Mega Millions 2022

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pellice

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
There's a very old thread, so made a new one.

I have played the lottery fewer than 10 times in my life, but bought a ticket today, with the 1 billion$ prize and all, just to have something to focus my imagination.

But the last time I bought a ticket must have been some years before my retirement in 2018, and now that I've bought it, it's much easier to see the downsides of winning than it was before I left working life. Before, I could imagine it freeing me from fear and anxiety, now it's easy to imagine a winning ticket incurring fear and anxiety.

Interesting change in perspective and shows me how grateful I am to have retired when I did.

We also bought them, which is rare. Wondering what we would buy is a nice short term fantasy in retirement.

Winning $1B. I can't imagine a more effective way to totally screw up my life and that of my family. No way am I buying a ticket.

I see nothing to worry about with winning. You could skim a few million off the top and give the rest away. Let’s get that win before we worry about how to handle it. :)

Winning $1B. I can't imagine a more effective way to totally screw up my life and that of my family. No way am I buying a ticket.

Well, there's an easy way to fix it if one thinks buying the winning ticket was a mistake. Write a very large check to one's favorite charity.

If we win (figure $350M after taxes), we'll take the cash option and put about $300M in a foundation and hire someone to manage it. Give away lots to family and friends. Live off of the rest.

I occasionally buy one when there’s an extraordinarily large jackpot as there is at the moment. But I have to chuckle at my inconsistency - it’s worth risking a couple of bucks for a chance at $1B but throwing away my money to do the same when the jackpot is “only” a couple of million?

The odds are so bad you would need to pick the right inch in 4775 miles. In other words, the right inch between Kansas City and the East Coast of Russia. Good Luck

Well, there's an easy way to fix it if one thinks buying the winning ticket was a mistake. Write a very large check to one's favorite charity.

Sure, but how do you keep the fact you won an unbelievable amount of money from family and friends? Yes, there are confidentiality measures by the lottery commission, but will you or your spouse be able to keep the fact you won quiet forever? And if it gets out will your family and friends resent the fact you gave it to charity and didn't share with them? And if you do keep a portion to share with them, will they be unhappy you didn't share more? And where do you draw the line on who you share it with? And on and on and on...

I see far more opportunity for resentment and strife than for positive benefit in winning a huge lottery payout. Guess that's a downside of having enough.

Last edited:
Sure, but how do you keep the fact you won an unbelievable amount of money from family and friends? Yes, there are confidentiality measures by the lottery commission, but will you or your spouse be able to keep the fact you won quiet forever? And if it gets out will your family resent the fact you gave it to charity and didn't share with them? And if you do keep a portion to share with them, will they be unhappy you didn't share more? And where do you draw the line on who you share it with? And on and on and on...

I see far more opportunity for resentment and strife than for positive benefit in winning a huge lottery payout. Guess that's a downside of having enough.

I feel the same way. Even if we decide to give most of it away (and we would), and even if there is no resentment from family and friends (there will be) it just sounds like W*RK to go though all the effort.

That said, DW will probably tell me to get a ticket tonight:facepalm:

Side note: We know a couple that won around $2million. That was just the right size for them to win. Late fifty's when they won. Both retired within a year of winning with decent pensions and they took the annuity. $75 grand of BTD money every year.

Not enough for the distant relatives to come out of the woodwork, but enough to enjoy themselves and spoil the kids and grandkids.

Side note: We know a couple that won around $2million. That was just the right size for them to win. Late fifty's when they won. Both retired within a year of winning with decent pensions and they took the annuity. $75 grand of BTD money every year.

Not enough for the distant relatives to come out of the woodwork, but enough to enjoy themselves and spoil the kids and grandkids.

Yep, a million or two would be far less likely to cause problems.

Perchik : Money is the world's curse.
Tevye : May the Lord smite me with it. And may I never recover!

I occasionally buy one when there’s an extraordinarily large jackpot as there is at the moment. But I have to chuckle at my inconsistency - it’s worth risking a couple of bucks for a chance at $1B but throwing away my money to do the same when the jackpot is “only” a couple of million?

The NPV starts to become positive around $600 mill...

If I were to win :), I'm sure there would be 5 or 10 other winners. But I could live with that.

If I could buy a ticket by a simple tap of an app, I might.

But I'm not about to go out and physically buy a ticket at a convenient store or gas station for a measly $1 billion.

I had the entire inside of my house painted in late May. When they moved the refrigerator there was $20 bill there.
It’s been on the fridge ever since.
I used it this morning to stop by a 7-11 and buy $20 worth- so 10 sets of numbers.
I figure it’s a lucky $20. [emoji256]

The standard advice is to hire a lawyer, a CPA, and a fee financial planner. If anyone asks you for money, tell them to talk to your lawyer.

I think the lotto is a cruel tax and worse to win than to lose. My BFF ($500K in debt at 78) buys at least 10 tickets a week (probably more now.) I love him like a brother and despise the folks who came up with the lotto.

I have no issue with "gaming" for those who can afford it. I used to bet a cup of coffee on my "home team" and if folks bought ONE lotto ticket, no one gets hurt. BUT the lotto only works when people bet irresponsibly! Otherwise, the current 1.2 B prize would be 20 million. Big winners are hounded by grifters and usually end up divorced, broke, dependent and miserable. What's not to like?

Sorry for the rant. It's personal. MY BFF has plenty of problems and he doesn't need more though YMMV.

The ROMEO group I belong to bought 30 tickets and if we win, we are going to send the money to the U.S. Treasury to help pay down the country's debt.

All of us are good American's and some of us are Viet Nam combat vets. We even have a West Point grad and a Naval Academy vet in the group:)

I spent $20 on 10 tickets to win $2 in last Wednesday's drawing so today I decided to try a different tactic and spread my $20 over a few different games to get more tickets for my money.
I bought 5 Mega tickets(Jackpot 1 Billion+), 10 Super Lotto(1 million) and 1 Powerball (17 Million) ticket for my $22 and have 16 chances on 3 different games this week.

There was an older man in line who handed the clerk $10 for a ticket and was confused when he got $8 change. He thought the tickets were $10 each so he went ahead and bought 4 more and walked out of the store smiling. I really hope he wins something in tonight's drawing. Like me, he evidently does not buy these very often.

I bought 1 ticket. The winning one of course. I can see how winning the jackpot could make life worse for the already retired and well off people that frequent this site but it would be a huge positive for my life. Obviously I don't need $375M(after tax estimate) but it would be a net positive over my life now. I would also accept the million dollar secondary prize. That would be enough for me to retire no problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom