MagicJack vs. Ooma vs. Vonage vs. ???

What does VOIP provide that regular cell service does not? I can take calls on my iMac if my phone is elsewhere.

My guy tells me that 911 service would be more dependable w/ VOIP than cell; ie. how hard is it to determine the location a cell caller if they can't say where they are?

But I'm not an expert on the subject.

What does VOIP provide that regular cell service does not? I can take calls on my iMac if my phone is elsewhere.
Six phones ring on 3 floors. And with the Sentry box, it's never a robo call or any spam call. Annoyingly, Ooma keeps nudging up the price (was $4, now halfway to $6), but still cheap, and with a big extended family all over the country, it's convenient for them to use the same number we've had for 25 years.

I have Obihai with Google voice.
I paid around $40 for the little gadget that plugs into my internet.

I pay nothing else, no monthly fee, and I get free long distance phone calls in USA and to Mexico and Canada.

I've had it for a few years and it works fine.

It was a bit complex to set up, I had to repeatedly read the instructions :blush:

Better sound quality...

For some reason my son does not know how to talk into a cell phone properly... when listening to him on my DWs Iphone I can barely understand what he is saying and have to ask him to repeat it a few times..

With our VOIP I at least understand half of what he says and only ask on important items...

The same problem with some who do talk better, but still can understand them much better on the VOIP...

I have Obihai with Google voice.
I paid around $40 for the little gadget that plugs into my internet.

I pay nothing else, no monthly fee, and I get free long distance phone calls in USA and to Mexico and Canada.

I've had it for a few years and it works fine.

It was a bit complex to set up, I had to repeatedly read the instructions :blush:

+1

We've been using Obi+GV since I retired in 2013. Never a problem and never a bill. Robocalls are extremely rare. Lots of great features like voicemail transcription sent as text. True... set-up is a DIY affair, but well-documented and only took me about 5-10 minutes, IIRC. International calling is dirt cheap. DW calls her relatives in England for $0.01 per minute... which is basically free.

For me it provides a phone on every level of my home. My Mac and iPad can also take calls, but there is no guarantee they are on the level I am on. If I fall and badly hurt myself I don't want to have to crawl up or down stairs to phone for help. It's worth less than $6 a month to me.

We use Smart Talk home phone. It costs us $15/month for unlimited to the US. It basically is a base that uses the cell phone towers and you just plug your phone into the base. No internet required. We had vonage but our internet was not strong enough for it to be consistent. It echoed all the time on us. Smart Talk was the clear winner for us.

Back
Top Bottom