Muhammad Ali Fans

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ali vs Frazier tonight. Round 3: The Rivalry

I learned a lot watching the first 2 episodes. Fun both the boxing and history lessons of the times.

One thing I was not aware of was about the 11th hour before Ali was going to be sent to jail. That got called off not because a sudden change of heart for "right vs wrong" by the government but that Ali was heard on the tapes as the government was spying on MLK and Malcom X.

Also, I learned that Ali was treated like Brittany Spears under a conservatorship
by the Nation of Islam getting his every moved controlled.

Another thought too was how good (or bad) of a fighter was Floyd Patterson? He got peppered by Sonny Liston and again by Ali. I suppose Patterson must have good a good fighter at one time but didn't look that way.

Another thought too was how good (or bad) of a fighter was Floyd Patterson? He got peppered by Sonny Liston and again by Ali. I suppose Patterson must have good a good fighter at one time but didn't look that way.

It was probably more a case of how good Sonny Liston was. He was a heavy puncher like George Foreman.Also, while Ali beat him twice, Ali was not able to knock him out in either of their matches.

It was probably more a case of how good Sonny Liston was. He was a heavy puncher like George Foreman.Also, while Ali beat him twice, Ali was not able to knock him out in either of their matches.

What I thought was interesting was the uncertainty about the ending of the second Liston bout (and the leadup to it). One punch? Even if learned from Jack Johnson?

But I wouldn’t have any idea. I wouldn’t last one round with any of those guys.

I learned that Ali was in favor of racial segregation. And that he was cruel to some of his opponents.

I learned that Ali was in favor of racial segregation. And that he was cruel to some of his opponents.

I remember clearly the first Ali vs Frazier.

I was just a kid and didn't know who to cheer for.

Ali was more exciting but he boasted and boasted to the point of being cruel.

I remember huddled together listening to a bout on a transistor radio with some of my brothers.

I remember clearly the first Ali vs Frazier.

I was just a kid and didn't know who to cheer for.

Ali was more exciting but he boasted and boasted to the point of being cruel.

I remember huddled together listening to a bout on a transistor radio with some of my brothers.

Heh, heh, no one ever accused Ali of being perfect - certainly not humble. But during his prime Ali WAS the Greatest! YMMV

I like how in Ken Burns' documentaries he slips in a character then later on goes more in detail. Such was the case of slipping in the info of Joe Frazier one time meeting Ali and getting his autograph. Then only later to be rivals. The documentary did a good job showing Frazier's background as I don't recall ever seeing that much biographical info about him anywhere else.

Part 3 was excellent. Lost a step. Looking forward to tonight!

I missed Round 1 but watched Rounds 2 and 3 the last 2 nights. I began following pro boxing as a kid in the early 1970s so I was happy to see the backstory of the heavyweight title bouncing among the trio of Ali, Frazier, and Foreman (and what led to those big title fights in the late 1960s and 1970). I forgot how much younger Foreman was than the other 2 men.

I look forward to seeing tonight's Round.

KB still has his game on. What's next for him?

For anyone missing an episode, I'm betting it's rebroadcast soon. YMMV

Thanks DFW, Are you a Lockheed Martin type DFW'er ;-) Who knows, we might know each other !!!

One of my favorite Ali lines: "you better C Sharp or B flat". Also the wittiest of all time.

I remember staying up to listen to the first Ali - Frazier fight on the radio when I was a kid. It was not done live but after each round a broadcaster would give a blow by blow description of what had happened. He did an amazing job and it was almost like hearing it live . I was pulling hard for Joe. I liked how he carried himself and the way he was able to deflect the personal insults from Ali.

Prize fights were really a big deal back then.

Last edited:
I have similar memories of listening the the round by round accounts of the Rumble in the Jungle versus Foreman. I was so nervous about that fight. Amazed each round that Ali did not get knocked out.

Then something like this: "in Kinshasa Zaire, it is all over. Muhammad Ali has knocked out George Foreman in the 8th round..."

Was so shocked and happy. Remembering gives me chills.

No, I didn't see that.

This movie was mentioned in an earlier thread about Ali but not this one I think. It’s “When We Were Kings” and focuses on the Ali-Foreman fight. I noticed it and recorded it, watching it now. Very good!

This movie was mentioned in an earlier thread about Ali but not this one I think. It’s “When We Were Kings” and focuses on the Ali-Foreman fight. I noticed it and recorded it, watching it now. Very good!

"When We Were Kings" is a great movie/documentary.

From what I've read, I believe initial plan was to cover a James Brown concert, then then that evolved to the Ali-Foreman fight instead.

Yes it's fantasic. Academy award winning documentary.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom