Medicare Part D changes for 2023

I've changed Part D insurance companies several times. Usually between WellCare and Aetna. Both use CVS Caremark mail order which we utilize for all but one Rx.
Because of the summer sun/heat in Arizona, I've never been a fan of having my meds bake in the mailbox. With my Aetna plan, I have my regular meds filled 3 months at a time by the local Fry's Food (Kroger) pharmacy. They let me know automatically when the prescriptions are ready and I pick them up when shopping there for groceries. As far as I can tell, the cost is the same as it would be with mail order since the Fry's is a preferred provider.

I am in the process of getting tests for my copd. I am to return to the new pulmonary Dr. next week for another test. She has had me on a "dry powder" inhaler for 2 weeks. I couldn't really tell any differance. If I end up having this one it is over $ 400 per prescription and that just won't work for me. some of my other medicines are in the $2 to $4. buck range but I am afraid I'm going to be stuck paying out the wazoo next year!

Interesting. DH's Aetna SilverScript plan is increasing to $8.40 and the name is changing from SmartRx to SmartSaver. Central Florida. :(

Same for both my DH and myself. My DH is on Farxiga which usually puts him into the Medicare "donut hole" gap in about July-August every year. It looks like perhaps some WellCare products may be a bit better, so I'm exploring that.

I went through the Part D changes last night in our current plans, and the monthly charges are up $20 and individual prescriptions are up about $4.

I've yet to go through the formulary list of prescriptions my wife takes. Most are generic and very cheap--except for a pain medication and one heart pill that's $550 a month.

My mom is currently on Wellcare's 'Classic' plan :
$28.80/2022 to $32.60/2023 per month.

Going to take a closer look at Wellcare's 'Value Script' plan
$12.90/2022 to $11.20/2023 month.

She is taking mostly Tier1 and Tier2 meds, (8 in total).
Thinking the Value Script plan may be a better choice ??

Anyone here switched from the Classic plan to the Value Script Plan ?
Planning to call Wellcare next week to get more info.

Last edited:
My mom is currently on Wellcare's 'Classic' plan :
$28.80/2022 to $32.60/2023 per month.

Going to take a closer look at Wellcare's 'Value Script' plan
$12.90/2022 to $11.20/2023 month.

She is taking mostly Tier1 and Tier2 meds, (8 in total).
Thinking the Value Script plan may be a better choice ??

Anyone here switched from the Classic plan to the Value Script Plan ?
Planning to call Wellcare next week to get more info.

You really should go to Medicares website and enter your mom's prescriptions, and it will list out the cost of drug plans from lowest to highest with the total cost per year for drugs and premiums. I wouldn't try to call any drug company for advice because they will only push one of their own plans.

You really should go to Medicares website and enter your mom's prescriptions, and it will list out the cost of drug plans from lowest to highest with the total cost per year for drugs and premiums. I wouldn't try to call any drug company for advice because they will only push one of their own plans.

Thanks Donno.

Just did this exercise.
Interesting enough Wellcare's Value Script plan came out the second lowest. Wellcare's 'Classic' plan did not make the list.

Do not put all trust into what's published on the Medicare site. Verify with the insurer to be sure.

I am very close to switching my Part D coverage to Silver Script. The savings for the two of us is significant.

Has anyone had issues with them?

I hate change.

I am very close to switching my Part D coverage to Silver Script. The savings for the two of us is significant.

I hate change.

No problems with them. They’ve been good for us.

I hate change.
DW uses Silverscript. No issues at all though she doesn't use much in prescriptions etc and only generic inexpensive ones at that.

My Humana Walmart Value Rx Plan, going from $ 24.20 to $ 44.50 here in California.
Will have to check out Aetna Silver script Saver every one is talking about.
Thanks for the info. Was going to let it slide.

Why do I always wait until the last minute :facepalm:. DH and I both have this plan and the increase is unacceptable especially with the crap Humana pulled last year.

I cannot find the website that allows you to enter the drugs you take and it spits out best Plan options. Can someone help me please. DH may be stuck with the Humana one as he takes a high cost maintenance med, however, mine cost almost nothing and I never come close to meeting the $400 yearly deductible so I know there's a cheapy out there that would meet my needs.

I do have our Medicare broker searching but I like to 'trust but verify' :LOL:.

Why do I always wait until the last minute :facepalm:. DH and I both have this plan and the increase is unacceptable especially with the crap Humana pulled last year.

I cannot find the website that allows you to enter the drugs you take and it spits out best Plan options. Can someone help me please. DH may be stuck with the Humana one as he takes a high cost maintenance med, however, mine cost almost nothing and I never come close to meeting the $400 yearly deductible so I know there's a cheapy out there that would meet my needs.

I do have our Medicare broker searching but I like to 'trust but verify' :LOL:.

Just go to Medicare.gov and search for a part D plan after you enter the medications you take.

Just go to Medicare.gov and search for a part D plan after you enter the medications you take.

I finally found it. I searched the Medicare site yesterday and could not find the link. Searched again just now and found it!

Also if you have no coverage when you do need drugs you pay a penalty for all the months you don't have coverage and that is permanent
Is this true also if you have a Part D plan, but choose to purchase drugs through GoodRx or other third party?

Is this true also if you have a Part D plan, but choose to purchase drugs through GoodRx or other third party?

AFAIK one has to have the coverage but can pay for meds however you choose.

Just talked to local, Walmart, Pharmacy. Asked the clerk exact same question.
She said "yes". I can show my Good RX card, and they can compare the
Part D insurance cost vs the Good RX price. And charge me the lower price.

Going to double check, on Medicare/gov. Walmart/Humana vs Aetna/SilverScript.

I'm in Ga. & we currently both have the Silverscript Smart saver PDP. My wife is going to change to the Wellcare Value script plan next year because even though the monthly premium is $11.10 the yearly total will be $193.20 because she will only one prescription that will not be $.00, and it will be cheap too. The total on the Silver script with a $7.30 monthly cost would be $490.80 for year at Kroger or CVS which we use. Unfortunatly i have to wait until the e !2th and see what my Dr. is going to put me on to find the best deal for me because of my COPD, I won't be in the inexspensive range anymore, not breathing good sux but at least I'm still breathing.When you put all you meds in make sure to look at the bottom line yearly total not just the cheapest monthly plan rate,because some meds cost more on the cheaper plans,even the generic meds. Good luck!

Last edited:
Was going to "skip" the search. But this "forum", motivated me!
Current. Walmart/Humana. 2022 $24.20, will be 2023 $44.50, in California.

Best deal for me: Wellcare Value Script. Total drug+prem. $99.60
Take: Atorvastatin,Glipizide,Metformin, Timolol.

For wife: Wellcare Value Scrip. Total drug+prem. $ 99.60.
Take: Atorvastin,Hydrochlorothiazide,Losartan.

INTERESTING: Be sure and list more than 1 pharmacy. I used, Walmart Pharmacy, Safeway Pharmacy, and CVS pharmacy.

The drug costs, are vastly different among the pharmacies.:mad:
:)
My savings: $ 482.40 Wife savings: $ 482.40

HOPE, the info. on Medicare.gov is accurate. :angel:

Thanks to this site and posters. Appears I will save around $ 964.80.:dance:

(as previous poster mention, Walmart/Humana, years ago, tricked many clients. They automatically put customers in more expensive plan D.
Unless, you "opted" to go for a cheaper plan D. This "site" saved many of us).

I'm preparing to go on Medicare in February, and have found the Medicare.gov site very helpful (if it's correct of course) and easy to use, especially for PDPs.

Another tip is to put in multiple pharmacies, as all plans don't honor all pharmacies.

Also, follow the URLs for the plan providers as you can get formullary detail...this will show which drugs are covered, which tier they fall into, and the cost for that tier.

Pharmacies, Pharmacies that are IN the drug plan, and Preferred Pharmacies in the drug plan. The drug plan's Preferred Pharmacies are the cheapest.

With Wellcare Value Script, I haven't seen much cost difference between one preferred and another preferred. If you look at a pharmacy that isn't a preferred pharmacy, the cost will be higher. After you select some pharmacies on medicare's finder, you can see which are Preferreds as you get into it.

I had a good Part D surprise. Earlier this year my doc prescribed Jardiance for me. With insurance it costs ~$1,400 annually. I recently had blood work and my annual wellness visit and my numbers were better so I asked him if there was something other than Jardiance that he could put me on. He said since my numbers improved and Jardiance was so expensive that we should try something different. The something different costs $5 a year!:dance:

Back
Top Bottom