IPA Beer Fans

Talking about freshness, I had an IPA in Costa Rica that had a hand-labelled date. That was unique. And it was at a little mountain resort pool bar, so I think it was like $1.50, charged to my room, which made it all the better!

Attachments

• IMG_3423.jpg
    IMG_3423.jpg
    456.2 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG_3422.jpg
    IMG_3422.jpg
    465.5 KB · Views: 31
There are so many different types of IPA. My wife is a fan of hazy IPA. I like variety in my IPA's, but my favorites are locals that don't have wide distribution. Radiant Haze from Toppling Goliath in Iowa is a highly rated IPA and probably has distribution in your area.

Was able to find some Radiant Haze, had one tonight, did not disappoint.

IPA is all I drink anymore. I like my ABV around 7%. When I’m in Northeast Ohio, Commodore Perry by Great Lakes Brewery is my #1. When I’m in TN it’s Voodoo Ranger, Sweetwater or Lagunitas, in that order. All of these are around $10/6-pack.

Great Lakes is a fantastic brewer. Their Dortmunder Gold, Edmund Fitzgerald porter and Eliot Ness amber lager are oustanding. Relatively few craft brewers take on the challenge of producing good lagers. I'd take a Dortmunder Gold over just about any IPA, and I like ales.

My favorite is Hopslam, by Bell's, 10% ABV. My BIL drank one after our morning round of golf, and it really hit him hard :LOL: It's a limited availability around February. Whole Foods usually carrys it, and some liquor stores. Usually around $20 per six pack, but it's really the equivalent punch of 2 beers.

https://bellsbeer.com/project/hopslam-ale/

Second favorite is Jai Alai, by Cigar City, 7.5% ABV

https://www.cigarcitybrewing.com/beer/jai-alai-ipa/

Lately I haven't had much beer for a variety of reasons. Old Fashioned and other cocktails are becoming more common. And to be honest, there are more "legal options" these days :cool:

American IPAs are too hoppy for me. British IPAs (e.g., Deuchars) are milder and quite tasty. Whatever happened to plain old pale ales? Beers like Sierra Nevada and Dale’s are more IPAs than PAs. About the only IPA I occasionally enjoy is the original one: Anchor’s Liberty Ale.

Here are 2 I enjoyed in New Mexico. I apologize for the photos, but they were cans I had to flatten.
Read the Happy Camper text at the bottom

I am curious about your signature. Could you splain?
Truly, Mike

American IPAs are too hoppy for me. British IPAs (e.g., Deuchars) are milder and quite tasty. Whatever happened to plain old pale ales? Beers like Sierra Nevada and Dale’s are more IPAs than PAs. About the only IPA I occasionally enjoy is the original one: Anchor’s Liberty Ale.

Try the (previously mentioned) Founder's All Day IPA. It's a 'session' IPA, lower alc ( ~ 4.5%?), and not too hoppy (nice flavor/aroma), and not very bitter at all.

Sierra Nevada original APA is nice too, IMO - not 'too'.

-ERD50

Try the (previously mentioned) Founder's All Day IPA. It's a 'session' IPA, lower alc ( ~ 4.5%?), and not too hoppy (nice flavor/aroma), and not very bitter at all.

Sierra Nevada original APA is nice too, IMO - not 'too'.

-ERD50
Thanks. I'm not a fan of citrusy/fruity beers either. I really like British bitters (Boddingtons) and pale ales (Sam Smith for BTD days). Some American beers come close (e.g., Goose Island Honkers Ale, which seems to have disappeared). I also like Sam Adams Boston Lager, which DRC726 mentioned. During the summer, pilsners and similar beers really hit the spot; in the winter, Guinness.

Thanks. I'm not a fan of citrusy/fruity beers either. I really like British bitters (Boddingtons) and pale ales (Sam Smith for BTD days). Some American beers come close (e.g., Goose Island Honkers Ale, which seems to have disappeared). I also like Sam Adams Boston Lager, which DRC726 mentioned. During the summer, pilsners and similar beers really hit the spot; in the winter, Guinness.

I used to buy Sam Smith Oatmeal Stout. Awesome. I don't think my distributer has it anymore. Also used to buy Brooklyn Black Chocolate Stout. Haven't seen it in ages. And who brewed Rhino Chaser stout? Google has no mention of it. Memory holed, lol?

The last couple of years I was working the industrial business parks near my work started sprouting up tasting rooms for local microbreweries. My last day of work party was held at the Green Flash brewery/tasting room - directly across from my former employer. I love IPAs. Have for 30 years. Arrogant Bastard gets extra points for the hilarious text on the label. The Karl Strauss restaurant/tasting room in Mira Mesa was commonly referred to as "Building K" by the local engineering companies in the area - I think Qualcomm engineers started that moniker and it spread to other companies... You'd see emails suggesting a late afternoon meeting at Building K.

OK, then look for an English Mild, not easy to find in the stores, a few local brewers are making them - best if served fresh on tap ( a pull tap ideally a 'beer engine'- very low carbonation). They should be very low alc, no more than ~ 3.5%, but they are brewed to still have flavor. Hmmm, maybe time for me to brew one of those?

-ERD50

Tried a Bells Two Hearted IPA, they call it a American IPA. Guess it's been around for good number of years, just got around to trying it. A decent brew, prefer more of a Hazy but very drinkable, 7%ABV.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom