Mother's Long Term Care Insurance Company Giving Me the Run Around

Thanks Nords. Mother is seeing a neurologist who is helping me with the LTCI, how does this differ from a Neuropsychologist?
You’re welcome! We never talk about these things until we find out that everyone is either dealing with it in their family or knows someone who’s dealing with it.

You can check the difference with her neurologist, who’d probably tell you that neurologists can prescribe medication while neuropsychologists do not. One of them might cost more than the other, too. There are probably more differences that I’m not aware of.

These distinctions might not make a difference if her neurologist can do a similar assessment to get the long-term care insurance claim approved.

I remember that in 2011 the neuropsychologist asked my father to answer the classic dementia screening questions:
- Draw an analog clock face, label the hours on the face, and put the clock hands at 3:25 PM.
- Count backwards from 100... by 7s.
- Spell a verbal list of words... backwards.
- Use a phone to demonstrate calling the fire department (especially if the patient has to dial a 1 for an outside line). This question might have been rendered obsolete by smartphones.

Dad failed miserably at all of these questions, although he joked about spelling his last name backwards and drawing Mickey Mouse’s hands on the clock face. Yet at the same time he could easily pass the MMSE.

I remember the neuropsychologist also wrote a paragraph noting that Dad had several bruises, burns, and scabs from injuring himself around his apartment. Dad dismissed it as clumsiness.

The neuropsychologist told Dad up front that his assessment was to see how well Dad was recovering from recent surgery and to assess his competency for living independently. He said that his writeup would be used for Dad’s long-term insurance claim, to have my brother take care of Dad, and to have me take care of Dad’s finances. Dad agreed with all of that (and signed the consent form) without actually understanding any of the conversation... but he did a great imitation of comprehension.

Dad was also at a stage where he could carry on a coffee-shop conversation with random people for up to 30 minutes before he began to repeat himself, or before the other person noticed that something seemed off. During his first year in the care facility (with early-stage Alzheimer’s) he was the “street mayor” who asked all of the new residents what caused them to be staying there, how they were doing today, how was their family, and so on. He did it well enough that many of the new residents (and their families) thought he was a volunteer on staff instead of another resident.

Fortunately I do not think I will need a guardianship, so far the POA I have has been accepted by the financial institutions. Mother does have mild dementia (actually it came on suddenly after Covid and she has been diagnosed with Covid induced dementia) but her main problem is heart failure.
Well, good luck with that-- it’s up to the financial institutions and they can always change their minds about whether the POA is still valid.

Technically, a general power of attorney is considered invalid when the grantor is not mentally competent. (This includes comas and some medical treatments as well as dementia.) Of course there are many spouses and family members who have all of the logins and passwords (and can imitate their voice on phone calls, and can possibly forge their signatures) to take care of business without any legal permission. Most authorities wouldn’t object (let alone prosecute) if the helper was acting in a fiduciary manner. If there’s a personal relationship with the business then they may even be willing to overlook the cognition situation until their corporate lawyers step in.

The legal permission for a dementia caregiver is a durable POA (signed before the grantor is no longer mentally competent), or a conservatorship (for finances), or a guardianship (for personal care). Each state has their own versions of these laws.

The legal permission for handling title to real estate (selling the grantor’s home or signing a lease as a landlord for a tenant) is a revocable living trust. Title companies (and title insurers) have been burned too many times by real-estate owners who were deemed mentally incompetent, but who later regained their competence and sued to reverse the real-estate decisions made by a caregiver. A RLT is considered a legal entity that can transfer title without calling its legitimacy into dispute, although the trustees of the RLT might disagree over what’s been done.

If your POA is declared invalid or simply declined (for whatever reason), and you do not have a DPOA or a RLT, then your only legal recourse is to petition a probate court for guardianship/conservatorship. In Denver during 2011 this cost us nearly $6000 in legal fees. Even worse, it took nearly nine months to gather the paperwork and get on the court calendar. I had to pass a judge’s interview (with a professionally certified conservator), complete a background screening & criminal-records check, and even agree that I could be extradited from my home (Hawaii) to the Denver probate court if they thought it was necessary. I then spent the next six years under the benevolent oversight of the probate court, filing annual financial reports & plans along with answering any questions and responding to their helpful suggestions. When Dad passed away I had to file eight more reports to formally end my conservancy... even though the court already knew that Dad had passed away.

Mother does have mild dementia (actually it came on suddenly after Covid and she has been diagnosed with Covid induced dementia) but her main problem is heart failure. She is having difficulty walking and has fallen several times. and is short of breath.
My spouse and I are in our 60s, and we had no idea of our pandemic vulnerabilities. We knew that we didn’t want to make our care any harder on our family than it already might be.

We’ve done the DPOA and RLT planning for our disability, mainly so that our daughter doesn’t get bagged with the same situation that I had with my father:
https://militaryfinancialindependence.com/2019/10/31/family-estate-planning-for-your-disability/
With what I’ve learned from caring for my father, if I was in this situation with someone again then I’d set up the DPOA (and possibly the RLT) right now before anything changes for the worse.

Thanks Nords, good advice. My mother has a Durable Power of Attorney as well as Health Care Power of Attorney and Living Will. I also got POAs from some the financial institutions that they wanted her to sign and that is done. I did the IRS POA and and special POA for her savings bonds I have meet with the financial institutions and they say I can act as her POA which I am doing. And she is in a very nice CCRC. She has no real estate. So I "hope" I have most of the details taken care of except for the Long Term Care Insurance which is the problem I have right now.

So I "hope" I have most of the details taken care of...
It looks like you're in much better shape than I was.

Hopefully the LTC insurer stops dithering, perhaps with the nudges of the state insurance regulator and her neurologist.

And she is in a very nice CCRC.

My apologies if you've already mentioned this harllee, but is your mother in a Life Care CCRC or a contract B or contract C type?

My apologies if you've already mentioned this harllee, but is your mother in a Life Care CCRC or a contract B or contract C type?

Unfortunately she is in a Type C fee for services CCRC. That was the only kind available in her town. Hence the need for her LTC insurance. She paid a small entry fee ( I think it was $60,000) and a she paid a reasonable monthly fee for independent living ($2400 per month for a nice apt, all utilities and housekeeping included, one meal a day, activities, free bus, etc, it has been wonderful for her). When she moved into assisted living the fees jumped up to market rate, which I thought was going to be covered by the long term care insurance. HAH!

I myself am moving into a Life Care CCRC next month. I have no long term care insurance and should have no need for it in a my CCRC.

Wonder how many families have 2 generations living in CCRCs? I am 72, mom 92.

Given the ease of deniability ioffaxes, I wonder if the old fashion choice of envelope, sent via Fed/EXp/USPS/UPS overnight with signature required might cut the convo short when there is signature, date, etc is from third party in hand. Yes, more expensive than your fax but a whole lot less stress than repeating and repeating. ��*♀️
I'm a big fan of this strategy, but I usually address the package to a senior executive in the company. You'd be amazed how responsive the CEO is when this kinda stuff crosses her desk.

Harllee - After lurking for 20+years, I created a user profile just so I could respond to you.

It was about 2 years ago that I was in your position. Same company: MetLife.

MetLife website says to call in order to get the Intake Packet. But if your mother and father signed up at the same time, and for whatever reason, they might have your dads ssn as your mothers ssn. So they will never find it using ssn. (Happened to me!)

Take the last policy premium increase notice, or annual notice: it should have a policy number. They should be able to look it up from that policy number. Then make sure that for your mothers core information: birthdate, ssn, update address, etc are correct. If they are wrong, nothing will get processed. For me, that had to be corrected first.

Then you complete the Intake Packet. They will do an initial assessment using the information on the Intake form with an phone discussion. Be as sweet as pie, to the intake processor.

For both the Intake processor, and later during any conversation with the Application Reviewer:
- MetLife only needs 2 ADLs: so if the Assisted Living is holding /handling out the medications, that's one. If she is bathing herself, but someone is nearby because a fear of falling, that is bathing assistance. Need any help dressing, however little? that's another. Say things like "She would die if I told you that I had to get her Depends because she would never make it to the potty" - that incontinence, that's three. If your mom has not cooked since she is in the Assisted Living facility, another ADL. And to be honest, while dementia should qualify on its own, I said she needed help with everything: prompting to brush teeth, combing hair, finances - neurologist said she should not handle finances, etc. I was told by a friend to share any in-appropriate behaviors: undressing in public, laughing when someone tells them they have cancer, etc. Remember, you are reporting what the worst day is like, not the best.

If you know her base information is correct, then you can fax in the Intake form. (Obviously if the Intake form doesn't match the birthdate, ssn, there would be problem - that's why these have to be right up front.) If you mail it, it does not get in the electronic system. The fax goes in an electronic fax system. After you fax the Intake form, you can call you Intake person after 30 minutes, and before 2 hours, and they should be able to find it in the electronic fax queue if it has not yet been routed and attached to your Intake profile.

Once you get a completed Intake number, they will give you a DIFFERENT number for the actual Application. And You will get a different person will be reviewing the Application.
- Do not rush the application: you want everything submitted at the same time: think of the poor person who has to review this claim. Make their life easy: have all doctors submission, all hospital notices, all neurology reports, all MRI reports, copies of the POA, copies of the HIPAA forms, the confirmation of 24 hour nurse at the assisted living facility, etc. (I think I faxed 187 pages in one fax submission) My fax cover page had the new Application number (not the prior Intake number) - and I had a Table of Contents (for the entire fax) on the front page - and the Cover page stated that I required them to send me email when they received the fax - otherwise, I would send it again and again. i only sent it twice - the same day, and they did email me. I think a written letter came later in the mail.

It sounds like things have been mailed in pieces: gather up everything again, and send one big fax so everything is in one place.

Overall from the time the Application fax chunk was sent (and acknowledged), it then took 88 or 89 days for the actual approval. I called the Application reviewer from time to time - once a month maybe? - to ask if they needed anything, was there anything I could get them, etc. Pointed to where they could find certain information in the faxed packet.

I actually got a call from the Application Reviewer to let me know that "her claim" was approved, and wanted to know if I wanted to go back even further from the date of her last hospitalization release.

Once approved, MetLife issued another ID # - the Claim Recipient ID that had to be on every claim submitted. They reimbursed premiums from the initial "start" date, there was a 90 wait period before benefits, but they paid all time after that (had to submit detailed invoices for the 90 wait period as well), and also asked me to send them invoices for "medical equipment" for up to $500. (I think my Intake person person had warned me so I started to collect them - the Lift recliner, the Side Bed Assist, the Shower Chair for a Tall Person, etc - send all those invoice/bills for the $500 at one time as you only get one take at this reimbursement.)

I have to say that once you get through this, once we got 2 or 3 invoices paid, all future claims were paid like clockwork - her CCRC sent the monthly invoice around 1st-3rd and mom would get her benefit direct deposited around 10th - 15th - and then a EOB-type form re: the amount deposited.

In the end, I was very pleased with MetLife - mom received 23 months of benefits. I estimated that she got back the premiums she paid in about 7 months.

Last edited:
Harllee - After lurking for 20+years, I created a user profile just so I could respond to you.

<snip>

In the end, I was very pleased with MetLife - mom received 23 months of benefits. I estimated that she got back the premiums she paid in about 7 months.

Thank you SO much for creating a profile and going into all this detail. It shows all of us how important it is to have an organized, rational person in our court when we can't advocate for ourselves. I hope it helps the OP.

carlight, thanks for your very helpful post. And for joining just to post it. I wish I could hire you to help me. I have stopped working on my mothers LTC insurance for now. I am moving myself into a CCRC this month and simply do not have the time to work on this. I have already spent hours and hours. Interesting how you describe the ADL situation, I have been told something much different.. MetLife told me that assistance with medication did not count, that since mother can still use a fork and spoon that did not count etc.
I have a sister who is the substitute POA and she says she does not have the time to work on this either. My mother is getting weaker every day and I do not expect her to live much longer. Bottom line, MetLife will probably win this one, mom will probably die before I can get her claim approved.

harllee -
You might be right about medication - but I would say that get the list from the internet about ADLs and IADLs - and give it some thought in advance as to what you might say: you might be surprised which ones you might be able to come up with an example: I had heard the horror stories: I had looked to see if there was someone I could hire to do this for me. After I could not find one, my goal was to find something down for all of them.

After your move: Hopefully your mother will live a long time, but should she pass, you should continue to pursue the claim: in that case, there is "no way that she was perfectly fine" She is entitled to the benefits: in some way from a benefits processor perspective, if she did pass, they would know the total benefit claim amounts, and sometimes it might make it easier.

Focus on your move - this can be waiting for you when you get done unpacking.

Harllee, I am sorry that you are going through this also. I hope that you are able to get it straightened out.

Good luck in your move to the CCRC. I know that you have been waiting a long time. I would be interested in hearing how you both like it, when your life gets back to normal.

Carlight, I agree with Athena, about how nice it is for you to write this post. Thank you.

MetLife website says to call in order to get the Intake Packet. But if your mother and father signed up at the same time, and for whatever reason, they might have your dads ssn as your mothers ssn. So they will never find it using ssn. (Happened to me!)

Take the last policy premium increase notice, or annual notice: it should have a policy number. They should be able to look it up from that policy number. Then make sure that for your mothers core information: birthdate, ssn, update address, etc are correct. If they are wrong, nothing will get processed. For me, that had to be corrected first.

Then you complete the Intake Packet. They will do an initial assessment using the information on the Intake form with an phone discussion. Be as sweet as pie, to the intake processor.

For both the Intake processor, and later during any conversation with the Application Reviewer:
- MetLife only needs 2 ADLs: so if the Assisted Living is holding /handling out the medications, that's one. If she is bathing herself, but someone is nearby because a fear of falling, that is bathing assistance. Need any help dressing, however little? that's another. Say things like "She would die if I told you that I had to get her Depends because she would never make it to the potty" - that incontinence, that's three. If your mom has not cooked since she is in the Assisted Living facility, another ADL. And to be honest, while dementia should qualify on its own, I said she needed help with everything: prompting to brush teeth, combing hair, finances - neurologist said she should not handle finances, etc. I was told by a friend to share any in-appropriate behaviors: undressing in public, laughing when someone tells them they have cancer, etc. Remember, you are reporting what the worst day is like, not the best.

If you know her base information is correct, then you can fax in the Intake form. (Obviously if the Intake form doesn't match the birthdate, ssn, there would be problem - that's why these have to be right up front.) If you mail it, it does not get in the electronic system. The fax goes in an electronic fax system. After you fax the Intake form, you can call you Intake person after 30 minutes, and before 2 hours, and they should be able to find it in the electronic fax queue if it has not yet been routed and attached to your Intake profile.

Once you get a completed Intake number, they will give you a DIFFERENT number for the actual Application. And You will get a different person will be reviewing the Application.
- Do not rush the application: you want everything submitted at the same time: think of the poor person who has to review this claim. Make their life easy: have all doctors submission, all hospital notices, all neurology reports, all MRI reports, copies of the POA, copies of the HIPAA forms, the confirmation of 24 hour nurse at the assisted living facility, etc. (I think I faxed 187 pages in one fax submission) My fax cover page had the new Application number (not the prior Intake number) - and I had a Table of Contents (for the entire fax) on the front page - and the Cover page stated that I required them to send me email when they received the fax - otherwise, I would send it again and again. i only sent it twice - the same day, and they did email me. I think a written letter came later in the mail.

It sounds like things have been mailed in pieces: gather up everything again, and send one big fax so everything is in one place.

Overall from the time the Application fax chunk was sent (and acknowledged), it then took 88 or 89 days for the actual approval. I called the Application reviewer from time to time - once a month maybe? - to ask if they needed anything, was there anything I could get them, etc. Pointed to where they could find certain information in the faxed packet.

I actually got a call from the Application Reviewer to let me know that "her claim" was approved, and wanted to know if I wanted to go back even further from the date of her last hospitalization release.

Once approved, MetLife issued another ID # - the Claim Recipient ID that had to be on every claim submitted. They reimbursed premiums from the initial "start" date, there was a 90 wait period before benefits, but they paid all time after that (had to submit detailed invoices for the 90 wait period as well), and also asked me to send them invoices for "medical equipment" for up to $500. (I think my Intake person person had warned me so I started to collect them - the Lift recliner, the Side Bed Assist, the Shower Chair for a Tall Person, etc - send all those invoice/bills for the $500 at one time as you only get one take at this reimbursement.)

I have to say that once you get through this, once we got 2 or 3 invoices paid, all future claims were paid like clockwork - her CCRC sent the monthly invoice around 1st-3rd and mom would get her benefit direct deposited around 10th - 15th - and then a EOB-type form re: the amount deposited.

Wow, thank you for taking the time to explain this. I imagine it will be helpful to many.

Thanks for your enlightening post.

Here is hoping you continue to participate. You obviously have much to contribute. I'd like to think that we here also have much to contribute.

You are so welcome here!

As someone who is just starting to research long-term care insurance for myself, I've found a lot of useful information in this thread.

Rather than start another thread for 1 question, I thought I'd ask it here.
The thought/question popped into my head an hour or two ago when I grabbed my HSA card to pick up a prescription at Walgreens.

"Could I use my HSA to make long-term care insurance payments ?

I was pleasantly surprised to see that you can.
An HSA is a valuable tool tied to a high deductible health insurance plan that can help pay for qualified health care expenses. You get a tax deduction on your contributions and your benefits grow tax-deferred. Plus, the distributions are tax-free if used for medical expenses. That’s a triple threat! Since long-term care insurance premiums are considered a medical expense, you can use your HSA to pay your premiums.

https://www.steadfastagents.com/how...-term care insurance,premiums, but not an FSA.

Has anyone here done so ? Any positives/negatives ?

Yes. I used to pay out of pocket for our LTCi premiums, intending to later reimburse myself from our HSAs as they grew from equity investments. Around 6 years ago, I decided to pay our monthly LTCi premiums from HSA funds. This was designed to reduce my reimbursement paperwork and downsize the overall reimbursement levels to be paid to us from our HSA for eligible medical expenses we paid out of pocket.

We pay $349 monthly in LTCi premiums. The LTCi is paid by an ACH pull from the insurer to the HSA checking account. The glitch occurs when you change HSA custodians; during the transition of changing HSA checking accounts/custodians, you generally have to step in and pay out of pocket. I guess you can bill pay from an HSA if the custodian permits that; Fidelity permits bill pay.

Probably TMI but hope this helps.

Yes. I used to pay out of pocket for our LTCi premiums, intending to later reimburse myself from our HSAs as they grew from equity investments. Around 6 years ago, I decided to pay our monthly LTCi premiums from HSA funds. This was designed to reduce my reimbursement paperwork and downsize the overall reimbursement levels to be paid to us from our HSA for eligible medical expenses we paid out of pocket.

We pay $349 monthly in LTCi premiums. The LTCi is paid by an ACH pull from the insurer to the HSA checking account. The glitch occurs when you change HSA custodians; during the transition of changing HSA checking accounts/custodians, you generally have to step in and pay out of pocket. I guess you can bill pay from an HSA if the custodian permits that; Fidelity permits bill pay.

Probably TMI but hope this helps.

The HSA is at Fidelity so it looks like it would work for me.
Thanks for the reply.

OP here with an update--here I am 3 months later, having spent hundreds of hours trying to get mother's LTC insurance to pay and still no payments. I have contacted the Dept of Insurance, hired a long term care consultant expert and an attorney who specializes in LTC insurance and still no payment. Mother's claim was denied because allegedly she did not meet the terms of the policy even though she is 91, has had numerous falls, has been diagnosed with Alzheimer by a neurologist whose report says that it is unsafe for her to live on her own and that she cannot do 3 out the 5 activities of daily living (she needs help bathing, dressing and going to the bathroom). The policy states it will pay if she cannot do 2 activities of daily living and she clearly meets that requirement. So far she has been in independent living with daily caregivers but the CCRC recommends that she needs to move the memory care which will cost about $12,000 per month. The insurance policy would not pay for all of that but it would pay for a big portion. She has assets to pay for a while but the insurance should be paying. She has had this policy since 1987 and has paid in over $100,000 in premiums. What a rip off! Long term care insurance it worthless! The consultant says this is typical --the insurance companies deny, deny, deny hoping the insured with die before they have to pay a penny. I am stressed and depressed about all this and don't know what else to do. The lawyer says we could take them to court but no guarantees and it will be costly. I have appealed the original determination but have heard nothing.

I am so sorry you are continuing to have problems with this. It must be so stressful for you.

Have you tried also contacting your local congressional representatives and senators? Sometimes they will step in.

I am so sorry you are continuing to have problems with this. It must be so stressful for you.

Have you tried also contacting your local congressional representatives and senators? Sometimes they will step in.

No have not done that yet, will give it a try

OP here with an update--here I am 3 months later, having spent hundreds of hours trying to get mother's LTC insurance to pay and still no payments. I have contacted the Dept of Insurance, hired a long term care consultant expert and an attorney who specializes in LTC insurance and still no payment. Mother's claim was denied because allegedly she did not meet the terms of the policy even though she is 91, has had numerous falls, has been diagnosed with Alzheimer by a neurologist whose report says that it is unsafe for her to live on her own and that she cannot do 3 out the 5 activities of daily living (she needs help bathing, dressing and going to the bathroom). The policy states it will pay if she cannot do 2 activities of daily living and she clearly meets that requirement. So far she has been in independent living with daily caregivers but the CCRC recommends that she needs to move the memory care which will cost about $12,000 per month. The insurance policy would not pay for all of that but it would pay for a big portion. She has assets to pay for a while but the insurance should be paying. She has had this policy since 1987 and has paid in over $100,000 in premiums. What a rip off! Long term care insurance it worthless! The consultant says this is typical --the insurance companies deny, deny, deny hoping the insured with die before they have to pay a penny. I am stressed and depressed about all this and don't know what else to do. The lawyer says we could take them to court but no guarantees and it will be costly. I have appealed the original determination but have heard nothing.

This is terrible.
The insurance company is still on the hook for past payments even if a person dies, but of course it's harder to prove and the desire to fight wanes. Something the insurance company counts upon.

I wish you good luck and success.

who is the insurance company?

In harllee's original post, she indicated this:

"The policy is with MetLife (was with Prudential but MetLife took the policy over many years ago)."

That’s really awful Harlee!! A few of my friends that are close to 80 are cashing their policies out because the rates are going up so much. So I guess the question is which option is cheaper for her out of pocket at this point to decide if she stays where she is or goes to memory care.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom