is it a good idea to install indoor cam to monitor senior parents?

x2 on the Echo Show. Google "Echo and dementia" to find plenty of videos of people showing how they set it up, and how to use it.

It's far from perfect, but it's a good start. Hopefully Amazon continues to develop and expand their free caregiver hub as well.

Last edited:
You may not have a choice in some states. Rather like some states have mandatory school attendance or parents get arrested and kids tossed into family services... I have heard rumors of elder abuse accusations that only a camera system can protect. Elderly hauled off against their will or caretaker children charged with insufficient care. Long arm of the state is reaching this direction. Watch out for the shoulds.

There are passive monitoring systems that don’t include cameras, but can incorporate cameras. These systems use motion sensors, electrical sensors (on appliances like microwave ovens, etc. to know when it is activated) to build an artificial intelligence database of “normal” activities, and makes notifications if there’s a lack of normal or an abnormal activity. Here’s a link to Tech-enhanced Life website page that discusses monitoring systems. Tech-enhanced life is good reading and interactions for anyone retired or anyone who cares about an elderly person.

It may be wise in terms of trying to protect his health but an unwise invasion of his privacy. Unless he's 100% on board with being watched all the time, I'd try to get him to (1) have a life alert thing (2) carry his cell phone at all times with 911 and my # on speed dial and (3) allow his phone to be tracked onllne by at least one of the kids. My Dad has agreed to the later two.
Hi Whisperer, what tracking app do you use ? i have an iphone6 and so does dad.
Thanks, Linda

I volunteer to deliver Meals on Wheels and I think that could be helpful in some situations. Some of the folks I deliver to really seem to look forward to someone coming to their door once a day even though I'm only there for a moment. If they don't come to the door then we are instructed to call them on the phone. Many are hard of hearing and don't hear the doorbell or a knock. If they don't answer their phone, then we are to call the coordinator at the local senior center. We typically stand by while she contacts their emergency contact who is usually a son or daughter. Many times a failure to connect with the person is because they are away and forgot to phone it in to the coordinator. But at least there is an in-person contact once a day and the son or daughter would get a call if there is no response.

I have I believe 7 or 8 Nest Cams at my Dad's house. They were installed when my Mom lived there and had dementia. (She has since passed on after moving into a nursing home.)

My parents trusted my brother and I to monitor the cams only briefly to check on them. We placed them everywhere but bathrooms.

They have been a godsend. My father is perfectly content with them, and my brother and I can check on him periodically to ensure he is okay. It also serves as a protective measure, since caregivers know the cams are there, as do potential burglars, etc. (There's a Nest Cam yard sign and some stickers.)

I got the idea to use the cams from some sage folks on his forum. I have no regrets. We are all glad they are there. AND the cams clearly and without question enabled us to keep my mom at home much longer than would have otherwise been possible. She passed on in a nursing home as stated above, but had probably an extra year, maybe 16 months, at home, because the cams enabled her sons to ensure she and my dad were safe. And as a side benefit, the ~$1200 investment in the cams has saved my parents a lot of money in caregiving and nursing home fees, since my mom's departure to the home was delayed, and since we are more comfortable leaving my dad on his own longer, given the existence of the cams to check on him.

Last edited:
We considered for my grandmother but her personal care home RN (who had been there decades) recommended against. She said ppl tended to fall and continue to fall when they got their new lift chair. Keep her in a reg recliner. So we did.
You can help your dad with his chair issue with a chair that rises and tilts to assists exit.https://www.wayfair.com/furniture/s...8_7046_136922~Lift+Chairs.Type.Seat+Assists.B
Not recommending any of these but to illustrate. We bought used for father and mother inlaw

Back
Top Bottom