MacOS Monterey

steelyman

Moderator Emeritus
I got prompted to update my iMac from Big Sur to Monterey yesterday. Normally I do so but at present I’m hesitant, not because I don’t trust Apple OS upgrades but that I don’t know the status of the Parallels VM which I use daily.

So for now I’ll stay status quo and watch for others’ experiences and comments. I think there’s a good number of Mac heads around here.

I'm still on Catalina. Everything I have works on Catalina. A few of my apps are no longer supported by their sellers. I'm skeptical that they will run on a newer OS, so I'm staying with Catalina - for now.

I never upgrade to a new OS until at least the "dot one" version. Apple's OS versions are normally good, but anything that big will have a least a few bugs that are easily squashed once they are reported.

I did not, yet. I did go to 11.6.1 though. I am also waiting for the .1 release.

If you have the latest Parallels installed you should be ok. I think I saw something about that on macrumors. Do a search there.

I just updated to Monterey 12.0.1, but then I have always updated all my Win then Apple devices at the first opportunity. And I have never had a significant issue, the few minor issues that have come up in my 40+ years were corrected with another update very quickly. YMMV

I did not, yet. I did go to 11.6.1 though. I am also waiting for the .1 release.

If you have the latest Parallels installed you should be ok. I think I saw something about that on macrumors. Do a search there.

Thanks! I just checked and am running Parallels 16 (updated). Parallels latest is 17 and advertised as Monterey-ready. I had trouble upgrading to Windows 11 though with my Parallels 16.

My latest gadget time suck is to set up a new laser printer that arrived this week (Brother, based on many recommendations here). I’ll deal with that and then other upgrades.

[ADDED] I run MacOS as the host OS for Parallels.

Last edited:
I will wait a month or so--that is what I do for all the new Mac Operating Systems. They always have a few updates in the first couple of weeks and I just wait until they get all of those ironed out.

I never upgrade to a new OS until at least the "dot one" version. Apple's OS versions are normally good, but anything that big will have a least a few bugs that are easily squashed once they are reported.

Back in my IT days our update rule was to be be at least 6 months or one release behind the most recent update. Let others live on the bleeding edge of technology.

Security updates were the one exception. And, only if we deemed the security risk to be higher than the risk of a new update 'changing' something we depended on.

With my iMac, I always update as soon as they offer. I don't run any extra security programs and count on them to keep me safe (or safer). In six years I've never had an issue with any updates, unlike Microsoft platforms which were always a crapshoot.

I am still on Catalina, but usually like to wait before updating to newly released OS.

Being mobile in our RV I turned off autoupdates a long time ago. But then I forget about that and keep thinking I have the latest version.

I have 11.3 :LOL:

About to trade in so I think I'll just leave it at that...

So far, so good with Monterey. I really don’t see much difference, really. Well, there are new features but either they don’t interest me or they don’t work on my 2017 iMac. I was looking forward to Universal Control but that’s been put off until “later this Fall.”

FWIW, I upgraded to 12.0.1 Monterey and it was seamless and trouble-free.

I haven't noticed any problems, either.

The feature I want to see is Universal Control, but that's not available yet...

My laptop won't even accept Monterey, but if it did, I would still wait until I get an M1 Mac to upgrade the OS. It seems optimized for their new chips and I'm sure it's way more complicated than a normal OS upgrade. I'm looking forward to it, but I can happily stay with my current model for a while longer.

I normally wait a spell, but I had other reasons to want to upgrade. It went smoothly and, so far, no problems (~1-year-old Macbook Pro).

Like others have said, I wait some time between introduction of a new OS and joining in. I remember DOS and its updates; and I learned then to give the new OS time to settle.
As far as Apple based OS updates-you only need to return to IOS 12 for phones, Apple was putting out fires daily for a while. Apple does respond promptly but I rather live without the headaches

I upgraded my iMac to Monterey this afternoon. January 3, 2023. That’s some serious slacking.

Monterey is the end of the line for my iMac (2015).

I upgraded my iMac to Monterey this afternoon. January 3, 2023. That’s some serious slacking.

Monterey is the end of the line for my iMac (2015).

You'll be fine. I was very happy with Monterey, and haven't seen anything in Ventura I would call a valuable improvement.

Back
Top Bottom