Instant Pot IP-DUO60 7-in1 Pressure Cooker

Like Hermit, being new at this pressure cooking thing I didn't know the difference between a trivet and a veggie steamer. I found one just like this one at the grocery store today. The pressure cooker came with a trivet but not a steamer. It opens to 8.5", the pot is a bit over 8 3/4", lucky break on that one.

Attachments

• steamer_basket.jpg
    steamer_basket.jpg
    18.6 KB · Views: 25
I just steamed some beets. They came out great and this was much less fuss that boiling them on the stove which takes forever. I just placed them on the trivet since they were large.

Like Hermit, being new at this pressure cooking thing I didn't know the difference between a trivet and a veggie steamer. I found one just like this one at the grocery store today. The pressure cooker came with a trivet but not a steamer. It opens to 8.5", the pot is a bit over 8 3/4", lucky break on that one.
The one I got is a little bigger than the pot so it doesn't quite open all the way. I think it will work for most stuff.

Well - I tried the baby new potatoes recipe in the recipe booklet that came with the pot. Said 11 mins. They were way overcooked.

I was trying to figure out what would be a reasonable time.

Then I found the same recipe online by the same person - and it says 7 mins!!!

Darn - I wish I'd known that the first time!!!

Ooooh: Roast Potatoes - from the pressure cooker! • hip pressure cooking

I got mine yesterday and made an amazing chicken, veggie and bean soup/stew last night.

Saute function - sautéed one large chopped onion, one huge carrot cut into large dice and 2 minced garlic cloves for 4-5 minutes.

Then Added
1 1/2 cups of chicken stock
1 can of drained no-salt diced tomatos
1 drained and rinsed can of kidney beans
3 boneless, skinless chicken breasts (each cut in half)
1 tsp Italian seasoning
1 tsp fennel seed
1 tsp fresh ground black pepper
1 dash of dried chilie flakes

Set to poultry for 15 minutes. Let cool for 10 then used a wooden spoon to slowly release the pressure.

Shredded the chicken very easily with two spoons right in the pot. Served into large pasta bowls and topped with a little parmesan and franks hot sauce.

Insanely good and so easy!! Having leftovers for lunch right now.

Well - I tried the baby new potatoes recipe in the recipe booklet that came with the pot. Said 11 mins. They were way overcooked.

I was trying to figure out what would be a reasonable time.

Then I found the same recipe online by the same person - and it says 7 mins!!!

Darn - I wish I'd known that the first time!!!

Ooooh: Roast Potatoes - from the pressure cooker! • hip pressure cooking

What I've settled on for potatoes is 4 minutes steam if they are cut into "potato salad" size, and 8 minutes steam when I just cut the taters in half for eventual mashing.

I keep a little cheat sheet with cooking times/conditions in my IP. I've had my Instant Pot since last February, and the more I use it the more comfortable I become making educated guesses about cook time.

Catching up on this thread... I think I previously mentioned this board was my impetus for asking for one for Christmas last year... So far:

Pulled Pork probably a half-dozen times, including my own homemade rub and several homemade sauces. So good, my in-laws asked me to make it again. Best part about it, pulled pork becomes a Monday night dish... you can do it after you get home from work instead of an all-day affair!
Beef/Bean chili a couple of times - same as above, can do it easily at night now.
Pork Chops with potatoes, onions and carrots
Pot Roast

Then a couple of weeks ago, I made the Thanksgiving stuffing in it and, of course, it came out amazingly well and very easy to clean up.

I need to do more... more... MORE pressure cooking! Soups this winter are on the menu, I think. I'm going to try that chicken/bean recipe above.

I made the turkey thighs tonight, sadly without the gravy. I charred the things on the grill and cooked on poultry 60 minutes. The Au jus was was excellent and would have made incredible gravy(next time). The mushrooms were almost unnoticeable as were the onions. The thighs were browned and falling apart.:D

http://instantpot.com/instant-pot-braised-turkey-thighs/

Now I'm watching a infomercial on "The Power Pressure Cooker XL", I'm learning some capabilities I need to check out.

In about thirty minutes or so I'm going to have the chance to try my first meal cooked in the Instant Pot - top round London broil with onions and red potatoes cooked for 90 minutes on high pressure. I hope that doesn't overcook things but that's what the recipe called for. There is surprisingly little cooking odor but I guess that's an indication of a good seal.

In about thirty minutes or so I'm going to have the chance to try my first meal cooked in the Instant Pot - top round London broil with onions and red potatoes cooked for 90 minutes on high pressure. I hope that doesn't overcook things but that's what the recipe called for. There is surprisingly little cooking odor but I guess that's an indication of a good seal.
90 mins? That does seem long. Interesting to see how it comes out.

What I've settled on for potatoes is 4 minutes steam if they are cut into "potato salad" size, and 8 minutes steam when I just cut the taters in half for eventual mashing.

I keep a little cheat sheet with cooking times/conditions in my IP. I've had my Instant Pot since last February, and the more I use it the more comfortable I become making educated guesses about cook time.
Thanks much. I may try 7 mins quick release for whole small potatoes or fingerlings. I really don't do potatoes that much anyway, and I probably prefer them "dry-roasted" i.e. in the oven which takes about 35 mins.

Now if I made potato salad - I might go longer. But I always cut the potatoes after steaming them. Steaming them and let cool a bit, then the peel comes off easily and it's easy to slice them thin.

Ages since I did potato salad though.

90 minutes at high pressure seems like complete overkill to me. We'll be very interested in the result.

+1

That does sound like a lot of time. I cooked a 4 lb pot roast (no potatoes) for 75 minutes a few days ago and i thought it was a bit overcooked.
Yeah - I wondered how a whole piece of meat would work. I don't like overcooked beef. Pork shoulder - OK. Well, maybe chuck roast and brisket handle overcooking well, but I'm not sure about the other cuts.

Hmmm - well, my Laura Randolph Instant Pot Electric Pressure Cooker cookbook has a 3lb chuck pot roast at 1 hour high pressure, a 4lb beef brisket and corned beef both at 1.5 hrs high pressure, so what do I know?

Well - that's 60 mins rather than 75 mins for the 3lb chuck roast.

Instant pot chart (which does NOT include weight?!?) indicates 40 mins max.

This page ran experiments on a smaller piece of meat - 1.2lbs - and 45 mins gave the better result. Doesn't help figure for 3 to 4 lbs though. http://www.pressurecookrecipes.com/best-pot-roast-cooking-time-in-pressure-cooker/
But they use 45 mins on a 3lb roast here: http://www.pressurecookrecipes.com/pressure-cooker-pot-roast/

Last edited:
BTW here is where I found the recipe :Classic Pot Roast and Potatoes Recipe | Pressure Cooking Today

Results:

The meat was definitely done but we both tend to like it well done so we can live with that. The potatoes were way overdone to the point of being mushy. I ate one because I was really hungry but I threw the rest out. Next time I'll try the method of cooking them separately or later in the cooking cycle. For the meat I'll try cutting back on the cooking time or find another recipe to try out. Most seem to use shorter cook times.

Live and learn!

Very interesting thread I have had one of these pots on my "saved for later" list on Amazon for some time. I guess it's time to buy it.

BTW here is where I found the recipe :Classic Pot Roast and Potatoes Recipe | Pressure Cooking Today

Results:

The meat was definitely done but we both tend to like it well done so we can live with that. The potatoes were way overdone to the point of being mushy. I ate one because I was really hungry but I threw the rest out. Next time I'll try the method of cooking them separately or later in the cooking cycle. For the meat I'll try cutting back on the cooking time or find another recipe to try out. Most seem to use shorter cook times.

Live and learn!

I'm starting to get the feeling that there are a lot of recipes that are for other cooking methods that have been tagged as pressure cooking recipes because that is a "hot" thing in the industry now. I hope the cooking times that came with the Instant Pot are fairly accurate. I will check recipes against this list to make sure the directions are reasonable for a pressure cooker.

I've been pressure cooking for a long time, first with a stove top cooker and now with an Instant Pot. In general, you can cut the cooking time to 1/3 of regular cooking.

This doesn't apply to crock pot recipes in a pressure cooker. You can find how to convert those online somewhere.

I've seen instant pot recipes for pot roast that add the root veggies later. Seems like that would work well. And no more than 45 mins on the meat?

I'm only interested in doing things that take a long time on the stovetop or oven or crockpot like stews, soups and beans, and long time steaming veggies like artichokes and beets.

Well, at some point I'll try the Bain Marie stuff (custards) as I haven't been willing to mess with it in the oven.

On Tuesday I made a really great Mushroom Beef Barley Soup. I cooked it for 30 minutes. I used stew meat and it was perfect.

Last edited:
I'm only interested in doing things that take a long time on the stovetop or oven or crockpot like stews, soups and beans, and long time steaming veggies like artichokes and beets.

I have been using electric pressure cookers for the last 5 years and I use it exactly for the things you mention including artichokes. I don't do desert or anything else using the pressure cooker. The time savings are just incredible and I am sure I am saving a bundle on the electric bills.

I use it at least every two weeks, usually every week. We make a lot of soups, barley and rice. I no longer add veggies later. I just cut beef small and cook the soup on high for 10 minutes with veggies with 10 minute release time afterwards. The veggies are very soft but I like it like that now. Anything longer than 15 minute cooking time, I would probably put the veggies in later though.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum

I have been using electric pressure cookers for the last 5 years and I use it exactly for the things you mention including artichokes. I don't do desert or anything else using the pressure cooker. The time savings are just incredible and I am sure I am saving a bundle on the electric bills.

I use it at least every two weeks, usually every week. We make a lot of soups, barley and rice. I no longer add veggies later. I just cut beef small and cook the soup on high for 10 minutes with veggies with 10 minute release time afterwards. The veggies are very soft but I like it like that now. Anything longer than 15 minute cooking time, I would probably put the veggies in later though.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
For soup yes - the meat is in small pieces anyway. For pot roast though I added my carrots and potatoes later in the crock pot and I would do so in the pressure cooker too.

I made a beef stew today. Some stew meat from the grocery store already cut up, potatoes, carrots, and onions. Some seasoning from a Crock Pot brand pot roast seasoning packet. It came out great. Browned the meat then pressure cooked all for 25 minutes and then slow release. The potatoes and carrots were perfect. (I'm at 8700 feet altitude.)

PS. This is the first "meal" I've tried.

I made a beef stew today. Some stew meat from the grocery store already cut up, potatoes, carrots, and onions. Some seasoning from a Crock Pot brand pot roast seasoning packet. It came out great. Browned the meat then pressure cooked all for 25 minutes and then slow release. The potatoes and carrots were perfect. (I'm at 8700 feet altitude.)

PS. This is the first "meal" I've tried.

Great - thanks for sharing. I'm about to try a Mexican version of beef stew (aka carne guisada) and was wondering about the timing. Onions, roasted poblano strips, some tomatoes, and Mexican spices, of course.

Tried again today with a top round beef round - at least that's what it said on the label. This was all just made up on the spot - some cut up red onions, a bit of red cooking wine, a can of beef broth and 40 minutes cook time. Still somewhat overdone as the Thermapen food thermometer showed internal temperatures of 197° F, 185° F and the like. But not nearly as overcooked as last time. Next time I'll try 30 minutes. And maybe skip the broth and just use water.

And another lesson learned - leave the lid on loosely when browning the meat on Saute. Not doing so made a mess of spatters to clean up afterward. Or use the clear glass lid, which I have.

Oddly, the red potatoes were still too hard after 8 minutes, and another 5 didn't entirely cook them the way we like, still too hard, but okay. I think nuking them for an extra 30 seconds or so when we warm them up may work.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom