Medicare Choices

Okay, my zip is 95570 (Trinidad, CA), but when I put in 95501 (McKinleyville), there are some to choose from.

Medigap Policy A, Medigap Policy B, etc. Are those standard policy types? That is, do all Policy Bs have the same benefits, etc??

Are independent agents a good idea, or should I view them as I do financial planners?

Thanks, guys.

Yes...all Supplemental Plans with the same letter designation (e.g. A or B or C or....) offer, by law, the exact same coverage...however the pricing can be vastly different. So decide on the coverage you want by comparing plans, then shop for pricing for that plan in your zip code.

Whoever (agent or company) sells you supplemental insurance gets a fixed commission. There's no way around this, nor is it affected by the plan you choose so don't even think about it.

Some agents/companies are good and look out for your best interests to find you highly-rated insurance companies offering plans at reasonable prices, whereas others are simply greedy and will try to sell you the highest-priced plan they can find so they can pocket the largest commission.

And this bears repeating.... ALL supplemental plans with the same alphabetic designation, by law, give you the exact same coverage.

omni

I have a couple of months before the window opens, but I'm leaning towards the AARP plans, probably F if they offer it. It looks like their contractor offers it, but I can't see the plans until the window opens.......
You should be able to see the costs for the various letter plans offered by UHC by going to:
https://www.aarpmedicaresupplement.com
Then on the upper right, click on "View Plan Rates"
Then scroll down, and enter your zipcode or state, can go two ways from there. Right to your area, or better yet, download the PDF for your state, where you will find it split up by zipcode blocks. By looking through the PDF for your state, you can see the costs for all the offered letter plans in your zipcode block all on one page. Use the appropriate condition page, for example: "Non-Tobacco Monthly Plan Rates for (state)" as you would be a new entrant into Medicare, and are guaranteed admission.

They were recently updated, the rates up on the website now are for plan effective dates July 2018 - June 2019.

You should be able to see the costs for the various letter plans offered by UHC by going to:
Then on the upper right, click on "View Plan Rates"
Then scroll down, and enter your zipcode or state, can go two ways from there. Right to your area, or better yet, download the PDF for your state, where you will find it split up by zipcode blocks. By looking through the PDF for your state, you can see the costs for all the offered letter plans in your zipcode block all on one page. Use the appropriate condition page, for example: "Non-Tobacco Monthly Plan Rates for (state)" as you would be a new entrant into Medicare, and are guaranteed admission.

They were recently updated, the rates up on the website now are for plan effective dates July 2018 - June 2019.

I saw that site. The prices through OneExchange/ViaBenefits may be different or they may not offer the AARP plans at all. I'm going to attend one of their seminars over the summer, so I will ask the hard questions then and hope I get correct answers.

I don't know how these people are compensated. Do they receive a commission on the policy they sell you? Are they paid by the employer to provide information and unbiased advice? I half expect to have to put up sales resistance to whatever they want to sell me.

Last edited:
Okay, my zip is 95570 (Trinidad, CA)...
...we never use insurance to cut costs (only to eliminate catastrophic expenses)...

<snip>

For the other carriers, you can go directly to the CA DOI website below but the rates are not as current.

Guide to Medicare Supplement

Then, choose the 'Medicare Supplement Rates' link. On the comparison tool, choose age 65 (not under 65). Most policies will be listed under the Individual option but UHC/AARP plans are Group.

For example, the United American HD-F is $315/yr. CA has a Birthday Rule allowing you to switch to another HD-F each year without underwriting if their rates go up or you don't like the company. In states without this provision, the person should also check the rates for 80 year olds. Some companies offer policies that are competitive at 65 but not as you get older.

Last edited:
Al, are you saying you don't see ANY Medigap providers when you put in your 95570 zip because I see dozens when I use your zip in Medicare.gov.

Yes, that's exactly right (but see below):

OlIdwSD.jpg

However, based on your post, I tried it in a private browser window. When I did that, I saw what you saw.

I guess the government screws up in mysterious ways.

OlIdwSD.jpg

However, based on your post, I tried it in a private browser window. When I did that, I saw what you saw.

Looks like the Medigap polices for under 65 is highlighted - is that what is selected?

Last edited:
What I have learned from this discussion is that the Medicare.gov site is untrustworthy. Apparently, unless you find the correct search page through some specific sequences, you get different results. It's easy to make a mistake and end up with incorrect results as well. Kinda scary...

OlIdwSD.jpg

If you have an ad-blocker or other browser plug-in that modifies content try disabling it; or if you have changed your browser settings for javascript or cookies, try resetting those options to the defaults.

Last week we sat with our Fidelity person . We were told , please don't quote me on this but she did give me the full brochures and went over them from her standpoint .
1 medicare
2 part B
2 part F
She said F covers everything , or the 20% that part b does not . She recommends this and has her mother and father on it . She said the government messed up with F and it will Sunset in a few years , but there will be something comparible.

Even with their low income my older relative chose traditional Medicare with Part B, Plan G (cheaper than Plan F + deductible here), plus a drug plan for maximum flexibility.

A cheaper Medicare Advantage plan would have locked them into restricted provider networks with no guarantee they could switch back.

What I have learned from this discussion is that the Medicare.gov site is untrustworthy.

I think you may be overstating the potential problem. I've been using the Medicare.gov website for several years and haven't run into any problems like Al has experienced.

IMO the biggest problem is the govt's choice of language/terms associated with Medicare. Until you spend some time learning the jargon it can be confusing to decipher the world of Medicare-Medicap-Advantage-Part A-Part B-Plan A etc.

I saw that site. The prices through OneExchange/ViaBenefits may be different or they may not offer the AARP plans at all. I'm going to attend one of their seminars over the summer, so I will ask the hard questions then and hope I get correct answers.

I don't know how these people are compensated. Do they receive a commission on the policy they sell you? Are they paid by the employer to provide information and unbiased advice? I half expect to have to put up sales resistance to whatever they want to sell me.

One Exchange (OE) is paid by the employer. From my experience, they offered a limited choice of plans ALL of which were all more expensive that the one I found through working with the Senior Solutions online site, and weren't all that unbiased.

OE also is very aggressive in calling repeatedly to "help" you with your Medicare decision. :mad:

Besides OE 'services', my former employer also has a healthcare reimbursement account for over-65 retirees. If you purchase your Medigap and/or Plan D through OE...OE will handle the reimbursement account for you. Otherwise, you need to collect your healthcare receipts and send them in to yet another service provider. I opted to go the non-OE route.

omni

Besides OE 'services', my former employer also has a healthcare reimbursement account for over-65 retirees. If you purchase your Medigap and/or Plan D through OE...OE will handle the reimbursement account for you. Otherwise, you need to collect your healthcare receipts and send them in to yet another service provider. I opted to go the non-OE route.

Through DH's former employer I will get a HRA account of a little over $2k when I turn 65. I can use that to apply to my Medicap or Part D plan. The catch is that I must use the OE exchange to buy the plan to get the HRA reimbursement. If I buy non-OE I get nothing. If not for the HRA I would probably get an AARP Medigap supplement. I guess I can get a part D plan through OE but it is unlikely to have high enough premiums to cost over $2k since I take no regular medications at all and would normally just buy a really inexpensive prescription plan. If I use it for my Medigap plan then I will have to get something other than AARP which I guess is what I will likely end up doing...

Al, can you make sure you haven’t selected the Medigap plans available to those under 65?

Looks like the Medigap polices for under 65 is highlighted - is that what is selected?

No, I checked that. The blue text shows that you can select that.

But choosing the zip that's 25 miles away fixed things.

I assume I can take a month to decide on this stuff, yet (birthday in September)?

No, I checked that. The blue text shows that you can select that.

But choosing the zip that's 25 miles away fixed things.

So Medicare.gov still isn't showing you any Medigap policies in your zip?

I assume I can take a month to decide on this stuff, yet (birthday in September)?

Yes, there is no reason you can't take a month or so to make your choices.

Last week we sat with our Fidelity person . We were told , please don't quote me on this but she did give me the full brochures and went over them from her standpoint .
1 medicare
2 part B
2 part F
She said F covers everything , or the 20% that part b does not . She recommends this and has her mother and father on it . She said the government messed up with F and it will Sunset in a few years , but there will be something comparible.

Breedlove, did she not say anything about a Part D for prescriptions? At least get a cheap one to start with, or you'll forever be paying a penalty when you decide you need this.

OlIdwSD.jpg

Could be the browser. Clear your cache and try again, or try with a different browser.

Anyone else with FEHB (federal govt retiree) and Medicare? I took Part A only, and not Part B. I feel comfortable with this decision.

Al, I don't have any productive answers, but I have two comments:

1. Happy early birthday! You've finally hit Medicare age and you'll be free of the confusing patchwork of expensive health insurance policies which cause so much angst and frustration among early retirees.

Oh, wait.

2. Someone should write a book, am I right?

I think you may be overstating the potential problem. I've been using the Medicare.gov website for several years and haven't run into any problems like Al has experienced.

IMO the biggest problem is the govt's choice of language/terms associated with Medicare. Until you spend some time learning the jargon it can be confusing to decipher the world of Medicare-Medicap-Advantage-Part A-Part B-Plan A etc.

I have no trouble with the jargon and understand it fairly well for someone that is just starting the process, in large part because I read what is posted here. It's the website that allows searches to take you to the wrong page. I finally bookmarked the plans for my zip code because I was misdirected to wrong pages consistently, especially when I searched using Google.

I'm attending the One Exchange/Via Benefits Seminar next week and fully expect to be sold products I don't want plus get some major misinformation about what's available. I have pretty much made up my mind to choose AARP's Plan F. It served my folks well, and I have had few problems with the UHC plan I have now. The only question I have is possibly is there a nicer Cadillac plan, and how are these folks going to pay my reimbursement - directly to Medicare and the insurer or to me?

One Exchange (OE) is paid by the employer. From my experience, they offered a limited choice of plans ALL of which were all more expensive that the one I found through working with the Senior Solutions online site, and weren't all that unbiased.

OE also is very aggressive in calling repeatedly to "help" you with your Medicare decision. :mad:

omni

About what I expected. The original brochure I saw last Fall said that I was free to pick a Medigap plan but the reimbursement was direct if I went through them and I would have to send the receipts to them if I purchased the plan myself. If they offer the AARP Plan F and it's only a couple of dollars more, I will consider the additional cost a convenience fee for not sending in receipts. That's going to be important as I get older and less capable of managing these things.

If they start calling to "help" me pick something, the number will just get blocked, same as any other annoying sales person. They can put whatever they have to say in writing and send it US Mail.

About what I expected. The original brochure I saw last Fall said that I was free to pick a Medigap plan but the reimbursement was direct if I went through them and I would have to send the receipts to them if I purchased the plan myself. If they offer the AARP Plan F and it's only a couple of dollars more, I will consider the additional cost a convenience fee for not sending in receipts. That's going to be important as I get older and less capable of managing these things.

I'm confused - are referring to sending in receipts for some sort of healthcare reimbursement account provided by your employer similar to what omni550 described? Or are you under the impression you have to send in receipts to your Medigap insurer for reimbursement?

I'm confused - are referring to sending in receipts for some sort of healthcare reimbursement account provided by your employer similar to what omni550 described? Or are you under the impression you have to send in receipts to your Medigap insurer for reimbursement?

Sorry. I'm in a similar situation to omni550. The pension plan reimburses around $270 a month for Part B and Medigap plus other medical expenses IIRC. That looks to be all of Part B and most or all of the Medigap policy.

I think I found the problem with the search. I keep getting sent to a page called Medicare Plan Finder, not Medigap Policy Search.

Back
Top Bottom