More people are working in their 80s

Right on, martyp.

My greatest gifts to myself and my coworkers was checking out on my own terms as I lost interest and competence.

I still do stuff for myself and others, but it is 180 degrees away from engineering and padding a CEOs pocket.

Fulfilled and happy.

Heh, heh, I had intentionally replaced myself before I left. I wasn't sure when I was going to leave - only when things turned ugly - which they eventually did. I had taught the guy everything I knew during his Masters program in our field.

Call me Mrs. Irrelevant. I relish the title.

A coworker of mine retired at 85 this past December. He had had triple bypass surgery in 2021, and still worked another 1.5 years following that. I know he enjoyed working, but I'm hoping to hang it up 25 years earlier than he did (at least). Heck I'd be lucky to make it to 85.

As a straight white male conservative Christian I’ve been “irrelevant” for decades. I don’t need to be retired to get that designation. Given the status of this world I will gladly consider myself irrelevant. The things you have to be or do to be considered relevant by society aren’t worth it.

Back
Top Bottom