Mega Millions 2022

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have not bought a lottery ticket in years. But this thread got me thinking. What would I need more money for?

I already have plenty of money to buy more solar panels and lithium cells to charge with said panels. I have a stack of panels still unmounted, and lithium cells sitting in my garage. Still trying to figure out where to install them. What do I do with more panels and cells?

Oh, I know. I can buy a ranch to have plenty of room for a mini solar farm!

Now, when is the drawing?

I would just like to say that if I win I will have no problem spending the money. I could probably spend it in my sleep. I’m that good at spending money.🫅

In Pennsylvania you can buy lottery tickets on an app. Way too easy!

Same here in Michigan.

Lotto story with a strategy. The year I retired, I won $50K on a lotto ticket. The strategy I missed was that they have something like a power play or multiplier for an extra dollar. Had I done that I would have won $100K. Now all my tickets have the extra play for $3. Of course they don’t multiply the jackpot.

we bought 3-tix ($6) cuz that's what we had left in our state lottery "bank". we don't need the $...we have a nice 7-figure met worth...but it's a great fantacy. what would we do? a lot of charities will be very. very happy.

I would be able to give to many and in so many ways I would love to win!! I think I bought a couple of tickets maybe one time in my life. I know many that never miss a week of buying tickets.

A woman on the news said that if she won, she would hire a lawyer, a financial planner, and another lawyer to watch the first two. Made me laugh.

The ROMEO group I belong to bought 30 tickets and if we win, we are going to send the money to the U.S. Treasury to help pay down the country's debt.

All of us are good American's and some of us are Viet Nam combat vets. We even have a West Point grad and a Naval Academy vet in the group:)

To all the servicemen and women, we thank you. For those who served in Viet Nam we welcome you home.

If you win, you needn't worry about sending money to lower the country's debt. The gummint will take half up front! :cool: Best luck. I hope your ROMEO groups wins the full 1.2B! Well, I hope my BFF wins a million of the total so he'll have half a mil to pay off his debt before he dies - not that he would do that.:(

:flowers:

Yeah, looks like I'm still stuck in OMY :) Not one number! I bought a ticket as I was in line at the grocery and no one was at the machine. I figured it was worth $2. $747M+ in cash value.

I have always wondered if there is any way to hide a win of the lotto. I'd be willing to spend a lot to do that. I recall hearing stories of lotto winners receiving mail boxes stuffed full of requests for money AFTER they had moved a couple of times to escape the onslaught. Many letters were addressed "To Big Lotto Winner" Podunk City, State. The USPS didn't want to mess with the mail so they just delivered it since they knew who the winners were. Easy for USPS, not so easy for folks trying to escape the leaches. YMMV

I think the lotto is a cruel tax and worse to win than to lose. My BFF ($500K in debt at 78) buys at least 10 tickets a week (probably more now.) I love him like a brother and despise the folks who came up with the lotto.

I have no issue with "gaming" for those who can afford it. I used to bet a cup of coffee on my "home team" and if folks bought ONE lotto ticket, no one gets hurt. BUT the lotto only works when people bet irresponsibly! Otherwise, the current 1.2 B prize would be 20 million. Big winners are hounded by grifters and usually end up divorced, broke, dependent and miserable. What's not to like?

Sorry for the rant. It's personal. MY BFF has plenty of problems and he doesn't need more though YMMV.

My grandmother ran a numbers racket out of her store for years. Now that state does it and it's OK.

Definition of a state lottery: A tax on people who didn't study their math.

My grandmother ran a numbers racket out of her store for years. Now that state does it and it's OK.

Definition of a state lottery: A tax on people who didn't study their math.

Yeah, I've never actually done it, but I could see buying one lotto ticket and use it to focus your desire for FIRE. If you're having a bad week, $2 on a chance to win millions is probably worth it and hurts no one. It's when folks like BFF actually think they have a chance to win - and think it will solve all their problems. I've tried to convince BFF that his habit is counter productive, but he needs that fix now. It's sad for him and many others who, as you say, simply do not understand how badly they are being scammed. The numbers just don't add up.

Argh, I forgot to go buy after dinner.

No ranch, no megawatt solar farm for me either.

Maybe I read my numbers wrong, it's early ...

My wife suggested I buy one ticket but I forgot. That should tell you how important it is to me. It is just too much trouble to deal with all the foolishness that surrounds it if you win. I am fine just the way we are since we are better off financially than I thought I would be. However, it would be fun to make substantial donations to a few animal shelters (both for domestic as well as rescued and injured wild animals) that are always struggling. Maybe I will buy a ticket the next time if I remember.

Cheers!

I used to own a couple of convenience stores that sold lottery tickets. There was a guy that would come in every week. He had won $180k a few years earlier and now bought $282 worth of tickets...every week...from my store. And I know that he -also- bought tickets from other stores every week. Man, fun can transition to addiction pretty damn quick.

The NPV starts to become positive around $600 mill...

If only one person wins!

Just read that there was one winning ticket. Woo Hoo, that’s a lot of money!

Just read that there was one winning ticket. Woo Hoo, that’s a lot of money!

“One sole winning jackpot ticket was sold in a Speedway convenience store in Des Plaines, Illinois in historic $1.28 billion drawing, according to Mega Millions.”

Anyone we know?

If that's true, then to the winner I say congratulations - and you have my deepest sympathy.

Yeah, I always thought the "sweet spot" of lottery winnings was maybe between $500K and a couple million. It's enough to really smooth things like debt or FIRE but not so much that you will be hounded to death by all the leaches out there. YMMV

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom