My moms portfolio

It sounds like you’re getting great advice here. I also had my 401k with Voya and was pleased with the funds and low expenses. My megacorp paid all administrative fees.
DW and I have Fixed Retirement annuities with USAA and haven’t paid a penny in fees. However, it’s probably not a good choice for your mother with a smaller nest egg.
My Fixed Retirement annuity has the following properties:
Interest rate is locked in at the time of deposit.
It started with a 3% bonus on any first year deposits.
Ten percent can be withdrawn each year without penalty.
There was a penalty for withdrawing more than ten percent for the first seven years. (We considered deposits like a CD and didn’t touch them).
Interest is tax deferred.
Withdrawals are always interest first and taxed as such.
You can withdraw as much as you want after seven years free of penalty.
The funds are backed by the strength of the company, so make sure they are rated highly and financially strong.

The penalty for early withdrawals might hurt your mother, so I don’t think it’s a good idea for her. This type of annuity has been great for us. We recently had PenFed CDs mature and were able to deposit the money into our annuities locking in 3%. Beginning in November we can withdraw as much as we want without penalty. So we’re not locked into a CD term of several years to get this rate. We do have other CDs and equities. These annuities are about eight percent of our net worth. So it’s a great part of our plan, keeps our taxes down for now, and is secure with a highly rated company. It was a good choice for us. But I would never buy any other kind of annuity.
ETA: We’ve designated beneficiaries for any funds remaining after our death. The insurance company doesn’t keep it.

Last edited:
A quick update. I reviewed my mom's portfolio and I have to say it's not as bad as I thought it might be. The Voya funds are OK compared to Vanguard, and the fees are quite low. She currently has a 70/30 split between stocks and bonds. I reviewed the funds she has, and I believe I will only have her move money out of one (maybe two) of them. She is earning about 8.5% ROI over the past 10 years.

I've talked her out of moving her funds to the bank and to just stay put for now. I plan on sitting down with her to review a game plan for her funds that I would like to move to other Voya funds.

Just curious. For the members that are retired, what kind of mix do you have? I was thinking of trying to get her around 60/40 (stocks / bonds), or 65/35.

While success rates are relatively unaffected by AA from roughly 55/45 to 70/30... 70/30 is aggressive for my taste.

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    58.2 KB · Views: 25
We’re 63 and have about a 50/35/15 portfolio, with the 15 being real estate. I think 70% stocks is a bit high.

A quick update. I reviewed my mom's portfolio and I have to say it's not as bad as I thought it might be. The Voya funds are OK compared to Vanguard, and the fees are quite low. She currently has a 70/30 split between stocks and bonds. I reviewed the funds she has, and I believe I will only have her move money out of one (maybe two) of them. She is earning about 8.5% ROI over the past 10 years.

I've talked her out of moving her funds to the bank and to just stay put for now. I plan on sitting down with her to review a game plan for her funds that I would like to move to other Voya funds.

Just curious. For the members that are retired, what kind of mix do you have? I was thinking of trying to get her around 60/40 (stocks / bonds), or 65/35.
I'm not surprised Voya is acceptable to you and mom.

Asset allocation starts here:
https://personal.vanguard.com/us/insights/saving-investing/model-portfolio-allocations?lang=en

I had a good visit with my mom over the weekend. I went over her portfolio with her and recommended moving some $$ from underperforming stock funds to a target retirement fund. The goal is to get her to around 50-55% stock funds, instead of the 70% where she currently is at.

Also, I gave her a homework assignment to track her spending. I want her to have a 2-3 years worth of expenses that she has easy access to and very little risk to it. She has some $$ set aside for this (maybe a years worth of expenses), so I feel we will have to move some funds out of her portfolio to achieve this. I'll have to see how this would impact her taxes if I do this, though.

All in all, it was a good visit. I could tell she felt a lot better after I was done and she understood why I made the decisions I made for her.

I had a good visit with my mom over the weekend. I went over her portfolio with her and recommended moving some $$ from underperforming stock funds to a target retirement fund. The goal is to get her to around 50-55% stock funds, instead of the 70% where she currently is at.

Also, I gave her a homework assignment to track her spending. I want her to have a 2-3 years worth of expenses that she has easy access to and very little risk to it. She has some $$ set aside for this (maybe a years worth of expenses), so I feel we will have to move some funds out of her portfolio to achieve this. I'll have to see how this would impact her taxes if I do this, though.

All in all, it was a good visit. I could tell she felt a lot better after I was done and she understood why I made the decisions I made for her.
Good job! My mom trusted her Oppenh__mer advisor and really felt that the advisor had done well by her, and had her best interest at heart. My mom owned all front-load, high expense ratio funds, and an annuity, all sold and maintained by one advisor. She liked to be able to talk to the advisor on the phone and never had to make any decisions herself. Probably cost her 50%+ over 60 years, though. :facepalm:

This year, I finally got my father to switch to VG, rather than paying the same fees my mom had been paying. :dance:

Back
Top Bottom