My recent 6-week road trip through Europe.

I often read online about families of 5 or 7 people traveling together. I cannot imagine the pressure one of them will have herding them together to get to the next destination.

I would like to travel with friends. But it'd be nice to meet them in another city at a specific place a day or two later. Too much togetherness is not always best as so many of us oldsters are a little set in our ways.

We finally sat down and did an accounting of the trip. The cost came out to be around $300/day for 2 couples, everything inclusive except for airfare.

When divided by 2, it became very cheap as I expected. Sharing a larger Airbnb with 2 bedrooms and a larger car does not double up the cost compared to smaller lodgings and a smaller rental car, so a lot of savings was realized that way.

The above said, we will not be traveling with other people again, even with relatives. People's tastes and preferences differ, and when they are stuck together because of the common transportation it will cause some conflicts.

Some more details on the cost will follow.

Great, but it's not a Juicy as the details on the conflicts.... :LOL::LOL:

No, it was not that big a deal. Basically, we did not always agree on how, when, and where to eat out. I liked to spend more money but they did not, being more frugal. Every morning, we were set to go and they were still dragging their feet, being very slow in the preparation. We simply did not know how they could cope with the guided tours that required them to be prompt and to keep up with the group.

Other than the above, it went OK. They did not know about places to go, so let me set the itinerary and do all the planning. So, I acted like a tour guide, and they were used to that, having taken so many guided tours before.

Last edited:
People may be most curious about the cost of driving a rental car. We had 41 days of lodging on this trip, but kept the car for 36 days. At the end of the trip, we had 5 nights in Paris, and returned the car before that. I drove in Europe before, but never for an entire trip this long.

The costs associated with driving were: $1600 for the lease, $623 for gas, $400 for toll, and $140 for parking. The total of $2763 works out to be $77/day.

I think the above is fairly cheap for 4 persons. If we were by ourselves, we would save a bit on the lease, just a little bit on the gas, and nothing on the toll and parking fees. Depending on what one wants to go and see, it may be less expensive to travel by train. Again, we had traveled by train before, and a car allowed us to change the modus operandi significantly.

For example, if you want to visit Civita (described in earlier posts) from Rome, there is a company that will take 8 people on a van for $1000 ($125/pp). They will also take you to see nearby Orvieto, and a vineyard. In this trip, we spent 2 nights near Civita, and had more time to linger and got to spend more time at each hill town. And then, on the way to Siena, we got another entire day to visit Montepulciano and Pienza as these towns were on the way. These were almost freebies.

Last edited:
I drove nearly 5,800 km in this trip, which was a lot compared to other drivers when I asked the guy at the agency when I returned the car. Divided by 36 days, that works out to 160 km/day, or 100 mi/day.

Actually, the driving was bundled in a few transit days when I drove 300-400 km or more. Then, there were many days when I parked the car and we took the tram. There were also many days when the Airbnb was right inside town, and all we had to do was walking down to the street to see all the activity. Of course in the countryside, I had to drive from town to town for sightseeing.

While it is no big deal to drive more than 400 mi/day (640 km) in the US, it would be too tough for me to drive this much in Europe. At least in the parts I traveled through, the highways often led into towns, and going through town slowed me down significantly, and I often got lost even with GPS and digital map software. I don't think I ever drove more than 400 km (250 mi) in a day, and man that was tiring.

Last edited:
My wife did not keep records of the liters of gas that we burned, but using an average price of 1.5 euro/liter, I computed an mpg of 35 over the entire trip. That is quite reasonable, considering that when on the highways, I had to maintain speed above 80 mph to keep up with traffic, and the car was a decent-sized one to haul 4 people with luggage.

One thing I have to say about European highways, toll and public, is that they are good and mostly smooth as silk. The best freeways in the US will match that, but many quite often fall short. I remember once a European poster complained about the roads here in the US, and I now understand.

We finally sat down and did an accounting of the trip. The cost came out to be around $300/day for 2 couples, everything inclusive except for airfare.

Apples & Avocados I know, but we ran up the costs for our just completed 47 day trip, (Stupefyingly boring travel slideshow(s) Part II), which includes all air fares, medical insurance, and transportation to Toronto Airport and back from our town.

Rounds out to $10,200 Canadian total for two, approx $7,890 US...(no cars, no restaurant meals.

Good thing I don't keep track of any of my trip expense or I might not go again. Ignorance is bliss in my case.

Apples & Avocados I know, but we ran up the costs for our just completed 47 day trip, (Stupefyingly boring travel slideshow(s) Part II), which includes all air fares, medical insurance, and transportation to Toronto Airport and back from our town.

Rounds out to $10,200 Canadian total for two, approx $7,890 US...(no cars, no restaurant meals.

That is very low, $170 US per day. The secret? I would be happy at 2x that amount (with restaurant meals, flight from SFO).

Restaurant meals and hotel rates will drive up the cost, for sure. Just do Airbnb, buy some provisions to make egg/ham breakfasts before you head out each day, and your trip cost will go down. I like it because it's more convenient too.

I never have a budget for any trip, although in my mind I certainly have an expected value that I do not think I will exceed. In this case, I did not have a good handle on what the trip might cost, and was thinking perhaps it might be $250/day. It turned out to be much lower than that, due to the cost sharing of the Airbnb and the car. I was ready to go even if the other couple did not join us. I chose the 6-week duration mainly because I thought that was about the limit of a trip before we would miss home, and it turned out to be about right.

Planning for the trip was fun. I had 6 months from the time I bought the air tickets late last year when I happened to see an airfare sale. I had a lot of time to plan the itinerary, to research where to stay and what towns to which I could drive for day trips.

It was not that I had a rigid plan. Other than where to stay, and all those Airbnb's and hotel rooms were pre-booked, there was a lot that was left to decisions made on the field. For example, I did not know about Pienza until someone mentioned it on this forum and Pienza was more convenient on the way. I initially wanted to go to Assissi which is a better known hill town, but was tired of driving. I had planned to go to Dusseldorf for a day trip while in Cologne, but abandoned that for the same reason.

On the other hand, while in front of Cologne Cathedral we talked with a very nice and friendly German who drove from Aachen to shop. Hearing that we were headed to Brussels, he told us we had to stop by Aachen to see the beautiful church there. We looked that up on the Web, and the church in Aachen has quite a history, being built by Charlemagne in the 800's, and the coronation site of many German kings and queens. It was a worthwhile stop on our drive the next day, and indeed the church interior was beautiful for something that was built in the Dark Ages. Perhaps it was not originally like that.

And continuing west to Brussels, we crossed the southern tip of the Netherlands, and looking at the map my travel companion said that Maastricht rang a bell. Surely, Wikipedia said that

Maastricht has 1677 national heritage sites (Rijksmonumenten), which is the second highest number in a Dutch town, after Amsterdam. It has become known, by way of the Maastricht Treaty, as the birthplace of the European Union, European citizenship, and the single European currency, the euro.​

So, we had to make a stop. See photo of the town center. We did not have a whole lot of time, but spending a few hours in this town was a freebie anyway.

Last edited:
I forgot an obvious thing when one calculates the travel cost per day. Airfare amortized over a long stay like Nemo did (47 days) would be much less than it would be for someone who does the usual 2-week trip.

A cheap airfare of $1000 for 2 persons adds $77/day to a 13-night stay, while it is only $22 for a 46-night stay. Hence, I excluded airfare in order to see the difference between driving and taking trains, and Airbnb (and eating out less) vs. hotel rooms.

I am glad that at least 2 readers liked the photos. :)

However, be careful as I just counted the number of photos taken on this trip. We had 3 cameras among us (the female traveler other than my wife used her iPhone, and I have not seen any photo taken by her), and together we took 11,000 photos.

That works out to 11,000 / 3 persons / 41 days = 89 photos per person per day. We were out and about 10 hours /day, so that's roughly 1 photo every 7 minutes. Of course the average number is misleading, because when we saw something that we liked, we took several shots in a quick succession, and there were a lot of duplicates.

Before posting more, I need to look through them to find good ones to go with tall-tale stories I am going to tell. :)

Last edited:
Well if you have a full-frame DSLR and take RAW files, each RAW file is about 25 MB.

I have a lot of drives ...

My wife and I used pocket cameras, and they stored in JPG format. I was never interested in a DSLR, because of its bulk and I am not a serious photographer.

My traveling companion used a DSLR, but he converted to JPG before giving me the files. He left some in RAW format, and I took one example and zoomed in to compare the RAW against the JPG. Did not see that the RAW was any better. They were slightly different though.

This is all extremely helpful and also encouraging for those of us who want to do travel the way you just did, NW-Bound. I especially like the two easy tips: Use Airbnb and eat breakfast in.

What do you reckon your per-couple per-day cost would have been, all-inclusive except to exclude airfare and pro forma for one couple not two? In other words, how much per day on the ground in Europe had you and your spouse done this alone?

My wife and I used pocket cameras, and they stored in JPG format. I was never interested in a DSLR, because of its bulk and I am not a serious photographer.

My traveling companion used a DSLR, but he converted to JPG before giving me the files. He left some in RAW format, and I took one example and zoomed in to compare the RAW against the JPG. Did not see that the RAW was any better. They were slightly different though.
I will also enjoy your uploads, as they come in. Will be interesting to see what common places we have visited.

This is all extremely helpful and also encouraging for those of us who want to do travel the way you just did, NW-Bound. I especially like the two easy tips: Use Airbnb and eat breakfast in.

What do you reckon your per-couple per-day cost would have been, all-inclusive except to exclude airfare and pro forma for one couple not two? In other words, how much per day on the ground in Europe had you and your spouse done this alone?

You can do more than just breakfast. :) We did eat dinner in by making something simple, or buying ready-to-eat meals and bringing it back.

All 4 of us like Airbnb a lot for several reasons.

European apartments are small by US standards, but people do live full-time in them. We get a dining table to sit down to eat dinner, whether we cook or buy ready-to-eat. We can make breakfast, or at least coffee in the morning. We have a fridge to keep cold drinks. Ah, all that Aperol Spritz and beer that I knocked down after a day of walking. In the US, we also have been spoiled by staying in rented timeshares. In order to have the same amenities in a hotel, it will cost a lot more money than what we typically spend at a Marriott or Westin.

Their locations are inside residential areas, and I like to see how the locals live. Walking around the neighborhood in a suburb or a rural village is great. It's something you do not see if you stay in hotels in larger towns or cities.

And next time, we will pack even lighter. Nearly all Airbnb's have a washer. Dryers are not common due to the high electric cost. Only one upscale one in Brussels had a dryer. So, we had to hang clothes to dry, and many had drying racks for guests.

I will answer your question in the next post.

Their locations are inside residential areas, and I like to see how the locals live. Walking around the neighborhood in a suburb or a rural village is great. It's something you do not see if you stay in hotels in larger towns or cities.

+1 You stay at airbnb and the like and you see locals......you stay at hotels and you see (other) tourists.

...What do you reckon your per-couple per-day cost would have been, all-inclusive except to exclude airfare and pro forma for one couple not two? In other words, how much per day on the ground in Europe had you and your spouse done this alone?

Previously, I did not track closely how much a trip cost, and only knew to the nearest $1K. I looked at the CC statement afterwards, and if we spent about $5-6K for a 2-week trip, then that was about what I expected.

This time, as mentioned, I was surprised to see how cheap it was. Surely, the exchange rate is now US$1.12 to a euro, and we had traveled when it was almost $1.50! Also this time, I did a more accurate accounting in order for my traveling companions to share the cost. Before the trip, I had told them that to keep it simple I would pay for all common expenses incurred during the trip, including all meals that we had together. So, my wife had to collect all receipts, and we sat down to figure out afterwards, then divided it by 2.

Knowing what I know now, I think that we can repeat a similar trip by ourselves, and it will cost no more than $200/day. The estimate is based on renting a smaller car and staying in 1BR apartments.

Car expenses/day: $30 rental + $30 for gas/toll/parking
Airbnb lodging expense: $80/day

The car rental cost is for a smaller car for 2, with all insurances and no deductibles. You can save a bit of money with a car with stickshift. My first car when I was 19 was a stickshift, but in unknown cities with crowded streets I prefer to have all my attention devoted to other cars, pedestrians, and street signs. In addition, my wife cannot drive a stickshift and I want her to be able to help if I get sick.

The Airbnb expense of $80/day assumes that you stay mostly in the countryside (the reason to have a car!), and not in the cities. Look at Airbnb's in Paris and London to see what they cost, vs. Airbnb's in small towns in Provence, Tuscany, or Umbria. In this trip, we alternated between small towns and large ones, although in the latter case we stayed mostly in the suburb in order to have a parking space. The gas/toll/parking is from my recent trip, and it will be lower for someone who drives less.

That adds up to $140, and leaves you with $60/day for admissions, groceries, bars, and restaurants.

Regarding admissions, I was surprised to see that we spent only $175/pp on this trip, and that already included the 72-euro ($81) Firenze card. More on this later.

Restaurant expenses are the wild card, but we are not the type to eat a heavy dinner every night. Most of our dining places are also the common trattorias or bistros frequented by the locals. We had some memorable dinners that way.

One can have a run-of-the-mill 3-course dinner with a glass of wine for $30-40 per person, or just pizza and beer for $15/pp. However, we can be picky about the food, and if we cannot find one that serves something special that we like to sample, we go back to the Airbnb and make simple meals ourselves. I saw quite a few restaurants that charge 50 euros/pp for a 3-course dinner, whose main plate was steak tartare. I am not going to pay that much for them to not cook!

Last edited:
This is extremely helpful detail. You could write a book about it and get it published. Think of yourself as a version of Rick Steves: traveling Europe among the people of Europe, with cost details and frugal travel recommendations. I've even got a brand name for you: The Frugal Traveler. Don't know whether it's already copyrighted.

And next time, we will pack even lighter. Nearly all Airbnb's have a washer. Dryers are not common due to the high electric cost. Only one upscale one in Brussels had a dryer. So, we had to hang clothes to dry, and many had drying racks for guests.

YMMV of course but we've been surprised how many of our Airbnb's here in Europe have had dryers. Usually they are "hidden" as part of the washer - there's a separate setting for drying, and wowzers are these controls confusing with their weird symbols. We aren't staying in particularly upscale places (average cost is around $80/night). Mostly 2-3 BR places near the tourist center but not always right in it.

But if no dryer, there has always been some form of fold out drying rack. Or in one case, in our apartment in Milan, Italy, I think Leonardo da Vinci invented the drying rack that drops a series of rods down from the ceiling and lets you hang clothes over the bathtub, then reel the rod back up to the ceiling using a system of pulleys.

We're traveling out of our bookbags only, so only have 3 changes of clothes (plus an extra pair of undies just in case :) ). No problem keeping clothes clean. However, we do have to think a day or two ahead since it takes an afternoon or overnight to dry (at least) and we can't throw a load in the washer and air dry on the evening before a next day early morning departure because they probably won't dry. After watching the poor saps hauling multiple pieces of heavy luggage up and down the bridges over the canals in Venice, I can confidently say we made the right choice to pack very light :)

This is extremely helpful detail. You could write a book about it and get it published. Think of yourself as a version of Rick Steves: traveling Europe among the people of Europe, with cost details and frugal travel recommendations. I've even got a brand name for you: The Frugal Traveler. Don't know whether it's already copyrighted.
Thank you, but I don't think we are among the frugalest. We have never backpacked, and those youngsters spend a lot less than we do.

Back
Top Bottom