Let's Compare Internet Speeds

haha

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
I posted earlier that this site seems slow, so I thought I would check my internet speed.

I pay $50/mo with no contract required, and I get internet and local TV.

I went to Speakeasy.org and did their speed test at 20:00 this evening. My download spead is 15.56 Mbps, and upload is 2.14.

This is quite a bit faster than what I got for the same price from Comcast. My neighborhood has Wave Broadband, and I've got brand new fiberoptic cable in the street right in front of my building.

Seems good to me; how does it compare with what others get?

Ha

I pay $53/mo for internet (AT&T U-verse). Download speed is 17.38 Mbps, upload 1.48 Mbps (Speakeasy). The building only supports AT&T as an internet provider and we picked the fastest internet plan available.

Last edited:
Verizon FiOS, which is fiber to the premises, 15/5 plan, about $55/month

Per SpeakEasy: 15.5 down, 4.41 up

Not getting the full 5 Mbps up due to some traffic shaping (configured on the router) that enhances the the Ooma VOIP performance. But 4.41 is plenty for my needs.

If I click on the Speed Test Plus link in the upper right hand corner to test broadband quality I get:
Down: 15.44 Mbps
Up: 4.33 Mbps
Packet Loss: 0%
Latency: 13 ms
Jitter: 1 ms

Last edited:
17.29 download and 3.20 upload from speakeasy site. I have Comcast.

I tried it (speakeasy.org), got 7.5 down and .5 up.

Tried speedtest.net and got 15 down, .5 up.

Looked at my service. It is 10 down and .5 up.

Clearwire service

3.5 MPS download
1 MPS upload

$45 a month with no contract.

Last edited:
EarthLink (formerly Mindspring, last century...)

$37.95 a month for 1.2 megabits/sec down, 320 kbits/sec up, no contract. That's the fastest DSL that they offer here. Yes, I called...

I'm currently shopping. The cable company, Comcast, is out as they don't permit VPN connections, and have actively blocked them in this region unless one buys business Internet service, and they do aggressive traffic shaping (that is, they really don't care to let AppleTV or Netflix streams move at full speed across their peerage points for more than a few minutes at a time). U-verse from AT&T might be a possibility.

Download 21.37 Mbps
Upload 2.09 Mbps

Cablevision

Earthlink cable (through Comcast), $49/mo no contract:

25Mb down, 3.8 up according to Speakeasy. No outages in over a year.

We used to have Earthlink DSL through Verizon for $10 less but it was very unreliable.

Download: 23.3 Mbps
Upload: 5.7 Mbps

Comcast (Blast) $66/mo

Download: 2.84 Mbps
Upload: 0.24 Mbps

Advertised by provider as up to 3 Mbps/512k.

Fairpoint DSL $50/month but is $5 higher that if I had a landline (I am internet only and use Ooma for voice).

While I wish I had the speeds that many of you have it functions fine for what I do (video very infrequently).

I'm gettin' screwed!

Download:5.5
upload:.95

Pay $62/mo with Roadrunner thru Time Warner. My computer says I should be getting 11Mbps? I think it's time to make a phone call.

I'm suffering from ISP speed envy.

Download: 1.9
Upload: 0.35

I pay $37/mo for a no contract OTA two-way radio service and those are the advertised speeds. One of the joys of country living...

Verizon DSL, $30 per month, 1 year agreement

15.34 down
0.83 up

Verizon central office only 3 blocks away

Verizon Fios....had to use Washington DC location but am on the east coast
of Virginia...

19.33 Down; 24.13 Up

I just upgraded to Fios from Cox and have only had it for a week...

Switching saved me almost $60 a month and gave me MUCH faster speeds...
although I have NO idea why I might need them ;o)

In addition, my selection of movie channels is maybe 5 times more...

Me likey!

17.16 download, 4.12 upload. Comcast cable, just under $50 with taxes and fees.

I've noticed this site does seem to be slower the past few weeks. It's probably not the end users ISP links (DSL, cable, wireless, etc) but it "could be" a problem with the host server or host site.

For me, I have a 3 Meg download and .6 Meg upload DSL, which I feel very lucky to have out here in the country 15 miles away from any small town.

Another slowpoke here: 4.31 down, 0.65 up.

Cincinnati Bell DSL is my only option, and I'm paying $25 a month for it, as part of a bundle of home landline services.

~1.0 Mbps.

we have a basic cable-company bundle package that includes local TV channels plus a few oddball channels. It also includes VOIP phone service. The total runs around $60-65 depending on telephone calls outside of the local zone. The internet part is maybe $10-15 a month after the discounts and depending on how one mentally distributes the kickback discount.

It would be $75 a month but I called and asked what promotions they had going and got the rate reduced. If you don't ask you won't get it.

Looking at what everyone is paying for internet connectivity, I am surprised at how much everyone is willing to pay.

Last edited:
Well, if I had reported an hour ago it would have looked like 5+ down and 3+ up on comcast using linksys e4200 router (wireless LAN) and an xp/ie8 system.

Thanks to dslreports tweek test and software, I now report 15-21/3++. I'm in Bellingham WA and Seattle gives 15+ but Los Angeles gives 21+.

My current speed is 25M down and 4.4M up. I'm with Comcast and i'm paying Internet only 25$ per month. I'm on a special rate as I called in and asked them what was the best they could do as I was thinking of switching carriers - they offered me this deal for 6 months then it will eventually jump to about $60 bucks unless I re-negotiate over the next year. I've seen other teaser deals that they have for 19.99/month for 6 months then creeps up toward the higher rates. I'm waiting for fiber to the curb to give them some good competition.

Comcast, approximately $50/month. Ping 15mS, Download 16.2Mbps, Upload 1.6Mbps. I have been told that I can get slightly better upload speed if I replaced our 10 year old cable modem with a newer model, but I'm currently satisfied with what we have now.

Verizon FIOS seems to be superior to most. But the marvelous communist city of Seattle has carved up areas and given them to certain companies. Verizon not welcome here, although it exists just outside our city limits, and they would love to compete in our market.

Ha

Verizon Fios

Just upgraded to a new 2 year contract bundle with TV and Phone. Internet only cost is $40

48 Mbps download on Desktop (ethernet)
26 Mbps wireless on laptop
23 Mbps upload on desktop (ethernet)
16 Mbps wireless on laptop

I've had Fios for two years and I'm extremely pleased.

Back
Top Bottom