NCAA College Football Playoffs

Georgia would be favored over any of the 4 teams in the playoff.

The best WR in the country, Marvin Harrison Jr, opted out. Their starting QB transferred out. I bet tOSU rarely sees this. #2 QB got hurt. #3 QB was an untested freshman. Mizzou has a good enough team to shut them down

And Texas A&M can beat that.... the #1 and #2 QBs opted out... the #3 QB broke his arm on the first play... so had #4 out there... still played decent but no good WRs if he happened to get the ball to them...

I can provide a bit of perspective on NIL and the money in college football. I was involved with the NIL initiatives at Texas.

While I agree with many that NIL is really distorting the game, it's very important to understand that there has been a shadow, illegal funding scheme for years in college football. I've seen direct, specific evidence multiple times of Georgia, Alabama, Florida, Tennessee, Auburn and other programs illegally paying players. I saw what players received money and how much. This is how Georgia became good so quickly after hiring Smart.

What's unclear to me is the full extent of the cheating. There are viewpoints that Notre Dame, Michigan, Texas and some other schools were not engaging in organized large illegal payment schemes, while other schools were (the $100 handshakes are really unclear). It's difficult to verify that because it's all under the table.

For years, the SEC had a bit of a gentlemen's agreement on how much they would pay players and who they would and would not target. That agreement a few years ago got turned upside down when Texas A&M went out and paid exhorbitant rates for players and targeted players they weren't supposed to target. It's pretty obvious when you see that a school with no real history of winning or recent success suddenly secures the top rated recruiting class in history.

The SEC brethrens then went after A&M hard on the recruiting trail and it's stunted their progress a bit recently. Then came NIL.

I don't like NIL either. But I also don't want to go back to under the table payments being dominant success factor for colleages. ESPN and the media don't talk about it because it might hurt the industry financially. Kirk Herbstreit and all these other guys know what's going on, but they ignore it. It's tough to be a college football fan today. Same thing is happening in basketball. At least NIL brings it out into the open and eventually the dollars should dwarf the under the table money.

Strange take. There was no gentlemen's agreement post NIL. That players were paid under the table in the past and maybe even now by teams like Alabama,. LSU and Texas has been laid out by various former players.

Despite your background, you do not seem really on top of recruiting history either.

As a lifetime rabid fan of college football until recently, I'm starting to question the whole industry. Why do institutions of higher learning have professionalized sports? I can't come up with a rational explanation, other than it's been a gradual series of steps that's now gone too far.

Here's the mission statement of UT-Austin:

"The mission of The University of Texas at Austin is to achieve excellence in the interrelated areas of undergraduate education, graduate education, research and public service." (I'm not picking on Texas...most universities have very similar mission statements.)

Where does professionalized football come in? I'm not sure anymore. Coming from the ancient Greeks, physical education was considered part of an ideal university program. We've come a long way from PE being similar to art class, creating a well-rounded individual.

And Texas A&M can beat that.... the #1 and #2 QBs opted out... the #3 QB broke his arm on the first play... so had #4 out there... still played decent but no good WRs if he happened to get the ball to them...

No quarterbacks opted out. QB1 and QB2 were previously injured and unavailable.

No quarterbacks opted out. QB1 and QB2 were previously injured and unavailable.

Thanks for that.... I heard 32 players opted out so I just put them in that category...

+1 It makes the bowls totally useless jokes because in many cases they are not the same teams that earned the right to play in that bowl game.

If I were king I would defer the opening of the transfer portal and declaring that one is going to go into the NFL draft until after the national championship is decided and would impose consequences on players who refuse to play in their bowl games.

Ditto 100%. When the schools and the NCAA see that it is costing them revenue, the system will change. Until that happens, the song remains the same.

Last edited:
+1 It makes the bowls totally useless jokes because in many cases they are not the same teams that earned the right to play in that bowl game.

If I were king I would defer the opening of the transfer portal and declaring that one is going to go into the NFL draft until after the national championship is decided and would impose consequences on players who refuse to play in their bowl games.

Ditto 100%. When the schools and the NCAA see that it is costing them revenue, the system will change. Until that happens, the song remains the same.

A growing component of revenue for the schools and NCAA is TV revenue. Note that much of the movement of schools between conferences is driven by TV deals and either (a) a school getting a larger cut by moving to a conference, or (b) a conference getting a better TV deal because of the schools in the conference. That is also the driver behind the playoff expansion. My bet is you will not see any lack of revenue as long as the media is willing to pay - and that boils down to people, as much as they complain, are still going to want to watch their alma mater compete and be competitive :).

A growing component of revenue for the schools and NCAA is TV revenue. Note that much of the movement of schools between conferences is driven by TV deals and either (a) a school getting a larger cut by moving to a conference, or (b) a conference getting a better TV deal because of the schools in the conference. That is also the driver behind the playoff expansion. My bet is you will not see any lack of revenue as long as the media is willing to pay - and that boils down to people, as much as they complain, are still going to want to watch their alma mater compete and be competitive :).

I read somewhere that Ohio State couldn't sell but about one third of their allotted tickets for the bowl game this year. The new system is alienating fan bases, who are the source of the revenue.

I read somewhere that Ohio State couldn't sell but about one third of their allotted tickets for the bowl game this year. The new system is alienating fan bases, who are the source of the revenue.

Yep. I'm getting pretty close to giving up on college football. I know others that feel the same way but that may be more prevalent with the older crowd.

Would anyone actually miss all the bowl games? I don't think so. Most of them mean absolutely nothing. The world has moved on from college bowl games. The players have moved on from college bowls games. Put a fork in them they are done for all intents and purposes.

Does anyone, anywhere blame a player with some NFL prospects saying "thanks but no thanks"? Would I tune in to watch the top four playoff, yes I would but I made the decision a long time ago to never give ESPN any of my money.

Yep. I'm getting pretty close to giving up on college football. I know others that feel the same way but that may be more prevalent with the older crowd.

+1 I am normally watch a lot of bowl games, but this year I'll probably only watch the Sugar Bowl because Texas is in it and will probably watch the national chamionship game. Much less than my normal intake but I prefer games that are competitive and close.

Last edited:
...Does anyone, anywhere blame a player with some NFL prospects saying "thanks but no thanks"?...

Yes, I do. Your school gave the NFL prospect a lot along the way, plenty to expect the player to play in a bowl game if the team earns a bowl berth.

Last edited:
Yes, I do. Your school gave the NFL prospect a lot along the way, plenty to expect the player to play in a bowl game if the team earns a bowl berth.

I agree. However, I don’t think it would matter in terms of the interest in watching bowl games that aren’t associated with the playoffs.

Yes, I do. Your school gave the NFL prospect a lot along the way, plenty to expect the player to play in a bowl gaim if the team earns a bowl berth.

I can see your point..yet this is an extra game that the school plays for money. One might argue that a senior has given the school plenty of time and plenty of games in return for support. One bad injury in a bowl game could greatly change a players life.

One might also argue that the schools throwing money around have put the focus on money not the school experience itself.

I agree. However, I don’t think it would matter in terms of the interest in watching bowl games that aren’t associated with the playoffs.

I presume that it would make the bowl games more competitive, therefore more interesting to watch so more people would watch them.

Playoffs didn't ruin the bowl games. Even in the days before the BCS or the bowl coalition, there were few teams that had a shot at #1. The other teams were playing in the same "meaningless" bowls. There are just more of them now.

And having multiple teams claiming the top spot after the bowls were playing wasn't a better system in any way, shape or form. Championships should be decided on the field, not by the votes of media people and coaches.

It's unfortunately this year that Georgia is not in the playoffs, but if you lose a game run the risk of being left out. The expanded field next year will make sure that no time with a legit right to play for the championship is left out. #13 will bitch and moan but they won't have that claim that they deserved a shot to prove they are they best.

And Mizzou sold out their allotment in less than 2 hours:D

I can see your point..yet this is an extra game that the school plays for money. One might argue that a senior has given the school plenty of time and plenty of games in return for support. One bad injury in a bowl game could greatly change a players life.

One might also argue that the schools throwing money around have put the focus on money not the school experience itself.

I think the transfer portal has gotten rid of the school experience.... heck, most probably do not even go to class...

I saw a good number of players who are now SEVEN year players... and have transferred a number of times... with NIL it is a job that probably pays more than they can get otherwise..

Would anyone actually miss all the bowl games? I don't think so. Most of them mean absolutely nothing. The world has moved on from college bowl games. The players have moved on from college bowls games. Put a fork in them they are done for all intents and purposes.

Does anyone, anywhere blame a player with some NFL prospects saying "thanks but no thanks"? Would I tune in to watch the top four playoff, yes I would but I made the decision a long time ago to never give ESPN any of my money.

The schools make LOTS of $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$!

Mike

Watching the CFP on “Skycast”, ESPN News station. It’s like being at the game only with a better view. No annoying announcers, other than the stadium guy, who gives the vitals - down, distance, who carried ball, etc. You get to hear the bands and much better crowd noise. Love it!

Go Blue!

Last edited:
Interesting Semis.

I didn't think Michigan was good enough to hold up to a Bama team that got better as the year went on. Wasn't sure about the Huskies, and maybe UT was better all along than I thought.

A classic Rose Bowl matchup should make for an interesting final, and I ain't picking. Would not have predicted that 5 years ago with the recent dominance of the SEC.

I wouldn't be surprised! :)

Mike

Attachments

• CFB_selection.PNG
    CFB_selection.PNG
    461.9 KB · Views: 2
Back
Top Bottom