Internet phone service

And you can get another google voice number by adding another email, and transfer the landline number to that account.

I used to think the landline number was important (ported to tracphone), but it really fell by the wayside and I let it go...

I have used Google voice for 10 years or so. My previous landline number and my previous cell phone number are ported to it as well as another google voice number I originally had. It also serves as my voicemail for my cell phone. Porting was a one time $20 charge per number. Otherwise it is free. If you want to make international calls you have to deposit money in your google account but that is easy. International calls are then generally a few cents a minute. I think I deposited $20 a decade ago and have not run out but I rarely make international calls.

I have my cell phone set up so that if I dial an international number it routes the call through google voice rather than Verizon so that saves me money as well.

If you want a classic looking "landline" phone in your home I am sure there are solutions for this. Personall I think landlines are on their way out.

I've had MagicJack for years with no problems.

Only thing is that the longest phone call I can make is 90 minutes. My sister talks more than that when she calls.

You might want to upgrade your sister! (just kidding)

I've had MagicJack for years with no problems.

Only thing is that the longest phone call I can make is 90 minutes. My sister talks more than that when she calls.

Heh, heh, I've been able to get off the line with a couple of real "talkers" because my battery was about to die. Priceless!

I use Ooma now but I'd like to know how the free Google voice works..I'm not very savvy when it come to technology..Is it simple to use?

Our VOIP 'land line' is part of our Xfinity TV/Internet package. I honestly like having it. Initially (years ago) it was kind of unreliable, but now you can't tell the difference between it and a MaBell line.

We tried MagicJack several years ago. It sorta worked and we gave up once we had two cell phones. Which begs the question: If you have a cell phone, why do you need a "home" phone. Especially if each of you have a cell phone, why the need? YMMV

We tried MagicJack several years ago. It sorta worked and we gave up once we had two cell phones. Which begs the question: If you have a cell phone, why do you need a "home" phone. Especially if each of you have a cell phone, why the need? YMMV

It's not me so much as the DW wants to keep the landline phone number as literally hundreds of accounts have that number. So just trying to keep the better half happy.

I use Ooma now but I'd like to know how the free Google voice works..I'm not very savvy when it come to technology..Is it simple to use?
This is a pretty good video on how to set it up. Simple to set up and use in my opinion.
Plenty used ones for sale on EBAY but they are demanding ridiculously high prices for them. Someone bought one for $240 for one recently, that's insane, they used to be $50 brand new.

Last edited:
It's not me so much as the DW wants to keep the landline phone number as literally hundreds of accounts have that number. So just trying to keep the better half happy.

Ahh. Now I get it.:LOL:

I moved over to VOIPo.com last year, and it's been fantastic. Good customer service too. I recently saw they're even offering my renewal for another 2 years at half price so they want folks to stay and offer a decent incentive.

The one good thing about a regular phone jack is it can do faxes from the computer (my computer has a phone jack). Don't ask me why but medical places love faxes.

Switched from POTS to Ooma about ten years ago but used it very little. Gave it up a year ago and now we just use our cellphones. Have GV as a backup number I can give to anyone I don't want to give my cell number to, since GV forwards calls to my cell.

The one good thing about a regular phone jack is it can do faxes from the computer (my computer has a phone jack). Don't ask me why but medical places love faxes.

Medical places prefer faxes because they are much more secure than email.

Do a search on "free fax", here's the first hit for me. Several options for free faxes from your computer with only an internet connection. I've used them in years past, they worked fine for some limited number of faxes per day.

Many places have gone to secure messaging for things like this - you upload a scan of a doc to their website. That's encrypted and supposedly secure. I can't recall the last time I had to fax something.

https://www.lifewire.com/free-fax-services-2378048

-ERD50

Thanks for everyone's response. I decided to go with the Ooma Telo Air 2 since it seems to offer the most convenience in placement.

We will see how it goes.

I've used GV+Obi for 10 years now. They stopped selling the Obi-200 device last year. And Obitalk announced that they would not support firmware changes after Dec 2023. So for people just starting out, it's probably not a good option. Ooma is a popular alternative though it's not free. But it does have some support resources if you need it and they have 911 service which GV+Obi does not.

But honestly, the landline phone has very little value for us anymore. At one time, we had legitimate reasons for wanting to keep it: weak cell signal at the house, limited minutes in our cell plan, etc. None of that is valid anymore. We still have a weak cell signal but WiFi calling works flawlessly today. And every cell plan over $10/mo includes unlimited minutes and text.

The only real value is the number itself. But since it's GV, the number will work on any PC, tablet, cell phone, etc. Our landline handsets are old, clunky, and clearly obsolete. Next time the batteries die, they're going to the landfill along with all the wiring in the attic and jacks all over the house. We'll keep the GV home number but just use it on other devices.

I also successfully connected the Telo to my existing home wiring (that takes some care/instructions) but that wasn’t necessary either.

How did you connect your Ooma to the existing wiring? That sounds really handy! I have some old landline phones I'd like to use, in addition to my cordless phones.

I've had Ooma for years and really like it.

I've used GV+Obi for 10 years now. They stopped selling the Obi-200 device last year. And Obitalk announced that they would not support firmware changes after Dec 2023...............

Oh good, I can keep it a while, hopefully without problem when we move to the next County. We only keep the "land line" as a Mom and Dad line, and we wanted to keep the 3 cordless phones we had.

How did you connect your Ooma to the existing wiring? That sounds really handy! I have some old landline phones I'd like to use, in addition to my cordless phones.

I've had Ooma for years and really like it.

As I recall, the important thing is to make sure your existing phone service is physically disconnected. I believe fellow member CosmicAvenger explained why (sorry, I don’t have a reference). That could be an outside job, mine was in the garage.

You then directly plug in your Telo into an existing wall jack (a cable might be included, I don’t recall). Plug in your old phone to a different jack, pick up and see if you get a tone. Try making a call or calling yourself.

Last edited:
Thanks for everyone's response. I decided to go with the Ooma Telo Air 2 since it seems to offer the most convenience in placement.

We will see how it goes.
eBay is a good place to buy Telo boxes. I have bought three, IIRC in the $30 range. There is a code number on the back of the boxes. You just go to their web site, register with that code # and they set you up.

Most homes have a box on an outside wall where you will find the main phone line jack wiring, Just find and disconnect(unplug) the main telco phone jack to avoid a chance of electric shock and you should be able to plug your old phones into any existing jacks in the house and get a dial tone I did it with my Obi for more than ten years and have 5 phone extension rings in the house when someone calls my Google Voice number. I have a 2 way phone splitter from a wall jack to my obi and to an old phone and another cable from the obi to the router and that's it.
You should be able to google it if it does not work

Back
Top Bottom