Just got 1st implant - now what?

Carpediem

Full time employment: Posting here.
Just received my first implant today and was wondering what others may have done to help with the healing process. Did you eat any specific foods or take any supplements? I’d appreciate any and all advice.

Just received my first implant today and was wondering what others may have done to help with the healing process. Did you eat any specific foods or take any supplements? I’d appreciate any and all advice.

Well, I just ate soft foods for a day or two after my dental implants. Since I am utterly crazy about ice cream, I ate a whole pint of ice cream the first day and then had things like soup and so on. The ice cream really helped. I don't know if it was the fact that it was cold, or if it was the fact that I love ice cream and felt pampered, that helped.

Basically, I recommend ICE CREAM if you can get it, and not Rocky Road - - just plain vanilla or something without hard chunks in it.

I didn't take any supplements but my oral surgeon had me on an antibiotic and I had instructions to use a special prescription mouthwash. And there was another pill, [-]maybe an anti-inflammatory? I don't recall[/-]. I remember now, it was Vicodin for pain. I only took one and only because he made me promise to take one before the Novacaine wore off. After that I really didn't feel it was necessary because I wasn't in much pain at all.

Basically you will feel MUCH better in 24-48 hours and able to proceed with normal life then.

Last edited:
Well, I just ate soft foods for a day or two after my dental implants. Since I am utterly crazy about ice cream, I ate a whole pint of ice cream the first day and then had things like soup and so on. The ice cream really helped. I don't know if it was the fact that it was cold, or if it was the fact that I love ice cream and felt pampered, that helped.

I didn't take any supplements but my oral surgeon had me on an antibiotic and I had instructions to use a special prescription mouthwash. And there was another pill, maybe an anti-inflammatory? I don't recall.

Basically you will feel MUCH better in 24-48 hours and able to proceed with normal life then.

This was pretty much my drill also - doc said keep taking all the Rex till they are done even if u feel fine - I was fine after a day

So far I’ve taken 2 Tylenol and 2 Ibuprofen and I feel fine and all numbness is gone. The dentist gave me a prescription for a pain med but I don’t think I will fill it. He also gave me the special mouthwash and said to use it twice a day. I want to make sure I do everything possible to make sure there are no setbacks.

This was pretty much my drill also - doc said keep taking all the Rex till they are done even if u feel fine - I was fine after a day

+1 Yeah, I felt fine the next day too IIRC. I am quite overweight and by the day after surgery, I didn't feel justified in continuing my ice cream binge. :(

If I hadn't felt fine the next day, then I'm sure I would have by the day after that.

So far I’ve taken 2 Tylenol and 2 Ibuprofen and I feel fine and all numbness is gone. The dentist gave me a prescription for a pain med but I don’t think I will fill it. He also gave me the special mouthwash and said to use it twice a day. I want to make sure I do everything possible to make sure there are no setbacks.

Just do what he tells you, and be careful about what you eat today. Soft/liquid foods are easier because they won't gouge you in your surgical area.

I've had two dental implants. The only thing I did was avoid chewing on the implant side. Both healed nicely.

They made me keep my eye bandaged and put drops in. Good luck.

I've never needed anything stronger than one dose of OTC pain reliever, either (have had implants twice). I probably did avoid chewing on the side with the implant fo ra day or two and that was it.

The second time, I asked the oral surgeon about using my bite guard (a plastic molded piece meant to keep me from grinding my teeth in my sleep). He just about jumped out of his chair and told me NOT to use it- he'd had one patient who went right back to using it and somehow it irritated the implant site and caused big problems. When I finally did go back to using it, I was so cautious I lopped off the back end that went over the implant site- it still kept my teeth separated but left the implant site exposed.

The worst pain with an implant is in the pocketbook. My Frankenstein charged $895 to remove the old tooth and put a graft in the hole. Then he wanted $2250 for the implant itself. 4 months later he wants $500 for the abutment before a crown @ $850.

I had the implant done in another state for $900. Only took 5-7 minutes and never had the first pain of any kind. A simple implant is about as easy as a filling.

My experience was exactly like W2R's. The prescription was needed about an hour after surgery, and since it was late afternoon, I took another for bedtime. I think I woke a few times that night because I toss and turn normally, and it was a bit sore.

Mostly just had soup for dinner that night.

But the next day I was back to just an Aleve, and soft food. I think there was still a little bleeding the next morning but nothing after that. You'll barely feel anything by Thursday. (except yes you'll keep poking at it with your tongue).

I just waited for the 2nd one. I had needed two implants and a partial - which had costed well over 8k about 7 years ago. I'm sure glad that I did this, though.

Anyway, like an earlier poster said - the extraction was the worst part.

I

My implant site got a little infected and I needed antibiotics to clear it up. Quite uncomfortable for a few days. Everything good in the end though.

My implant site got a little infected and I needed antibiotics to clear it up. Quite uncomfortable for a few days. Everything good in the end though.

That's my fear. In fact, the reason for my implant is that my tooth had a fractured root and that allowed bacteria to enter and become infected. My dentist prescribed amoxicillin last week and it runs out tomorrow. He said there was a slight risk in doing the implant at the same time as the extraction due to the infection but he said he had done it before without any issues. I am on my way for a follow up now and will ask him if I should continue taking some antibiotics just to be safe.

That's my fear. In fact, the reason for my implant is that my tooth had a fractured root and that allowed bacteria to enter and become infected. My dentist prescribed amoxicillin last week and it runs out tomorrow. He said there was a slight risk in doing the implant at the same time as the extraction due to the infection but he said he had done it before without any issues. I am on my way for a follow up now and will ask him if I should continue taking some antibiotics just to be safe.

Learn something everyday. Didn't realize some do it the same day. I had to wait 3 months for healing before implant was done. From start to finish took a total of 9 months before crown was set in place.

The worst pain with an implant is in the pocketbook. My Frankenstein charged $895 to remove the old tooth and put a graft in the hole. Then he wanted $2250 for the implant itself. 4 months later he wants $500 for the abutment before a crown @ $850.

I had the implant done in another state for $900. Only took 5-7 minutes and never had the first pain of any kind. A simple implant is about as easy as a filling.

Where did you get a full implant process for $900??

Just returned from my follow-up visit. Dentist adjusted my upper partial and snipped off some sutures that had come loose. He said the area still had some puffiness but looked good overall. I asked him about continuing with some antibiotics and he prescribed some Augmentin. He wants me to come back in a week to remove the stitches. (And I bought some ice cream at CVS after dropping off the prescription!)

Great! And also I am glad you got some ice cream. After going through an implant, you deserve it and besides, it may help reduce the swelling due to how cold it is.

Back
Top Bottom