Is paypal more secure than using a credit card?

How about "Click to Pay"

I think this is a related question but does anyone use "Click to Pay"?

Seems like it may address some of the security and convenience issues for online purchases.

I have to say I’ve been able to deal with PayPal quite efficiently when I thought there was an issue. I have a very long track record with them. I never had a bank account linked as an extra precaution and always kept it with credit cards only.

There is an item I love that is out of production according to the mfr. but I google the item occasionally hoping to find NOS (new old stock). Voilà! Some obscure vendor (not am individual) with an eclectic array of goods for sale has the exact item. The offer was 2 for less than I expected to pay for one! I googled the address on the website and it was a very modest residence in suburban LA. Yes, lots of Red Flags! I ordered anyway ONLY because I really, really wanted this to be true AND Paypal was offered. I knew immediately after ordering it really was TGTBT because the order confirmation and shipping info didn’t ‘feel’ right. Vender ignored my followup emails so i reached out to Paypal. They refunded the payment almost immediately.

PayPal is good.

I’ve used PayPal 5 years. They guarantee you purchases. I had a bad product and I never got another and PayPal got refunds to my account.
You still need credit cards to add to your PayPal account for payment but using PayPal is easy. Get a new email because I get a lot of fishing saying my account is locked, over drawn, etc. that isn’t true.

My credit card gets hacked too much and have to get a new ones. I wondered what is the most secure way to pay online. Do you think paypal is more secure than a credit card? If so, do you prefer linking it to a bank account, credit card, or keeping a balance in it? Also, if your PP was hacked, what was your experience with the customer service for dealing with it?

My customer experience with PayPal is second hand, but terrible. Once on your account, you basically cannot remove them. I had several friends who bought reloading components for ammuntion (against the pay pal rules) and their bank accounts were frozen. They never were able to use the money in the account at the time and had to start new accounts. Any money in that account at the time of freezing, was lost. I wont allow someone to have their agenda driven politics take over complete control of my finances.

I try to avoid using my primary cards for new or one-off purchases online. This is to reduce the risk of potential fraud.

Though the risk is covered by card policy - there is potentially a hassle factor, etc. (getting new cards, etc)

In those cases we would use PayPal or virtual numbers.

I am confused (not that that is unusual), but how can paypal be more secure if you are using a credit card anyway? Isn't it one more opportunity for something to happen? I always use a virtual card for an on-line vendor that is unknown to me. And then rarely do that anyway. It is not worth it to save a few bucks, and if the savings are 50% or 75%, I would not touch it with a 10 foot pole anyway.

…. Any money in that account at the time of freezing, was lost…..

PayPal’s published terms of service, particularly their acceptable use policy and associated penalties for engaging in “restricted activities” are rather concerning IMHO. They are very onerous terms with very little recourse for you if PP unilaterally deems you have done something “unacceptable”.

I am confused (not that that is unusual), but how can paypal be more secure if you are using a credit card anyway? Isn't it one more opportunity for something to happen? I always use a virtual card for an on-line vendor that is unknown to me. And then rarely do that anyway. It is not worth it to save a few bucks, and if the savings are 50% or 75%, I would not touch it with a 10 foot pole anyway.
Because the vendor does not see the credit card info. Virtual credit card is another option as is ApplePay.

Last edited:
Yes but PayPal doesn’t offer cash back like CC does.

Not true. All my payments via PayPal use credit cards and I get the same cash rewards as if I used them directly. PayPal is simply an intermediary that hides your credit card info from the online vendor. PayPal does not require you to pay by bank withdrawal.

Not true. All my payments via PayPal use credit cards and I get the same cash rewards as if I used them directly. PayPal is simply an intermediary that hides your credit card info from the online vendor. PayPal does not require you to pay by bank withdrawal.

2% CB?

Bank of A, They have an internal online only credit card number. If you are nervous you can preselect approximate amounts for a payment with a payee. It prevents someone from running the numbers off the card, or selling/theft of the card data.

I use it and it prevents disaster.

My credit card gets hacked too much

Your problem is either your bank or your personal security (passwords, or something). I have several credit cards and hacking is never something I consider as it never happens.

I do use Paypal vs. entering my CC on a new/small site, but if you're having a lot of hacking issues, figure that out first, it's not your card, unless it's from a very small bank.

Your problem is either your bank or your personal security (passwords, or something). I have several credit cards and hacking is never something I consider as it never happens.

I do use Paypal vs. entering my CC on a new/small site, but if you're having a lot of hacking issues, figure that out first, it's not your card, unless it's from a very small bank.
You can do your very best but your credit cards can still get hacked. DH had one replaced recently that he had activated but never used. Inside job somewhere perhaps, but very poor one. The financial institution said that the attempt to use had nothing more than the card number, no other info, so it was denied already but they were blocking the card and would replace anyway.

Last edited:
To clarify - with PayPal - vendor does not have carf number. There’s nothing for them to hack and steal, or if that vendor is hacked - your card number is not available to those hackers

A virtual card is better. We originally were using PayPal with a virtual card - but PayPal did away with that years ago.

This is about protecting your card and access from
hacking. This is not about the actual purchase.

If there is an issue with the purchase, I have not had issues with disputing through PayPal. But - YMMV.

I would say -
1 - Virtual cards are best
2 - PayPal (or other 3rd parties that can pay for transaction and not share card with vendor
3 - limited access and/or limited funding in card (but have more than 1 in case of hacking, issue, etc)

We never use a card with high $ available to a new online vendor. (Or even known vendors, or in person) - at most - we will do #3 with known vendor (like Amazon). We have several cards for different purposes to reduce risk.

How can you tell if you are buying from an affiliate?

Sorry for delay in response.

When oyu check out it is the items that aren't "fulfilled" by Amazon.

The items ship seperately as they aren't in the amazon warehouse.

Wally

Sorry for delay in response.

When oyu check out it is the items that aren't "fulfilled" by Amazon.

The items ship seperately as they aren't in the amazon warehouse.

Wally
Do you think your credit card info is exposed to the affiliate? I don’t see why it would be as purchases are made through the Amazon marketplace. All my listed credit card charges come from Amazon itself, not from any affiliated vendor.

Last edited:
You can do your very best but your credit cards can still get hacked.

Oh of course, and that's another reason I don't worry about it. Random, rare. But the OP says he keeps the OP says he "gets hacked too much", so I'm assuming more than once.

I mean sure once is too much, but it sounds like a few events over time here.

I got rid of PayPal a long time ago. Just deleted wife's account, as she was phished, directly through the account.

Any purchase can be made through one-time use of your credit card, where you have better protection.

Oh of course, and that's another reason I don't worry about it. Random, rare. But the OP says he keeps the OP says he "gets hacked too much", so I'm assuming more than once.

I mean sure once is too much, but it sounds like a few events over time here.
I don’t worry about credit card fraud much anymore because it’s so easy to recover from since I put a few practices in place. But there were several years where it seemed like I had to deal with a fraudulent charge twice a year and initially it was a pain. It’s much more rare now as well as being much easier to deal with.

The credit cards where each of us has a different number is the most convenient.

My credit card gets hacked too much and have to get a new ones. I wondered what is the most secure way to pay online. Do you think paypal is more secure than a credit card? If so, do you prefer linking it to a bank account, credit card, or keeping a balance in it? Also, if your PP was hacked, what was your experience with the customer service for dealing with it?

Apple Pay is very secure. And it’s tied to a credit card. When you use Apple Pay, it generates its own single use number for that transaction. So even if they find a way to hack back the number they get doesn’t work ever again anywhere.

If you wish to use PayPal or Venmo, your best bet is to find a free checking account that you can transfer funds into. And keep about a small amount in it. That way if you spend 30 bucks on something they can take the 30 and if they’re crooks they can take the rest of it but they can’t get to the real account.

And if you listen to Clark Howard never ever ever use Zelle. There are apparently no protections for the users of Zelle.

I stick with Apple Pay.

Somewhat related - I bought some bus tickets online for a foreign country - the bus was cancelled so I asked for a refund, they never sent me a refund or asked me how I wanted to get my refund.
I opened up a case with PP and after a short period of time they sent me a refund

Back
Top Bottom