Mtb'ers

If I ever had a peeve about technology, this is it. I too, like to ride and enjoy my surroundings, but in our Florida Community, a one mile circle, it's just for exercise, and it helps me to listen to NPR or books on tape to pass the time. Since it's dangerous use headphones and blocking the sounds of vehicles or danger, a single earphone solves the problem, after all, the first 15 years of my life were BS...
(before stereo).

So here are the problems... #1, my MP3 player has a built in radio, but it needs the earphone cord (as an antenna) to receive a signal. That means a wire from the player to my ear... a damnable nuisance while riding.

Now, I still have my walkman radio/tape player, which works without an antenna, but that still needs a wire to the earphone. (hanging down and getting in the way, or across the back, which inevitably pulls the earphone out of my ear.

The solution, of course is a bluetooth single wired-wrapabound earphone that stays on the ear, with no connection to the player/radio/tape device on the belt.

It seems to me that this is an absolute no-brainer... not just for bikers, but for anyone who exercises or works in a profession that is more or less "rote"... as construction people or those who are in repetitive type jobs.

And yes... for about four or five times the cost of the actual technology, there are some offerings of bluetooth players that couple with headphones. There are also a few wierdly shaped plug in blue tooth transmitters of various sizes, that plug in to the earphone jacks of players or radios... again, with few exceptions, outrageously priced for the technology involved, and adding extra wires and bulk to the system.

Seems to me that this is an untapped niche for someone who can see a need, and satisfy it. I mean really... woudn't you be willing to spring $25 for a unit that would clip to your belt, with an earphone that allowed the freedom to bike or exercise and enjoy your favorite sounds without that doggone wire?

EOR (end of rant)

I like listening to NPR on walks as well.

Amazon has a few listings for wireless earbuds.

Here's one:

http://www.amazon.com/Wireless-Bluetooth-Earbuds-Headphones-Microphone/dp/B007LOLVLU

Works with Bluetooth enabled devices, wouldn't work with older portable radios.

I've never worn earphones for any reason and usually like to be able to focus on whatever I am doing without splitting my attention, but, wore them this morning and have to say that I liked the result. I rode twice as long and had no problem with the wires or buds and got used to it quickly. My only complaints are that I had to stop and turn up the volume when Johnny Winter came on with "Mojo Boogie" and it was hard to get into slow, cool-down mode. Some rockin' Stones or such kept popping up. :dance: Finally a mellow Bob Marley came on and I felt like slowing down. Maybe I'll have to turn it off towards the end of my ride.

... Because I enjoy the 29er much more than the 26er (which feels like a dinky toy in comparison).

Couple of pics.. the 29er kitted out for touring and the 26er out on one of my usual trails...

Nice pics. I like your creek crossing! I haven't ridden my 26er since I got the 29. What a difference. Well, the 26 has no suspension so there's that. Probably use it on the paved bike trail nearby. Have to take a horse trail and cross a creek to get to it, but we have a sissy bridge.

Attachments

• cannondale_trail29er SL2.jpg
    cannondale_trail29er SL2.jpg
    538.4 KB · Views: 2
Back
Top Bottom