Need help getting the power company to cut down a tree close the main line.

FANOFJESUS

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
We have asked the power company four times to cut down a tree that is close to the main power line. They trim it every seven years but refuse to cut it down. The trim job almost cuts the tree in half(up and down). Making the tree look very bad. The tree is not dead. Does anybody have any ideas on how to get the power company to cut this tree down?

Last edited:
That's odd, my company promotes free tree removal for ones they have to trim each year.

I had that problem and they said if the tree was within 50 feet of the line, it was my problem. I pointed out that the tree was over 50' tall and when it fell it would take out the line. I had to go up a couple of levels but I prevailed as the electric company was getting slammed for frequent power outages. Elevate until you prevail.

Have you investigated who is the manager of your local electrical cooperative?

You'd be surprised what you can do if you talk to the right person and ask in a nice way.

Wouldn't hurt to have picture of the tree too. But you might have to wait until the quarantine is over to see them in person.

At our local power company, I could just catch the Asplundh crew, and they'd be glad to come out and cut the tree. They're under contract with our electric company.

see if you can get neighbors on the same power line to call or enlist the aid of your city or county govt.

In my case the tree was trimmed every year. So they spent dough every year trimming, not just every 7 years. That might be a factor.

And they didn't get rid of everything, I had to deal with the big stuff that wouldn't go through the chipper and it was a big pain I ended up buying a chainsaw to make grooves for the wedge to split the stuff (eucalyptus) and stack it.

you could also remind your local govt officials that the Paradise CA fire was started by a power company unwilling to properly maintain their lines.

Maybe just cut the tree down yourself if you don't like what it looks like after they trim it?

I assume they have a legal easement and have pretty broad authority to manage the area near their lines, but I am just speculating here.

If they are doing routine cutting in the area find out the color of paint or ribbon they are using and paint your tree or tie it the same as the others.
Neighbors tree just took out the neighborhood power 2 weeks ago in a wind storm, trees were trimmed 2 weeks prior, electric company was bitchin about the tree cutting service should have trimmed the trees that caused the problem.

Back
Top Bottom