Marcia, Marcia, Marcia

I was the fifth of five kids, and I do think my parents were more permissive with me than with my older siblings. It helped that I stayed out of trouble, but still...

It wasn't that they were "favoring" me per se, I don't think, but merely their parenting style changed over the years.

I was the fifth of five kids, and I do think my parents were more permissive with me than with my older siblings. It helped that I stayed out of trouble, but still...

It wasn't that they were "favoring" me per se, I don't think, but merely their parenting style changed over the years.

Agree with you. I was the oldest of 6 children. My folks set very high expectations for all of us, but mellowed a bit in their parenting style over the years. Did they set lower standards for my siblings? No. Did they favor one of us over the other? No. I think that as new parents they were a bit more strict with me, and probably held the line a little tighter than they did with subsequent siblings- maybe they were just worn down by the time my youngest siblings were ready to leave the nest.

Interesting, I was the second of 5.

By the time I was in my late teens, my DF was dead and my DM was too busy with the younger ones to care what I did as long as I didn't screw up. My older DS and I could live our lives as we wanted as long as we did well in school, stayed out of jail, no pregnancies etc. My younger siblings were the ones who had rules layed down.

I was the second of three. Older brother spent most of his (and my and sister's) life dieing of cancer.
I know parents didn't mean to neglect us, but crap happens.

I was clearly my mother's favorite. My younger sister has gotten over it. My younger brother still resents me for it. I never thought I took advantage of my privileged position, but I probably did.

Youngest of 5, born on my Mom's birthday by a mere 31 minutes.
I never felt favored (and of course my darling siblings would disagree :nonono:) because she was always w*rking and I got to see her only 1 day per week for any decent amount of time. Hmmmm...I wonder if that is why I'm so independent and self sufficient? :rolleyes:

I think that's what often happens with the last one. Is this called the "Janet Jackson syndrome?" Being super hard on the older kids and then the last one comes and they actually get to do their own thing to some degree. Good position to be in a big family I think.

Back
Top Bottom