NCAA College Football Playoffs

pb4uski

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
#1 Michigan vs #4 Alabama and #2 Washington v #4 Texas. All very deserving teams.

13-0 ACC champion Florida State and former #1 12-1 Georgia are probably pissed and understandably so.

I think we need to select 8 and then playdown to 4 and then 2. Too many good teams.

Hoping for a Alabama vs Texas at NRG in Houston for the National Championship.

+1 I'm rooting for Texas because we have family in Austin and will likely be relocating there and I'm rooting for Alabama because I'm not a Harbaugh fan (not a Saban fan either but lesser of two evils).

That said, Michigan looks really strong to me as does Texas. Haven't seen much of Washington.

Was anyone else other than me surprised that Georgia, two time defending chanpion and #1 ranked the whole season went from 1 to 5 because of one loss?

I thought Michigan, Washington, Florida State were in for sure with a tough decision between Ohio State and Alabama for the last spot. Texas was not top 5 IMO. Coaches poll got it right and in the right order IMO.

How about selecting 12 and playing down from there?

College Football Playoff Expands to 12 Teams Beginning in 2024

That just means teams 13 and 14 will be mad instead of teams 5 and 6.

Yeah, I wasn't aware of that. That's ok though I think 12 is overkill. I think it very unlikely that #9 or #13 would win 4 games in a row needed to in the whole thing, but in an 8 team playoff #5 could well win the 3 games needed to do so given the parity across the NCAA.

I thought Michigan, Washington, Florida State were in for sure with a tough decision between Ohio State and Alabama for the last spot. Texas was not top 5 IMO. Coaches poll got it right and in the right order IMO.

Not my opinion....

Texas beat Alabama by 10 IN Alabama... cannot ignore head to head...

Ohio State lost to Michigan 2 weeks ago... it was their playoff..

Georgia lost to Alabama this weekend... it was their playoff...

I am surprised about Florida State, but they have the rules that it is the 'best' 4 teams and right now Florida State is not one of the best 4... I think all of the teams mentioned in this post could beat Florida State now...

I cannot find it but IIRC TCU (or someone like them) did not make a playoff many years ago as they were not considered a top team...

BTW, I saw this a couple of weeks ago... Texas had the 5th strongest strength of schedule... the others were weaker...

Edit... looked at one site and they were 17th.... Alabama was 3rd.. Florida State 50th...

Last edited:
That just means teams 13 and 14 will be mad instead of teams 5 and 6.

Yeah, I know they will, but #s 5 and 6 this year have a legit claim to be in a championship game. #13 & #14 never do. Sure they could potentially win 4 games in a tournament but it would be a fluke.

And I don't get why Texas beating Alabama weighs so heavily, while their loss to Oklahoma is barely factored in. Of those top 6 teams, Texas has the worst loss, the only one to a team out of the top 10.

And I don't get why Texas beating Alabama weighs so heavily, while their loss to Oklahoma is barely factored in. Of those top 6 teams, Texas has the worst loss, the only one to a team out of the top 10.

That is the main reason I think Texas is the 7th place team, not 3rd.

Seems to me, FSU was robbed. I realize they didn't have a stellar win yesterday but they did win and it was with their 3rd string quarterback against a ranked team. FSU's starting quarterback will be back in action by the time the playoff games are scheduled.

In my opinion... 1, 2 & 3 go to Michigan, Washington and FSU (probably in that order but maybe not). Then #4 has to be decided. Who won their conference championships and are in the top 10 (prior to the games this weekend)? Alabama and Texas both with one loss. Of those two, who beat who. Well, isn't that interesting... Texas beat Alabama. So out goes Alabama, the #4 spot goes to Texas.

It doesn't seem that difficult to me. The "panel" got it wrong! I suspect money, i.e. number of viewers, had something to do with the decision. Do you think maybe ESPN had some conversations with panel members in the hallway or in the lavatory?

This process stinks! I can only hope it will be better in 2024.

+1 I'm rooting for Texas because we have family in Austin and will likely be relocating there and I'm rooting for Alabama because I'm not a Harbaugh fan (not a Saban fan either but lesser of two evils).

That said, Michigan looks really strong to me as does Texas. Haven't seen much of Washington.

Was anyone else other than me surprised that Georgia, two time defending chanpion and #1 ranked the whole season went from 1 to 5 because of one loss?

I caught that (bolded).....are you really moving to Texas? :confused:

Attachments

• IMG_3403.jpeg
    IMG_3403.jpeg
    91.3 KB · Views: 3
A mathematical process should be adopted to select the 4 teams.
Florida State was robbed -and say that having no horse in this race.

Seems to me, FSU was robbed. I realize they didn't have a stellar win yesterday but they did win and it was with their 3rd string quarterback against a ranked team. FSU's starting quarterback will be back in action by the time the playoff games are scheduled.

In my opinion... 1, 2 & 3 go to Michigan, Washington and FSU (probably in that order but maybe not). Then #4 has to be decided. Who won their conference championships and are in the top 10 (prior to the games this weekend)? Alabama and Texas both with one loss. Of those two, who beat who. Well, isn't that interesting... Texas beat Alabama. So out goes Alabama, the #4 spot goes to Texas.

It doesn't seem that difficult to me. The "panel" got it wrong! I suspect money, i.e. number of viewers, had something to do with the decision. Do you think maybe ESPN had some conversations with panel members in the hallway or in the lavatory?

This is what I said last night to my friend watching with me... I agree FS was robbed... and Texas gets the nod for 4th...

To go further in the analysis... Texas beat Alabama... Alabama beat Georgia... still Texas in the 4th spot..

But with your analysis... Ohio State did not win their conference... so they are out..

No Jordan Travis will not be back by post season. It was a compound fracture. - broken leg.

Whether fair or not, right now FSU is likely not one of the 4 best teams and Alabama will be a more entertaining and competitive team to watch.

Last edited:
A mathematical process should be adopted to select the 4 teams.
Florida State was robbed -and say that having no horse in this race.

The BCS system prior to this one had an element of mathematics. But it was abandoned for the current one. The committee method has worked pretty well but a perfect storm hit this year.

https://bcsknowhow.wordpress.com/bcs-formula/

I agree....FSU was screwed.

The BCS system prior to this one had an element of mathematics. But it was abandoned for the current one. The committee method has worked pretty well but a perfect storm hit this year.

https://bcsknowhow.wordpress.com/bcs-formula/

I agree....FSU was screwed.

How do you think including Fla State would have increased the entertainment value of the tournament and maximized revenue?

Back
Top Bottom