have an effect.
  • Recheck the paint, but this time play attention for defects such as excessive orange peel and buffer marks which tend to only be visible in good light. Tesla allow up to 100 miles to report any issues so if your journey home after collection is longer than this then check either before you leave.
  • Check the trim. There is a fair bit of decorative bits and bobs which are simply stuck on and hammered into place, primarily around the windows. Check the lines flow.
  • Check tyre pressures (which can be done using the built-in display).
  • Check wipers and washer jets operate.
  • Check general driving characteristics
  • MX, check the front wheels don't touch the wheel arch when applying full lock
Interior within 24 hours
  • Check all the controls including window operation work as expected.
  • Check any options work including heated rear seats, sun roof, and cornering lights if fitted.
  • Check rear seats fold flat
  • Check music from a variety of sources. Ensure DAB stations can be found. Check USB music plays without interference.
  • Adjust and check side mirrors function.
  • Check the main screen works by selecting a variety of options and displays.
Technology within 24 hours
  • If you have ordered autopilot, check if has calibrated after about 100 miles, ideally on motorways.
  • Check for vibrations and excessive wind noise from the car.
  • Check you can charge the car.
  • Pair your mobile device and try making and receiving a call.
  • Check all key fobs, remote access and other means of unlocking and accessing the car function
  • Check the app has registered the car
  • M3, check all options with respect to unlocking including any keycards work
  • M3, check for brake low fluid warnings
If everything is fine, enjoy your car. If not, then make a list and raise with the service centre.

Thanks for the list.
I will do my best to check things over.
When I first asked questions I was to!d that I was SOL on the 100 mile deal.
Crossing my fingers that the build quality has improved since those check everything posts.

It just occurred to me that picking up at 3pm on Friday I will be hitting rush hour coming home. Hopefully it will not be too slick and the traffic will just be slow.

I probably should have scheduled saturday.

The 15 minute window was in place when I picked up the M3 in 12/19 in Portland but there isn’t much they can do if you go a little over. Most dealerships are slow. Not Tesla, they are very streamlined so it’s important to be on time. I took someone with me to go over the car while I handled the paperwork. Also that way there was someone to drive the Mini Cooper. No major issues with the car & even if there had been I had to take possession for the tax credit. Fast forward three years & not much has changed except waiting for the IRS to make a ruling. I hope the IRS moves slowly.
I’m going to do the 2/17 webinar, it did appear to fill quickly. The order was placed 1/21 & received a delivery window today of 3/21-3/31. I feel fortunate as delivery dates are now as far out as May. Tesla should have no problem with 50% growth this quarter.

It doesn’t take that long to inspect the exterior and you can see the interior from the outside. They didn’t rush us, but we had to accept delivery before getting inside the vehicle. There were two of us.

We took our time and really went over it, noted a few minor things but there was really very little and most we didn’t want to mess with. They took some pics. Our car really was in great shape.

The 100 miles is really just about exterior cosmetic defects. Paint defects, wheel/tire cosmetic defects, glass defects. Stuff that would possibly be damaged driving. You need to check those.

Last edited:
It doesn’t take that long to inspect the exterior and you can see the interior from the outside. They didn’t rush us, but we had to accept delivery before getting inside the vehicle. There were two of us.

We took our time and really went over it, noted a few minor things but there was really very little and most we didn’t want to mess with. They took some pics. Our car really was in great shape.

The 100 miles is really just about exterior cosmetic defects. Paint defects, wheel/tire cosmetic defects, glass defects. Stuff that would possibly be damaged driving. You need to check those.

It helps to take a check list. There are several available online.

Crossing my fingers that the build quality has improved since those check everything posts.
By all accounts online, and I’ve seen hundreds, build quality has definitely improved substantially. That’s part of the reason I was finally willing to buy one now. Enjoy the delivery and after!

Be careful out there.
I've done the opposite and actually forgot that you have to turn an ICE car ON first!
I drive a Tesla as my only car. Once I went to drive my mother to a doctor appointment user her ICE car - I got in her car, put it in reverse, stepped on the gas, and nothing happened. It took me a while to realize that I never turned the ignition key. I was embarrassed but my mom thought it was pretty funny.

I am working out the install plan for my Tesla Wall Charger. It seems that I will have to make use of the 24 foot cord on the charger to reach from the charger to the car.

One possibility is that I would just leave the cord on the floor around the back of the car and plug in on the far side of the car.

The other possibility is that I would place the cord over the top of the car and then plug in on the far side. Say from the front passenger door to the charger on the rear drive side.

Aside from the obvious tripping over the cord etc., are there any worries that jump to mind such as damaging the paint or something like that?

The other possibility is that I would place the cord over the top of the car and then plug in on the far side.

I don't have a Tesla, but I do have a PHEV. What I did was put a couple of hooks in the garage ceiling. The cable from the charger goes up and over the car, then hangs down to where I plug it into the car. When not in use, I just move it to the back wall of the garage where I can hang it over something. Works great for me, so maybe you could consider doing something like that.

I used braumeister's idea to route my charger cable over the top of my EV on three large ceiling hooks. The cord is stiff enough to allow me to push it back over the last hook and hang the J1772 plug on my garage door opener so that it stays out of the way when not in use.

Attachments

• ESVE1.jpg
    ESVE1.jpg
    75.4 KB · Views: 41
  • ESVE2.jpg
    ESVE2.jpg
    77.3 KB · Views: 38
Thanks. I will look into that idea but have to see how garage door fits into the picture.

If I back in I can probably do that.

I did some quick measurements and it just might reach to the drive head first position. Will certainly work for the back in.

I used braumeister's idea to route my charger cable over the top of my EV on three large ceiling hooks. The cord is stiff enough to allow me to push it back over the last hook and hang the J1772 plug on my garage door opener so that it stays out of the way when not in use.

Thanks for posting the pics. DW parks in the middle stall of our 3 car garage that is 30' deep. If we get an EV, I'll have to do an install similar to yours.

Also - do you have to have the EV panel reachable - do you have to flip a switch on it or do something else at the panel to charge? Or can you just grab your cord and plug it in?

Reason I ask, the best place for my box would be behind a storage unit.

Last edited:
The Tesla chargers have a button on the handle that plugs into the car. No buttons on the wall charger.

Thanks for posting the pics. DW parks in the middle stall of our 3 car garage that is 30' deep. If we get an EV, I'll have to do an install similar to yours.

Also - do you have to have the EV panel reachable - do you have to flip a switch on it or do something else at the panel to charge? Or can you just grab your cord and plug it in?

Reason I ask, the best place for my box would be behind a storage unit.

Just plug and charge for my EUV, no button or switch. Any settings are done by changes to the program in the car.

Back
Top Bottom