Might be looking for a good OTA DVR

Do you have a problem losing connection to the USB drive? I have been having to put the box in standby to soft boot (red standby button) to make the box find the USB device again.

I've had this happen twice. I unplugged and powered off the hard drive and Mediasonic to reset the connection. I noticed the USB cable connection felt a little loose, so I replaced the USB cable and haven't had the problem since.

ERD - Just saw your msg re:firmware fix for the time issue and emailed them too. Thanks

ERD,

I didn't know the box will still record while being it on standby.
I will try it. Thank you!

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum

Another update on my Mediasonic HW-150PVR:

Amazon.com: Mediasonic HW-150PVR HomeWorx ATSC Digital TV Converter Box with Media Player and Recording PVR Function/HDMI Out (Black): Electronics

Earlier, I reported how I would get an occasional ~ 1 second 'glitch' in the recording, maybe 1-2 per half hour. I ruled out signal strength, it was no worse when I recorded a very marginal station with drop outs all through the recording - it just recorded the broadcast dropouts as well.

But... I bought DW one for Christmas, to put on the upstairs TV, with a bunch of my pre-recorded shows so she has a 'library' to draw from when 'nothing's on'. And I bought a brand new 1TB drive to put on our original PVR. I decided to set the new PVR to record some of the same shows, so I could determine if the dropouts were occurring at the same time on each.

After two weeks of monitoring, we didn't see a single glitch on the old PVR with the new Hard Drive. So I'm pretty sure it is either a buffering issue with the old drive, or maybe occasionally drawing more USB power than the PVR can deliver. I have not gone back to watch the recordings on the old drive with new PVR yet, to see if that combo has any glitches.

FWIW, this is the 'new' drive:

http://goo.gl/BlVrAd

It is USB3, but that's not it, the PVR is USB2, which is plenty fast enough - if the device buffers properly.

-ERD50

Back
Top Bottom