Is a dilute bleach solution a satisfactory hand cleaner for COVID?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just checking back in to this thread after a couple of days. I can't believe you guys are still going round and round about this. Hahahaha!

Just checking back in to this thread after a couple of days. I can't believe you guys are still going round and round about this. Hahahaha!

I thought you had this thread on "Ignore".

Due to the discussion, I am now more alert about checking my homemade sanitizer often, due to its losing potency when left inside the car.

It's all worth it to me. And I have learned a few more medical facts. It's all good.

When you keep your mind open, you learn a lot of serendipitous things.

Last edited:
I share Ready's skepticism here. I don't think it is close-mindedness at all.

The CDC guidelines for bleach are for surfaces.
They have no recommendation for bleach on hands, and those are listed in the same link - soap/water or alcohol based for hand washing.

-ERD50
+1

In fact, everything I read about bleach requires that you leave it on SURFACES (like kitchen counters) for 2-5 minutes, then wipe in a single direction.

Glad if you think it works for you but I"ll stick with alcohol when soap and water are not available. And no matter what we use, hopefully it helps us remember not to touch our face or hair.

In fact, everything I read about bleach requires that you leave it on SURFACES (like kitchen counters) for 2-5 minutes, then wipe in a single direction.

Glad if you think it works for you but I"ll stick with alcohol when soap and water are not available. And no matter what we use, hopefully it helps us remember not to touch our face or hair.
Round and round. This is a fun thread. Dig through all the references above and you will find at least one reputable source that describes a dilute bleach solution for use as a hand sanitizer (as well as surfaces). No, I'm not digging through to find the cite and re-post it. :)

Round and round. This is a fun thread. Dig through all the references above and you will find at least one reputable source that describes a dilute bleach solution for use as a hand sanitizer (as well as surfaces). No, I'm not digging through to find the cite and re-post it. :)

Yes, bzribee quoted a post of mine from before anyone found a reference from the CDC about using bleach for hands (though it still seems to be for when soap/water or alc is not available).

What the heck, since this thread got visited again, I still do not understand why anyone would want to deal with bleach and diluting it and replenishing it to keep it fresh and risking staining clothes/car. A bar of soap, bottle of water, and a towel in the car is cheap, easy, and no "shelf life" concerns.

To each his own, and whatever, but I just don't get the attraction for bleach.

-ERD50

I just made my own hand sanitizer after searching for days online. 3:4 rubbing alcohol; 1/4 aloe Vera.

Are you certain that is an approved recipe? Everything I've read says you want at least 60% alc, and I think that refers to the end product dilution. If you are diluting it to 3/4 strength with the aloe vera, do you need to start with at least 93% alc?

https://www.cnet.com/how-to/why-you-shouldnt-make-your-own-hand-sanitizer/

The WHO's official instructions call for denatured alcohol or isopropyl alcohol, glycerol (also known as glycerin), hydrogen peroxide and sterile water. You must measure the concentration of alcohol in the final product using an alcoholometer to ensure it is effective at killing germs and safe to use.

Homemade hand sanitizer recipes

Most of the countless recipes out there use a mix of 91% or 99% isopropyl alcohol (also known as rubbing alcohol) and aloe vera gel, which is necessary to add moisture to your skin because alcohol will dry it out. In these recipes, the typical ratio is two thirds rubbing alcohol to one third of a cup of aloe vera gel.

-ERD50

Yes, bzribee quoted a post of mine from before anyone found a reference from the CDC about using bleach for hands (though it still seems to be for when soap/water or alc is not available).

What the heck, since this thread got visited again, I still do not understand why anyone would want to deal with bleach and diluting it and replenishing it to keep it fresh and risking staining clothes/car. A bar of soap, bottle of water, and a towel in the car is cheap, easy, and no "shelf life" concerns.

To each his own, and whatever, but I just don't get the attraction for bleach.

-ERD50
how about this: it’s obvious that CDC is going to recommend masking. I found a few N95s from when I sanded floors a while back. If I start wearing them for shopping I will need to reuse. CDC discourages reuse but an article Dr Google pulled up mentions bleach if you have to reuse masks. Spraying them with dilute bleach followed by immersion in water seems less destructive than trying to scrub them with soap and water.

how about this: it’s obvious that CDC is going to recommend masking. I found a few N95s from when I sanded floors a while back. If I start wearing them for shopping I will need to reuse. CDC discourages reuse but an article Dr Google pulled up mentions bleach if you have to reuse masks. Spraying them with dilute bleach followed by immersion in water seems less destructive than trying to scrub them with soap and water.

We are talking hands, not masks. I've read that some solution break down the electrostatic qualities of the mask, and reduce effectiveness (though anything is better than nothing).

I found a study that showed a simple dry heat treatment would keep the masks effective for reuse. This was a reference from another source, but I lost that link.

Can disposable masks be reused after sterilization?

The new coronavirus is sensitive to heat. It can effectively inactivate the new coronavirus by heating for 30 minutes at 56 degrees Celsius.

Therefore, the single dry heat sterilization (70 degrees Celsius heating for 30 minutes) can effectively inactivate the virus without affecting the protective function of the mask. However, it is uncertain whether several times of disinfection affects the protective effect of the mask.

-ERD50

Thanks for the heat suggestion. I can toss em in a 160 oven with the rotisserie chicken.

Just use soap and water. I don’t understand this obsession with so called sanitizers. They are not any better than plain soap and water.

Just use soap and water. I don’t understand this obsession with so called sanitizers. They are not any better than plain soap and water.

I don’t think anyone here is obsessed with it. We just recognize there are certain situations where we don’t have access to soap and water, like after leaving the grocery store. So using hand sanitizer before you get in your car is a good practice. Of course you will still wash your hands with soap and water after you get home as well.

Pro-tip, make your own hand sanitizer by:

Buy:
1. 90-97% pure aloe vera gel (you can get this from walmart.com)
2. 93-99% Rubbing alcohol (not 70%!)
3. Essential oil such as lavender

Mix 3/4 cups rubbing alcohol with 1/4 cup aloe vera gel and 10 drops of the essential oil. For about $30-40 you can make more sanitizer than you'll ever want or need. Key point, you need about 60-70% rubbing alcohol to kill the COVID-19 virus in your sanitizer.

Source: https://www.healthline.com/health/how-to-make-hand-sanitizer

I made something similar to this with 91% alcohol (10oz) and aloe (3oz) with no essential oil, but it's very watery. Has anybody tried making it?

I made something similar to this with 91% alcohol (10oz) and aloe (3oz) with no essential oil, but it's very watery. Has anybody tried making it?

Yes, I had the same problem. It’s not much thicker than just alcohol so it doesn’t stay on your hands for very long.

And now it’s impossible to find rubbing alcohol or aloe Vera gel anywhere in stock.

Yes, I had the same problem. It’s not much thicker than just alcohol so it doesn’t stay on your hands for very long.

And now it’s impossible to find rubbing alcohol or aloe Vera gel anywhere in stock.

I bought a few bottles of 91% alcohol before anybody else and one big aloe vera gel bottle too, but it's just watery. It does seem to stay slimy on my hands for a while, but I am not sure if this is good enough...

I watched an excellent video chat by a Cornell Medical ICU doc. He argues that experience has shown that the vast majority of transmission is hand to face. Washing is key but he also recommends carrying hand sanitizer and using a few drops (that’s all it takes) anytime you touch surfaces when you are out of your house.

I bought a few bottles of 91% alcohol before anybody else and one big aloe vera gel bottle too, but it's just watery. It does seem to stay slimy on my hands for a while, but I am not sure if this is good enough...

It’s probably better than nothing, and really you should only be using it when soap and water are not readily available. With the stay at home order in place the only time I use it is after grocery shopping on the way home. But I wash my hands as soon as I get home too.

I don’t think anyone here is obsessed with it. We just recognize there are certain situations where we don’t have access to soap and water, like after leaving the grocery store. So using hand sanitizer before you get in your car is a good practice. Of course you will still wash your hands with soap and water after you get home as well.

Is this strategy to try to avoid bringing the virus into your car on your hands?

Is this strategy to try to avoid bringing the virus into your car on your hands?

Yes. You don’t want to have the live virus on your hands and then touch all kinds of surfaces inside your vehicle. And you don’t want to accidentally touch your face while driving home with your groceries.

Yes. You don’t want to have the live virus on your hands and then touch all kinds of surfaces inside your vehicle. And you don’t want to accidentally touch your face while driving home with your groceries.
This is why the ICU doc in the video I mentioned above carries Purell. He says disciplined hand hygiene is the most important rule. If you’re a bit fanatic about it, the inside of your house (and your car) can be safe zones where you are free to relax.

PET owners: IDK if this is an option for any of you but ask your veterinarian if he/she can order you alcohol. It does not appear to be in short supply on the animal side and it is the same product.

The above recipe is supposed to be watery enough to be used in a spray bottle and not used as a pour out gel sanitizer, the aloe is only to stop skin from cracking not to create a gel.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom