Memorial Day

IndependentlyPoor

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Some other websites have started "Who are you remembering on Memorial Day?" sections, and I think it a nice tribute. This album includes folks I think of on Memorial Day.

Early Retirement & Financial Independence Community - IndependentlyPoor's Album: WWII photos

14146-albums55-picture389.jpeg

I think of my father, several uncles, my husband. My father enlisted in the Army Air Corps right after Pearl Harbor at age 36. He used to say he fought the battles of the health resorts...Miami Beach, Colorado Springs, San Diego. One of my uncles was stationed in Alaska during WW II(I have photos of him in a parka in front of a quonset hut). Another uncle was a chemist during WW II at Ft. Detrick, MD. My husband was in Saudi Arabia and Kuwait during Desert Storm, attached to an Evac hospital.

I remember a childhood friend’s ex-husband, part of his profile below is from the virtual wall site. Their wedding in 1964 was a very simple, short ceremony in the Methodist church followed by cake and punch in the church basement. I don’t have a photo but I remember his face that day, round and red, short blonde hair.

I can’t find the site today, but there was a place online where people could leave messages. Some who knew him in the service and later in Vietnam left very nice messages for his two sons.

Attachments

• IMG_7519.jpg
    IMG_7519.jpg
    502.6 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:
Great-grandfather -- Minnesota National Guard -- WWI
Grandfather -- U.S. Army -- WWII -- France and Germany
Grandfather -- U.K. ARP Warden -- killed in the Blitz
Father -- U.S. Navy -- Vietnam
Aunt -- U.S. Navy

While going through some papers, we found a two page 'diary' of DH's uncle when he was overseas in 1946. The pages were a bit difficult to read so I typed them instead of adding an attachment.

We got off the ferry and fell into another formation. The Red Cross was there with coffee and donuts. They also had a band that made us feel a little better. After awhile we boarded the ships, “The General William Wiegler”. We were all assigned bunks which were 4 high. I was right on the bottom deck on the bottom bunk, I guess about 4 feet under water. We all went to bed and the first time I woke I could hear the old chug chug of the ships engines and I knew we were on our way. I felt heartsick but knew that there was nothing to do but just take it easy, so I made out the best I could.

The next morning I went up on deck to take a look at the great Atlantic. There were ships all around. It was a sight for one who had never been on the sea.

Well for the next 13 days there is little to say, for we just rode and vomited and rode and vomited. On the 13th day we arrived at Le Havre, France. We anchored off shore early the morning we arrived. We stayed at anchor for about 2 hrs. And then we slowly moved in through Hitler’s great, as he said, Atlantic wall. It sure looked great then after the yanks had been through. The ships pulled up to land and we stayed on the ship until about 4 o’clock in the afternoon. Then a landing barge pulled up alongside and we started unloading. We fell out again in formation on the shores of France. Le Havre lay flat and dead. We marched to the 15th Rein. Ban. And had chow which was not bad. After we ate we were all issued a couple of blankets and marched off the train station and boarded a train again cramped. We rode that train for 4 days and nights getting as much sleep as we could sitting in our cramped positions.

On the following day we arrived at Verviers, Belgium at another reinforcement camp. We had more training and hikes. We stayed there about 3 weeks and then boarded another train for Worms, Germany. We were getting near the front at Worms. The second nite there we had an air raid. I had just gone to bed when the air raid whistle blew. I piled out of my bunk in zero weather and I thought that was about the fastest I’ve ever gotten in my clothes. Nothing like home when the ten-minute whistle would blow, we all ran for the foxholes. The sky was lit up with tracer ammunition. That went on for 4 or 5 nights. I think they must have shot him down. We called him “Bedcheck” Charlie. This was in Worms. We finally left Worms one morning heading closer to the front. We landed in another Reinf. Depot. This time we slept in a pine forest in pup tents and that was just about the toughest two weeks I had. It rained every day and nite. We had a movie out in the open about 5-minute walk from camp. I never will forget sitting out on that hill seeing the picture. It was raining as hard as I had ever seen it rain. Well, we stayed there about 2 weeks, finally the good news came THE WAR HAD ENDED, but we still didn’t know our future. I was thinking about the 2 or 3 years I was going to have to spend in Germany.

We went to the 533rd AAA outfit after the war was over. I was assigned to the motor pool as a dispatcher, truck driver and jeep driver. About 3 months with this outfit then to the 398 AAA. More guard 6 months with the 398 in Mieshach and then to Dachau guarding an SS camp, then to Munich with the 3rd Army Stockade. Then when we left Dachau, I went to Nuremberg guarding a first looie. Three weeks with the looie then back to Munich. I read in the Stars and Stripes 50 pointers eligible for discharge 31st December. I was happy then. I thought I was out of the Army right then but I was wrong for in one week 50 pointers were transferred to 571st AAA for guard at the AWOL stockade. Three weeks of that and then 50 to 52 pointers were transferred to Pegnits, Germany for shipping home.

Tonite as I write this I have just wrote Boo and mother, Dad and Ben a letter. Tonite I am thinking of that great day which is getting nearer and nearer of going back to the ones I love to live forever and ever in peace.

Feb. 10, (1946) Sunday

Still sitting around doing nothing. Been here in 381st FA Bn. 5 days. Life is easy but when a fellow has nothing to do he’s always thinking of home. Chow sure is terrible but may get better in a week. Rumors today we will leave here for Le Havre the 16th. I hope so. I want to get out of Germany. Just read in Stars and Stripes things were tough back home but when a fellow spends a year over here he can take anything. Today noon was the deadline on mailing letters.

Harding said the captain said we were to load on the boat on the 28th of February. We are supposed to leave her (Pegnitz) the 16th of February which is 6 more days. Happy Day! Well it was the 21st when we left Pegnitz. On the train through northern Germany then across the Rhine into France. We made Le Havre on the 24th after 70 hours on the train, a miserable trip that was.

In Camp Phillip Morris now waiting for shipment. As I write these lines I am onboard the Gen. Howze 200 miles out of New York. We stayed at camp P.M. 7 days. We got on the Gen. Howze the 3rd of March but didn’t until the 4th. Today is the 12th of March. We’ve been at sea 8 days. We are supposed to get in New York tomorrow morning and start deboarding at o’clock and then go to Camp Kilmer. We had a storm yesterday and it lasted all night. Waves were jumping clear over the font of the ship. I slept in my clothes all nite. It seemed the ship was jumping out of the water every time a wave hit. We docked in New York City that day. We were met at the dock by a band consisting of a Jazz horn and a drum. We unloaded and marched to the train that carried us to Camp Kilmer. We arrived in Kilmer about 10 o’clock that night. The C.O. put on the big steak supper for us.

Back
Top Bottom