Measuring Net Worth

Nor did I, but I had about $12 when I quit college the first time to go to work.

Hehe, yeah, I remember that time too. I was 23, had a job, a used car worth $2500 and $2500 in cash. Drove that car to Southern California (from Detroit) to begin my new life.

What a grand adventure I had!

I don't know what I would do with "net worth" as a single number.

Before I retired, I would calculate "How much could I spend annually, if I retired today". I liked to see that grow.

Now that I'm retired, I think more in terms of "How many years of nursing home care could our income and assets survive". It is currently going down, and that is a concern.

Health is no where in the formula for net worth but without it, net worth is just a number you cant use. A friend of mine worked until 70. His wife died last year. He recently was diagnosed with lung cancer at 71 yo a year after retiring. He's now on hospice care and not expected to live much longer. he told me before this diagnosis that his nw went up 600k since 1/1/19.

It's sad. If you are broke it's not fun, but above a certain level it does not matter as much to have more.

And I know that my happiness in the future will have more to do with my health than my money.

Right now, I still like to have more, but then it is like sport fishermen who catch then release, for the fun of catching and not for eating. I will release later, and to whom will be TBD. :)

If you can put a dollar amount to good health. I wonder how much that would add to your dollar net worth. Or vice versa.

How much would Steve Jobs pay to be cured of his pancreatic cancer? All that he got? He was worth 10.1 billion at his death at age of 56. If he had more, he would pay more.

Paul Allen was worth 20.3 billion at his death at the age of 65. Would he give it all up to stay alive?

Some lucky guys have it all. Buffett has 86 billion, and at the age of 89 still cracks jokes to make cute reporters giggle.

Last edited:
If you can put a dollar amount to good health. I wonder how much that would add to your dollar net worth. Or vice versa.

Priceless . . .

Never had a negative net worth either.

Counting the relatively small student debt I had for the first 2 years after finishing college, my NW was sometimes above and sometimes below zero the first few years post-college. Those first few years include my buying my first car (with cash).

Buying my apartment a few years later wouldn't affect my NW if I include my RE equity. But if I exclude that in my NW and look at only the outstanding mortgage, my NW would not have gone back to positive until about 5 years after I bought the apartment.

If I include my fairly small 401k balance at the time into mix, my NW (excluding home equity) would have gone positive for good about 3 years after buying the apartment.

Looking back I don't beleive I ever had a negative NW either. My NW early on was little to nothing but never spent more then what I had.

As some have said, I only track NW for our own satisfaction. It is of no real value. The monthly return on investments is the most important to us. We have been living off our Cash stash for 5 years + return on our investable CASH assets. We do not take SS or any foreign pensions that we are eligible for. Mainly to keep MAGI in check.

If we were to take SS etc., we would be well over the ACA threshold. So out of the extra $3500 a month we would incur a $1500 or more Health Insurance premium, that is simply not worth it. So we leave our IRAs where they are and use the cash. It is exactly what we planned.

Looking back I don't believe I ever had a negative NW either. My NW early on was little to nothing but never spent more then what I had.
I will add to my last post that when I did finally get a credit card, it was an American Express card, which required that I pay it off every month. It was at least another 10 years before I got a credit card on which I could have carried a balance (I never did).

Most of us agree that

NW = Assets minus Liabilities

There are different opinions about how much of one's personal residence to include (or not) in the assets. That's fine.

But, a number of replies state "Liabilities" without indicating whether it includes the income tax deferred on our tax-deferred investments (tIRAs, 401ks, etc). Those deferred taxes are my biggest liability and I include it in my Net Worth calculation. I suspect some of us do not.

So despite general agreement that NW = A - L, I believe there is less agreement about what is included in Liabilities, and therefore we remain confused.

I don't want clarification. Just noting I will continue to not worry about the calculations of others.

The only reason to add up net worth is if you have plans of liquidating everything you own......

Strongly disagree.

Knowing net worth as viewed by the feds and your state for estate planning purposes is very important.

I may have had a negative net worth for a brief period during the TX real estate bust in the 80s. Fortunately my cash flow was not affected.

Counting the relatively small student debt I had for the first 2 years after finishing college, my NW was sometimes above and sometimes below zero the first few years post-college.

My DW had approximately $10k in student loans when we married in 1970. That would have been equivalent to a full years starting salary for a 4-year grad with a very employable major. Probably similar to having $50k - $60k of student debt coming out of school today. So, we had a negative net worth for a few years.

We lived off my salary (easily done as I was making good money "workin' in da factory.") and used her salary to dig out. By the time we were in our mid-20's, we had equity in a home and money in the bank and were starting our family. Serious investing followed shortly thereafter.

DW's student debt was very worthwhile. She enjoyed a career as a full time public school teacher and part time adjunct faculty member at a local private college and her public pension is the cornerstone of our FIRE status. No regrets about starting out with a negative net worth. And clearly it worked out for you too!

Last edited:
This discussion brings a question to mind. Can anyone find your net worth? Every so often I'll see an actor or musician who seemed to disappear from the limelight. I look up their net worth to see if they're OK. How does the media guesstimate net worth?

Plus, the invitations we get to "free" dinners to discuss investments/financial health. How do they know anything about us? The dinners are at great restaurants in the area. They must know something to offer a free meal. BTW, the invitations go in the garbage.

There is a database with your zip code, home ownership, income range which is available for purchase.

How much would Steve Jobs pay to be cured of his pancreatic cancer? All that he got? He was worth 10.1 billion at his death at age of 56. If he had more, he would pay more.

Paul Allen was worth 20.3 billion at his death at the age of 65. Would he give it all up to stay alive?

Some lucky guys have it all. Buffett has 86 billion, and at the age of 89 still cracks jokes to make cute reporters giggle.
Well, even as rich as Buffet is, he's not invulnerable to health issues.

In 2012, he was diagnosed with prostate cancer.

And now, he suffers from old age and it's progressing at a similar rate to the rest of us....:LOL:

Last edited:
Buffett is still alive despite his prostate cancer, which is apparently under control. I still say he's fortunate. At the current age of 89, his longevity is already far beyond that of the average Joe. I am certain that only a small fraction of us here will live to that age. And if we do, it may not with the same mental and physical health he is exhibiting.

Having lived till 89, his fortune is just the icing on the cake. And to get back to the point that health is more important, I am sure Buffett will not be any less happy if he had only 1/1000th of the stash he has now.

Buffett is still alive despite his prostate cancer, which is apparently under control. I still say he's fortunate. At the current age of 89, his longevity is already far beyond that of the average Joe. I am certain that only a small fraction of us here will live to that age. And if we do, it may not with the same mental and physical health he is exhibiting.

Having lived till 89, his fortune is just the icing on the cake. And to get back to the point that health is more important, I am sure Buffett will not be any less happy if he had only 1/1000th of the stash he has now.
How strange it is that as we are posting to this thread about Buffett's age, health and wealth, they were just talking about him on Fox Business News in the past 15 mins and "speculating" that maybe he (or BH) will consider buying out Walgreens.

Last edited:
Who is BH?

Edit: just figured it out Berkshire Hathaway.

I went negative in net worth for a few years. I bought a condo in late 1994, at the age of 24, and started a slow burn after that. Then, I made the mistake of getting married in the summer of '95. She probably took me negative a few months after that. I'd say we bottomed out when we divorced in '96. I was close to $30K in credit card debt, and only had a few thousand $ saved up in mutual funds. So, I'd say I was about $27K negative, when we split. I did have some equity in the condo, but if I tried to sell it the commission/closing costs would take most of that. I also had several antique cars back then, but they wouldn't have been a quick sell, so I didn't count them as part of my net worth.

Oh, I almost forgot. I did have about $5,000 in savings bonds. I think I tend to forget those, because my Mom got them for me when I was a kid. So, even though they were "mine", they didn't really feel that way because I didn't "earn" them I guess. At one point, I did cash in a few hundred $, but kept the bulk of them intact. So, throw that in, and I guess I was "only" $22,000 in the hole.

Anyway, I took on a second job delivering pizzas, and soon after we split, I moved in with my grandmother and rented the condo out, to try and get that debt down quicker. In December of '97, even though I was still fairly deep in debt, I decided to start putting into my company's 401k plan. It wasn't much...initially I think just enough to get the company match, but it was a start. I do remember that by March of 1998, I was down to about $10,000 of credit card debt, and had it paid off in full by November of '98. So, I probably went to having a positive net worth sometime that summer.

Agree with assets - liabilities. Long ago recognized that it was but a small component of living well and being content.

Back
Top Bottom