Medicare Part D changes for 2024

The deductible usually doesn’t kick in until at least tier 2. Sometimes higher. Taking the example of the wellcare plan in my area it says a 500 plus deductible but if I put a generic that is quite cheap it shows the year drug cost as zero as there apparently is no copay and the deductible doesn’t apply

So if you're on all generics you don't have to worry about the deductible and only pay the usual low price? My meds usually run me about $4 per Rx. Is that correct?

Thanks. This is what I needed. My initial searches just ended up with 'sponsored' sites that want someone to call me.

Now I see there is a $545 deductible. IIRC that is only for special drugs not generics. I don't remember needing to reach a deductible in years past. Or, once again, am I misremembering?

I know, in the past, the Tier 1 drugs I am on were either free or a low co-pay. The deductible does not apply to these. Next year they will both be free, as well as my WellCare drug plan.

I highly recommend you check the Medicare website. If you log in to your account it will compare your current plan to other available plans, showing your expected yearly total costs (plan costs + drug costs).

After logging in, click on Health & Drug plans (near the top), then Find Health and Drug Plans

I know, in the past, the Tier 1 drugs I am on were either free or a low co-pay. The deductible does not apply to these. Next year they will both be free, as well as my WellCare drug plan.

I highly recommend you check the Medicare website. If you log in to your account it will compare your current plan to other available plans, showing your expected yearly total costs (plan costs + drug costs).

After logging in, click on Health & Drug plans (near the top), then Find Health and Drug Plans

Thanks, just spent half the afternoon there. Have a much better handle on things now.

Interesting conversations here. Thanks for all the information on Part D. Met with our insurance dude today. He ran our drugs through the Medicare site. Ended up suggesting we both change to Wellcare based on the results.

My Wellcare Value is going from $11.20/month in 2023 to 0 in 2024. I was astonished. :dance:

Although I am now 70 and have been on Medicare for just over 5 years, I have never had a Medicare Part D Prescription plan. It hasn't been that big of an issue as I obtain my medical care via the Veteran's Administration which counts as Creditable Coverage so I will not be liable for late enrollment penalties.

I am thinking about enrolling in the Wellcare Value plan this year as my premium would only be 0.50 monthly and would not really use it for my maintenance meds as I get them free from the VA. They are minimum generics for Cholesterol and blood pressure so would be free under the Wellcare plan anyway.

My major issue is that since I don't have a part D plan I have to use the VA for Covid, flu and other immunizations which are provided free under Medicare. That's really a pain in the backside as my VA clinic is 15 miles away and low volume so sometimes I can get it there and sometimes I have to go to the Regional Hospital (Atlanta) which is a nightmare in it's own right. It's about 30 miles away with extreme parking issues while Kroger is less than a mile away.

Total Wellcare plan cost is only $6.00 for the year but I was wondering is any others are in this situation and is it worth the hassle of yet another Medicare plan to maintain. Then again, maybe I'm just over thinking it..

Both my husband (Medicare age) and I use the VA. Secondary provider for him and sole provider for me for the last 12 years. I just signed up for Medicare for 2024! I always sign him up for the cheapest Part D plan (Wellcare, $0 for 2024) as a backup/convenience even though the VA coverage is creditable. He takes no regular meds and I have found that using GoodRX is usually the cheapest option for the one-off prescriptions he gets from his civilian primary or I get from the dentist. I have learned to always check GoodRX for us and for the cat (she has an account at Costco) if something is prescribed because it is always the cheapest option.

My Wellcare Value is going from $11.20/month in 2023 to 0 in 2024. I was astonished. :dance:

I came here to see if y'all had vetted the Wellcare $0 premium and I was reading the screen right on Medicare dot gov. It's real! :dance:

I’m dumping my SilverScript plan. They upped the premium from $76 to $106 and raised the price of my Advair to over $4,500 for the year! I checked GoodRx and other discounts and none are real discounts. AARP/UHC comes to the rescue charging less than $500/year for Advair. My Albuterol is more expensive but GoodRx brings that price way down. AARP/UHC premium is high at $107/ month, but overall costs for my medications will be better.

Both my husband (Medicare age) and I use the VA. Secondary provider for him and sole provider for me for the last 12 years. I just signed up for Medicare for 2024! I always sign him up for the cheapest Part D plan (Wellcare, $0 for 2024) as a backup/convenience even though the VA coverage is creditable. He takes no regular meds and I have found that using GoodRX is usually the cheapest option for the one-off prescriptions he gets from his civilian primary or I get from the dentist. I have learned to always check GoodRX for us and for the cat (she has an account at Costco) if something is prescribed because it is always the cheapest option.

I have tried several times to use GoodRX for non VA prescriptions from my Oral Surgeon and from my MOHS surgeon in the past couple of years. Usually just for generic antibiotics and pain meds. Every time, my Kroger Pharmacist has told me to forget GoodRX as they could give me a better price and then proceeded to do so. Wellcare being so cheap for next year though, I think it's time to cover myself just in case. Some day they might try to give me a script that adds up to real money.

I’m dumping my SilverScript plan. They upped the premium from $76 to $106 and raised the price of my Advair to over $4,500 for the year!

That's very high, over retail I think!

Every year my RX plan increases from 10/month to 30 and I switch plans. However, this year I have WellCare and it went to zero for next year. I was shocked. I quit taking advair 5 years ago when it went up to 200/month when previously it was 50. I now take Montelukast in generic form and it’s free.

I have tried several times to use GoodRX for non VA prescriptions from my Oral Surgeon and from my MOHS surgeon in the past couple of years. Usually just for generic antibiotics and pain meds. Every time, my Kroger Pharmacist has told me to forget GoodRX as they could give me a better price and then proceeded to do so. Wellcare being so cheap for next year though, I think it's time to cover myself just in case. Some day they might try to give me a script that adds up to real money.

I'm guessing if we get into a 'real money' script, it probably won't be on their formulary but you can't beat $0!

The 6% cap on Part D premium increases through 2030 should help. In replies to your post last year about this time, bizlady posted a very nice summation of upcoming changes to Part D due to the new legislation.

I found it very helpful.

My Plan D cost is doubling from $20 a month to $40 a month. The delectable is going up my $60. It's AARP's Medicare Walgreen plan.

Time to shop around.

Last edited:
My Plan D cost is doubling from $20 a month to $48 a month. The deductible is going up by $60. It's AARP's Medicare Walgreen plan.

Time to shop around.

I found a plan with a monthly cost of $3.50 and a deductible that is $240 less. I don't have a lot of prescriptions and none are for any drug that is above $100 a month. All are generics of medicines that have been in use for many years, such as a statin.

The only negative is that instead of being a 10 minute walk from home, it's now a several miles from home and a good 60 minute round trip on foot. But, I can get groceries there also.

Last edited:
I found a plan with a monthly cost of $3.50 and a deductible that is $240 less. I don't have a lot of prescriptions and none are for any drug that is above $100 a month. All are generics of medicines that have been in use for many years, such as a statin.

The only negative is that instead of being a 10 minute walk from home, it's now a several miles from home and a good 60 minute round trip on foot. But, I can get groceries there also.

Well the long walk has health benefits, right?

Back
Top Bottom