Iron is the New Cholesterol

Sorry, that's not true. The Red Cross acknowledges the low iron problem for frequent donors. See this red cross article - http://www.redcrossblood.org/donate...nation/iron-informationforfrequentdonors.html. They define a frequent platelet donor as 15 or more donations (for men).

I was up to 18 platelet donations in a year, when I got a letter from the Red Cross telling me they had tested my last donation and my iron was very low. They recommended iron supplements and getting periodic tests at my primary doctor. I have a $40 copay every time I see my primary, so that ain't happening.

So the Red Cross is aware of the problem, but the hemoglobin test is not a good proxy for low iron levels. The letter I got after the fact pretty much confirms that.

Interesting, because plateletpheresis should remove only platelets from the blood, not red blood cells, and hemoglobin shouldn't be affected unless red blood cells are removed. Even then new red blood cells mature in just a few weeks, so I don't know why it would matter. I did plateletpheresis every two weeks for over a year and didn't notice any adverse side effects, but that's only anecdotal.

Sorry, that's not true. The Red Cross acknowledges the low iron problem for frequent donors, including platelet donors. See this red cross article - http://www.redcrossblood.org/donate...nation/iron-informationforfrequentdonors.html. They define a frequent platelet donor as 15 or more donations (for men).

I was up to 18 platelet donations in a year, when I got a letter from the Red Cross telling me they had tested my last donation and my iron was very low. They recommended iron supplements and getting periodic tests at my primary doctor. I have a $40 copay every time I see my primary, so that ain't happening.

So the Red Cross is aware of the problem, but the hemoglobin test is not a good proxy for low iron levels. The letter I got after the fact pretty much confirms that.
Well, I can confirm that! Having my ferritin in the weeds before the hemoglobin showed signs of an issue proved it for me.

Anyway, point taken. Platelet donations can affect iron too. I don't pay a lot of attention to the bags that get extracted out of me, but besides the nice bag of caramel colored platelets, there a decent volume left in all the piping that gets tossed and burned. That's probably where the loss occurs, along with the tubes they take for all the testing. (Seem to be more every year.) Here's a pointer to a study which basically says 100ml of whole blood is lost on each apheresis.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19903323

Plateletpheresis donors will lose up to 100 mL of blood at each donation, leading to concern that they may become iron deficient, particularly if donating at the maximum allowed frequency under National Blood Service policy of every 2 weeks. The serum ferritin levels of 508 regular plateletpheresis donors and 101 non-donors were measured to indicate the level of their iron stores. About 33.9% (156/460) of platelet donors had depleted iron stores compared with 3.1% (3/97) non-donors. Results for male and post-menopausal female donors were similar with 36.2% (131/362) of males and 37.7% (20/53) of post-menopausal females showing iron depletion. There was clear correlation with donation frequency in males with 63.9% (46/72) of males donating at 2 weekly intervals found to be iron depleted. The percentage of iron depleted male subjects decreased as donation intervals increased.

Last edited:
Interesting, because plateletpheresis should remove only platelets from the blood, not red blood cells, and hemoglobin shouldn't be affected unless red blood cells are removed. Even then new red blood cells mature in just a few weeks, so I don't know why it would matter. I did plateletpheresis every two weeks for over a year and didn't notice any adverse side effects, but that's only anecdotal.
I'm pretty sure it is the piping and centrifuge where some of the loss occurs. All that blood doesn't get pushed back to you. And of course, they take a few vials of blood for testing. This adds up in frequent donations.

As for rebuilding red blood cells: that's not the issue. It is the iron stores. Your red cell production needs the iron stores. I'm not physiologist, but what I read is the iron stores in your body are regulated by a complex set of enzymes that are only now (as in last 2 decades) being understood. You build iron stores slowly. When you lose red cells by bleeding (versus normal cell death), your body has to tap into the stores for the new cells. It is easy to deplete the iron during this process if you have regular bleed events.

Last edited:
Well, I can confirm that! Having my ferritin in the weeds before the hemoglobin showed signs of an issue proved it for me.

Anyway, point taken. Platelet donations can affect iron too. I don't pay a lot of attention to the bags that get extracted out of me, but besides the nice bag of caramel colored platelets, there a decent volume left in all the piping that gets tossed and burned. That's probably where the loss occurs, along with the tubes they take for all the testing. (Seem to be more every year.) Here's a pointer to a study which basically says 100ml of whole blood is lost on each apheresis.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19903323

Thanks for the link! The more I read and think about this issue, the more I feel 26 platelet donations a year is too much (what Red Cross allows).

Even they admit going over about 15 a year can lead to iron deficiencies. I'm thinking about once a month would be best for me.

Realistically, taking iron supplements doesn't sound ideal either (how would I know whether I need it or not). And going back to the original post, too much iron might be problematic.

Thanks for the link! The more I read and think about this issue, the more I feel 26 platelet donations a year is too much (what Red Cross allows).

Even they admit going over about 15 a year can lead to iron deficiencies. I'm thinking about once a month would be best for me.

Realistically, taking iron supplements doesn't sound ideal either (how would I know whether I need it or not). And going back to the original post, too much iron might be problematic.
Totally agree with all your points. Since my ferritin is in the weeds right now, I have to take supplements. But I want to avoid that in the future once my stores are replenished. I'm going to back off to about 8 platelet donations per year.

Sorry we are off track about LOW iron since this topic is about high iron, but if you can indulge me one more discussion for those of us who do donate a lot. I can tell you this issue of iron deficiency can sneak up on you since the normal blood tests don't check it. This is the first time my doc did a ferritin test only because I showed low hemoglobin. It is not something done in a standard way.

So that last link... This study is written mostly in lay person's terms and goes into deep depth on iron stores and blood donation. It is the best paper I've read on the issue so far, and the information is fairly recent. In short: frequent donators really need to watch their iron. This should not be a surprise since we know phlebotomy can treat high iron! There is also concern about young donators. Finally, maybe frequent donators should back off the frequency a bit. And my take: DONATE and SAVE A LIFE. If you are concerned about high iron, donate once or twice a year if you can. You won't have to worry about going low at a once per year donation.

https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/full/10.1111/bjh.15136

Iron deficiency (ID) is endemic in blood donors, affecting 25–35% of all red blood cell (RBC) donors with higher prevalence associated with female sex, younger age (in females), increasing blood donation frequency and shorter interval since last donation. High prevalence rates are seen in blood donors worldwide, despite rational attempts in some jurisdictions to lessen the risk by setting higher pre‐donation haemoglobin (Hb) cut‐offs, reducing the frequency of donation or restricting the annual limit on the number of times blood donation is permitted.
Of note, iron loss occurs with apheresis platelet or plasma donation, albeit at a rate one‐quarter to one‐fifth that of whole blood donation. As such, apheresis donors merit consideration for all the previous interventions, at a schedule appropriate to iron losses equivalent to the ~250 mg in a whole blood donation.

Last edited:
Thanks for posting that article. I was recently diagnosed with hereditary hemochromatosis, but do not have active disease; my iron saturation and ferritin are normal. I found all the potential connections interesting, especially given the HH and some of the potentially associated diseases across my family tree.

Frequent and long time Red Cross platelet donor here.

It may be different around the country, but my local donation center checks my iron levels before every donation and will defer me if it's low.

They also keep track of cumulative red blood cell loss and platelet loss (and maybe some others) over time and will not let you donate if you exceed their standards even if you otherwise meet the criteria.

On RBC loss, if you have a normal donation, they assume either a 50ml or 100ml loss from what remains in the tubing and in the vials for testing. If you have a "non-return" situation where they are unable to flush the RBCs in the machine back to you, then they assume a larger loss.

In addition to the RBCs you don't get back, my understanding from my Dad (retired physician) is that the centrifuge process tends to damage RBCs, so your body recycles them and has to make new RBCs. I don't know what that does to iron levels in the blood, but it does explain why I am sometimes tired after my donations.

If you're running low on iron due to platelet or blood donations, there are dietary changes you can make and/or supplement with iron pills. It works, but iron pills can be tough on the stomach and GI tract IIRC.

It may be different around the country, but my local donation center checks my iron levels before every donation and will defer me if it's low.
Around here, they just check hemoglobin, which is not iron.

You may be part of a pilot. Some centers are going further. The last link I referenced talks about the need for donation centers to test iron stores, even if it is post donation, and especially for long time donors. Apparently, some centers are doing just that: checking ferritin and other RBC characteristics post donation, and sending a 6 month letter of deferral with instructions if low.

A pre-donation iron store test is difficult and time consuming according to what I read. How do they do it for you?
If you're running low on iron due to platelet or blood donations, there are dietary changes you can make and/or supplement with iron pills. It works, but iron pills can be tough on the stomach and GI tract IIRC.
I'm taking 45mg and doing OK. I have minor side effects which are easily ignored. Above this number people experience a lot more unpleasantness. Of course, we all are different.

Besides the supplement and diet, you also need to watch for calcium interference, which slows iron absorption.

Last edited:
Around here, they just check hemoglobin, which is not iron.

You may be part of a pilot. Some centers are going further. The last link I referenced talks about the need for donation centers to test iron stores, even if it is post donation, and especially for long time donors. Apparently, some centers are doing just that: checking ferritin and other RBC characteristics post donation, and sending a 6 month letter of deferral with instructions if low.

A pre-donation iron store test is difficult and time consuming according to what I read. How do they do it for you?

I'm taking 45mg and doing OK. I have minor side effects which are easily ignored. Above this number people experience a lot more unpleasantness. Of course, we all are different.

Besides the supplement and diet, you also need to watch for calcium interference, which slows iron absorption.

It's a fingerprick and a 10 second test in a little electronic device. It does test hemoglobin. I was led to believe that measurement is somehow related to iron levels, but I also know that when my doctor checks my iron levels he checks something else (hematocrit)?

I take 28mg (mcg?) without side effects. But I haven't donated in a while for other reasons, so I don't know how my levels are. I tend to run low and have never run high, so for me being too high is not a concern currently.

It's a fingerprick and a 10 second test in a little electronic device. It does test hemoglobin. I was led to believe that measurement is somehow related to iron levels, but I also know that when my doctor checks my iron levels he checks something else (hematocrit)?
Related to iron, whether high or low, I'll re-emphasize what was mentioned above by another poster:
The standard doctor tests (SMAC, Executive) and blood bank tests (hemoglobin or hemocrit) DO NOT test stored iron levels.
In order to understand whether you have high or low iron, you must get an extra test to check iron. These tests are "serum iron" and "serum ferritin". The ferritin test looks at your stored iron, which is what is available to be used to manufacture red blood cells and other tissues.

Think of stored iron as "potential". Your body will manufacture hemoglobin fine if your ferritin is 30 or 300. Enzymes and hormones will keep the hemoglobin steady. It just needs the potential "pile of iron" to manufacture. A large pile won't necessarily cause high hemoglobin. Likewise, a pile that is very low, but still there, won't necessarily cause low hemoglobin.

That's why high iron (the real subject of this thread) is dangerous. If really high, your organs take a hit storing that extra iron. But it doesn't show up unless you get the test.

On the low side, hemoglobin doesn't start showing stress until ferritin gets below the accepted standards. This is well explained in that last paper I referenced.

Last edited:
@JoeWras, I think I understand what you're pointing out.

In my case, I've had low hemoglobin recently (this summer), and my diet is not very iron rich. I've been supplementing with 28mg/mcg of iron glycinate (?) since this fall. My doctor's lab did an "iron" blood test this fall (before I started supplementing), and all it says is my level was 40 and the reference range is 37 to 160. Not sure which of those things you're referring to that this number represents.

Anyway, with all of that, plus no symptoms that indicate high iron, I'm going to conclude that I'm normal to low.

What symptoms does high iron present? What dangers does high iron pose? Never mind, I should just read up on these things. Will start with the paper referenced.

Further:

The paper you referenced is talking about blood donations. I don't donate blood; I only donate platelets. As long as the return is processed (which it is in 98% of my platelet donations), the loss of blood is 50-100ml, which is 10% to 20% (or a bit less) of the RBC loss in a whole blood donation.

In my case, I've had low hemoglobin recently (this summer), and my diet is not very iron rich. I've been supplementing with 28mg/mcg of iron glycinate (?) since this fall. My doctor's lab did an "iron" blood test this fall (before I started supplementing), and all it says is my level was 40 and the reference range is 37 to 160. Not sure which of those things you're referring to that this number represents.

Anyway, with all of that, plus no symptoms that indicate high iron, I'm going to conclude that I'm normal to low.

What symptoms does high iron present? What dangers does high iron pose? Never mind, I should just read up on these things. Will start with the paper referenced.
Sounds like you got a serum iron test, based on the reference. It would be good if your ferritin were also tested, but it sounds like your doctor is looking out for you so you should be fine. You might mention ferritin next time if you are worried about low iron.

High iron is the real topic here and is best explained in some of the first posts. The problem is high-ish iron has zero symptoms. It isn't until it is crazy high that people see it, and the doc then suspects and orders a test.
Further:

The paper you referenced is talking about blood donations. I don't donate blood; I only donate platelets. As long as the return is processed (which it is in 98% of my platelet donations), the loss of blood is 50-100ml, which is 10% to 20% (or a bit less) of the RBC loss in a whole blood donation.
Yeah, someone straightened me out about that too. I was thinking platelets were loss-free. Giving platelets with long rest times between should be just fine. The problem is when you are giving 20 times per year like I was. Those 100ml add up. I'm personally backing off to 6 times per year. BTW, the paper does mention this apherisis issue near the end for just a sentence or two. It was too long a read.

^ Thanks. I'm not worried about low iron as I plan to supplement at the 28mg level and see where it ends up at my next physical. I also don't have any symptoms of low iron.

I was donating platelets every week or two and hit the trailing 12-month limit right as I had to stop again due to antibiotic treatments for some other items. I hope/plan to start again in January after my next doctor visit. We have one of the top donation centers in the US for platelets. You get a special reward when you hit 400 donations; if things go the way I expect I'll be the 24th person to hit that donation level. So we have lots of regular and longtime donors.

Worth knowing: Men who take a multi-vit daily should be taking one that has zero iron. Women need the iron for obvious reasons. It has been long known that artificial iron intake (artificial as in not from food) has been a contributor to various coronary problems. Maybe the Trump fast food diet is the way to go.

Worth knowing: Men who take a multi-vit daily should be taking one that has zero iron. Women need the iron for obvious reasons. It has been long known that artificial iron intake (artificial as in not from food) has been a contributor to various coronary problems. Maybe the Trump fast food diet is the way to go.
Yes. Very important.

When I was low on iron, I was surprised how hard it is to find a multi with iron now. They exist, but most don't have them. Even the ones with iron have a very low amount. Still best to avoid for men.

I'm surprised some cereals are still fortified with it.

Women generally shouldn’t take vitamins with iron either once their monthly cycles stop.

Women generally shouldn’t take vitamins with iron either once their monthly cycles stop.
Right. The "women's over 50" vitamins I saw had no iron. Yes, I looked at a lot of labels until I decided to just go for it with a pure iron pill for therapy.

I'm surprised some cereals are still fortified with it.

Iron-enrichment/fortification of cereals, oatmeal, flour, pasta, rice, etc. is per U.S. FDA policy. https://www.fda.gov/media/94563/download

It's challenging to find any of these products (or their by-products) without any added iron.

It's my understanding that in the early 1940s an iron-enrichment policy was put into place in the U.S. with the intent to provide dietary iron to pregnant women (= 1% of the population). In the 1970s, this policy was amended to increase the amount of dietary supplemented iron by ~50%.

After decades of the entire U.S. population consuming "added" iron, perhaps wide-spread studies of the effects might be warranted. It does make you wonder if it's doing more harm than good.

From article linked in post #1:
"If so many studies seem to show a consistent association between iron levels and chronic disease, why isn’t more work being done to clarify the risk? “It’s incredible that there is so much promising literature, and nobody—nobody—is doing the clinical trials,” Dartmouth’s Zacharski said to me. “If people would just take up the gauntlet and do well-designed, insightful studies of the iron hypothesis, we would have a much firmer understanding of this. Just imagine if it turns out to be verified!”
His perspective on why more trials haven’t been done is fascinating, and paralleled much of what other experts in the field said. “Sexiness,” believe it or not, came up in multiple conversations—molecular biology and targeted pharmaceuticals are hot (and lucrative), and iron is definitively not. “Maybe it’s not sexy enough, too passé, too old school,” said one researcher I spoke to. Zacharski echoed this in our conversation, and pointed out that many modern trials are funded by the pharmaceutical industry, which is keen to develop the next billion-dollar drug. Government agencies like the NIH can step in to fill gaps left by the for-profit research industry, but publically funded scientists are subject to the same sexiness bias as everyone else. As one senior university scientist told me, “NIH goes for fashion.”"
FWIW, I've read that in some countries (Denmark, for example), it's illegal to sell U.S.-made [= iron-enriched] bread.

omni

Last edited:
A bit coincidental for me as I just decided to start taking iron for the 8-9 months before my next yearly physical. My aerobic capacity seems to be down and I am always on the very low end of the hemoglobin blood test. I was also just recently very low on vit D and Magnesium which is only verified by me taking it and feeling much much better (1st both immediatly then just vit D but had to go back to both). At any rate, here's the other part of my story:

Years ago when I was giving blood I was finally rejected for having low hemoglobin. It was going down slowly over time. They couldn't find any source at the time. About 10 years later I found out I was a celiac (gluten intolerant) which was the most likely cause of the low hemoglobin; IMHO due to lack of absorbtion and lower than standard consumption. I was told I could no longer give blood because I was a celiac and haven't since (nor checked if I could nowadays).

Just gave platelets. My hemoglobin shot up after 6 weeks of iron therapy. Cost about $8 to fix the problem. No wonder nobody is researching it, no money in it.

No wonder nobody is researching it, no money in it.

Or, perhaps there's more money (prescription drugs, doctor's visits, insurance, hospital visits, long-term care, etc.) to be made from any mischief it may have caused? :confused:

omni

Last edited:
Or, perhaps there's more money (prescription drugs, doctor's visits, insurance, hospital visits, long-term care, etc.) to be made from any mischief it may have caused? :confused:

omni
You really have to wonder.

This whole iron overload thing is not new. This news has been bubbling up for a few years now.

Enrichment has an interesting history. Perhaps the enrichment guidelines need to be revisited.

BTW, we make our own bread with whole wheat, and we don't typically eat processed cereal. You can also get white flour without enrichment. It is not a requirement, just an FDA suggestion with guidelines.

Or maybe some companies can start advertising certain products are enrichment free -- for those who desire such. Reminds me of sunscreen. At first, they said "Now with PABA!". A few years later: "Now PABA free!"

In order to understand whether you have high or low iron, you must get an extra test to check iron. These tests are "serum iron" and "serum ferritin". The ferritin test looks at your stored iron, which is what is available to be used to manufacture red blood cells and other tissues.

Think of stored iron as "potential". Your body will manufacture hemoglobin fine if your ferritin is 30 or 300. Enzymes and hormones will keep the hemoglobin steady. It just needs the potential "pile of iron" to manufacture. A large pile won't necessarily cause high hemoglobin. Likewise, a pile that is very low, but still there, won't necessarily cause low hemoglobin.

That's why high iron (the real subject of this thread) is dangerous. If really high, your organs take a hit storing that extra iron. But it doesn't show up unless you get the test.

Yep, exactly right. Iron is indeed extremely dangerous if you have too much. I have posted here before (a few times) about my experience with high iron a few years ago, and it was not fun. Had I not figured out (on my own) that high iron was my problem, it could have killed me. In my opinion, all males over about age 50 should at least have the serum ferritin test done when they have their annual blood testing done. If your ferritin is above about 200 (or even 150), you have too much iron in your system. When I finally had mine tested (at my insistence........my doctor at the time said there was no need to test it), it was over 500. I was having all sorts of troubling symptoms over the previous year or so......irregular heartbeat, weight loss, hair loss, and more. Even when mine tested 500+, my doctor said it was no big deal, and could not be causing my symptoms. I thought it could be, so I started donating blood to reduce my iron, to see if that would help. It helped immensely. After a few blood donations, the symptoms started to fade away, and after a few more, they were gone completely. Now I have my ferritin checked regularly, and it's at about 60-70, which is where it needs to be, based upon all the research I have done.

Males have no good way of getting rid of excess iron (women lose a lot during the years they are menstruating), so in males it tends to slowly accumulate over time. And you do not have to have hereditary hemochromatosis to have an issue with iron.......I do not have hemochromatosis, but my iron still got way too high over time. Iron overload is the general term for excessive iron, and my belief is that a lot of older males have it, without knowing it.

Excess iron damages virtually every organ system in the body. It is entirely possible that excess iron is responsible for a lot of deaths due to heart disease that are attributed to other causes (like cholesterol).

After my experience, I am a believer that a lot of folks should have their serum ferritin tested, to see where they stand. If it's too high, you can easily lower it over time through donating blood. Now I donate blood twice yearly, which is enough to keep my ferritin at a safe level.

By the way, regular blood donors live an average of 4-5 years longer than those who never donate blood. It is entirely possible that this could be due to the reduction in iron that comes with donating blood.

There has been a lot written in recent years about the dangers of high iron, but in my experience, many doctors still don't know about it, and won't test for it (serum ferritin) unless the patient asks for it to be tested. And it's a cheap test (about $50, I think), so there is really no reason to not have it checked.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom