Input needed for a family house transfer.

The value of the property is stated as $25,000. I'm having difficulty picturing a house of that value actually being habitable. :confused:

There are some in WV, but you have to look for them since they are "forty miles from anywhere" and with similar tax bills.

For the OP, I'd also simply pay the taxes for him, you can probably arrange to have the County either send the bill to you or at least notify you when it's due. That saves them the bother of all the collection efforts until you learn of it. If you want to do more I'd for sure contact a local attorney who knows all the nuances and unexpected consequences of trying to be a nice guy.

He hasn't asked for help at all... the Wife read the news in the paper about the list of unpaid property tax. Our son says he will pay us back since he is supposed to get the house... If its left.

This is not much of a place, 650 SqFt on a 1/4 acre, with an assessed value of around $25000.

What are the taxes on something like that? $100 a year? Also, isn't there some sort of exemption or deferment for low income?

What are the taxes on something like that? $100 a year? Also, isn't there some sort of exemption or deferment for low income?

Here in NC property taxes are halved for those age 65+ with household income (counting everything) of ~$34k or less (inflation adjusted annually)

Here is a question that you should ask yourself and answer up front to avoid resentment later down the road when/if this gets messier:

"How much are you willing to gift your brother -- either per year or total for your lifetime?"

It seems knowing this upfront when thinks are clear would be a really good idea.

-gauss

Before we were told the taxes were $146 a year I was thinking that they were in the thousands.

For $146 I'd just pay them. In fact, I'd pay a lot more than $146 a year to NOT own a property that someone irresponsible will be living in.

Before we were told the taxes were $146 a year I was thinking that they were in the thousands.

For $146 I'd just pay them. In fact, I'd pay a lot more than $146 a year to NOT own a property that someone irresponsible will be living in.

+1

There is no way I would want to be anywhere near the ownership of OP's brother's house.

Yes, paying the taxes is a bit of enabling, but I spend more than that on a dinner out several times a year.

For such a small amount I would just pay them. If the tax money is important then see if you can put a lien on the property for the years you are/have been paying them. From what you say of his background he may eventually sell it for some cash to party with his "friends". Not much you can do about that but it may slow him down a bit. It sounds like the lot is where most of the value lies.

Cheers!

From what you say of his background he may eventually sell it for some cash to party with his "friends". Not much you can do about that but it may slow him down a bit. It sounds like the lot is where most of the value lies.

Thats a big part of looking into getting it out of his name. Hes has an on and off GF that almost talked him into signing it over to her... This is the same one who got into a major fight with him, and helped her brother beat the hell out of him. He went to the hospital, then jail and then court.. It got thrown out since she was the deemed the aggressor. And heard she back living with him again... :facepalm:

Thats a big part of looking into getting it out of his name. Hes has an on and off GF that almost talked him into signing it over to her... This is the same one who got into a major fight with him, and helped her brother beat the hell out of him. He went to the hospital, then jail and then court.. It got thrown out since she was the deemed the aggressor. And heard she back living with him again... :facepalm:

You can lead a horse to water, well you know the rest. In your shoes I'd just pay the taxes yearly and back away from your DB and his complicated life story. There's not much else you can do

I wish you luck. My experience has been there is nothing you can really do to change his behavior or what he might do in the future. My best friend of 55+ years always had good jobs until he started drinking too much (think alcoholic) as he got older he added abusing opiates with the excessive drinking until he lost his job. Lost his wife, home, car, everything he managed to save, etc. Was thrown in jail for DUI a few times and generally messed up his life to where he was trying to live off $1k a month SS to pay for a room and something to eat. I thought he had hit bottom and would start to turn around. It was depressing to see and depressing to try and help when he never took advantage of programs that could have helped. I even went to a few Al-Anon meetings. I tried to help but after a couple of years I realized that anything I could do was going to be ineffective. Eventually life and drugs/alcohol finally got too much for him.
Is this kind of behavior starting to sound a little familiar?

The property taxes are low and can be covered by you if you think it will help but be prepared to see the house sold regardless of what you do. It may get destroyed and at that time you will have to decide if you want to continue enabling his choice of lifestyle.
It is depressing to experience dealing with a family member or close friend who has these kind of problems.

Cheers!

Back
Top Bottom