Need feedback on this

Well, I guess I am rude too. I walk for an hour every day in our 55 and older community. I keep a fairly brisk pace so its obvious to anyone seeing me that I am not just taking a casual stroll. I wave and/or say "hi" and just keep moving. I've never had anyone try to stop me to chat. In the evenings, after dinner, I do take a leisurely stroll with my wife. If she wants to stop and chat during these that is fine with me, 'cause I've already gotten my exercise in.

Being part of the neighborhood it's natural to stop and chat. To avoid the problem, the simplest way is to choose another route. Or you could try power walking and when people want to talk, invite them to keep up with you.

I'm not sure this is negatively impacts your fitness. From what I've read, interval training offers the most cardiac benefits and calorie burning. Couldn't you be kind of moving/walking/jogging in place during the talking and then step it up until you slow down for the next conversation?

Being part of the neighborhood it's natural to stop and chat. To avoid the problem, the simplest way is to choose another route. Or you could try power walking and when people want to talk, invite them to keep up with you.
We think alike. :LOL:
I was thinking that perhaps you could go solo and/or with the dog at a faster pace, and make a circular route to "catch up" with your wife when she is done chatting.
When I used to xcountry ski, I had trouble keeping up (wrists issues) especially on uphills. So I would tell the faster folks in the group to go ahread at their pace, and just double back and/or meet me at a given trail intersection point for the return trip. Everyone was happy. :D

Can you and your wife walk at different times during the day ? Or you can do 2 walks, one alone at your pace, and another walk with your wife and dog.
Late in the day I walk miles in our neighborhood. My wife and dog go with me. The problem is this. Many of my neighbors want to stop us and talk.

Bicycle for your exercise, then tag along with wife and dog if you feel sociable?

You need to look like you are power walking for exercise rather than just strolling around the neighborhood. When you see the talkative neighbors step up your pace and place the first two fingers of your right hand on your left wrist like you are checking your pulse. As you pass by smile and say hello but sound like you are a little short of breath from the pace. Image is everything.

Tell your wife that you want to walk at dawn to get your walk done early. Probably not too many neighbors out at that time.

oldtrig said:
Many of my neighbors want to stop us and talk. I keep walking but my wife said I am rude....
I think it depends on how you "keep walking". If you simply ignore the person speaking to you and walk away from them, then I would agree with your wife, that is rude. But if you acknowledge them and say something along the lines of "sorry, can't stop",' that doesn't seem at all rude IMO.

However, your wife's opinion of your behaviour is much more important than mine!

oldtrig said:
I could care less what others think about me.
I expect you really mean "I couldn't care less"?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom