New Health Worry?

And from the LATimes: Your Neanderthal DNA might be making you depressed - LA Times

It stands to reason that the Neanderthal versions of genes would function differently from their modern human counterparts. After all, Neanderthals had been living in northern latitudes for thousands of years before anatomically modern humans arrived, giving the Neanderthals plenty of time to adapt to the unique environment and its pathogens.

Most geneticists believe that at least some of the Neanderthal DNA variants that remain in the human genome were able to spread because they provided some advantage to our ancestors after they left Africa.

This article suggests that some of us could be carrying neanderthal DNA which could be leading to health issues.

Most of us have some Neanderthal genes, so it seems like a non-issue to me. Personally, I'm about 2.9% myself, although some would estimate far, far more. :LOL:

This article suggests that some of us could be carrying neanderthal DNA which could be leading to health issues. This certainly is something that was never on my radar, although I have known some people that exhibited such behavior traits.

https://www.sciencenews.org/article/neandertal-dna-may-raise-risk-some-modern-human-diseases

We have known for many years that many of us have Neanderthal genes. We have known for many years that genes are important regulators of states of health and illness. Therefore, it is completely unsurprising that our Neanderthal genes might be predisposing us to specific health problems. This information is interesting from an anthropological point of view, and will spur further scientific research, but it is does not add anything actionable for individuals. In particular, there is absolutely no point in worrying about it.

I'd be depressed too if I was a Neanderthal.

I'm getting that urge to get my club out and go on a hunt, rather than staying home and being depressed and fret with worry.

Last edited:
Most of us have some Neanderthal genes, so it seems like a non-issue to me. Personally, I'm about 2.9% myself, although some would estimate far, far more. :LOL:

Don't know my percentage but yes, some have called me Neanderthal too.

So. some of our genome came down from Neanderthals. The rest of it started with Australopithecus or some such predecessor. We have vestigial gills in our throats. We all get sick and die if we live long enough to avoid predators and accidents. Enjoy your ER and fuggedaboutit.

I posted this tongue in cheek, although I guess several didn't take it the way. Anyway, the interesting thing about genetics is the hope it brings for identifying and altering defective genes that do cause disease. I am not sure how far off it will be until that becomes a more common place treatment, but its coming.

Maybe this explains why I see so many golfers take a whiz behind a bush on the course. Or maybe its the beer............

If this applied to me (which it doesn't), I would be afraid of these more realistic statistics:

U.S. Obesity Rate Climbs to Record High in 2015

"This generation of Americans is the first that will have a shorter life expectancy than the previous generation, and obesity is one of the biggest contributors to this shortened life expectancy because it is driving a lot of chronic health conditions.”

Emphasis added

Usually a diverse set of genes means less health problems. It's folks from a narrow gene pool that tend to develop health problems through generations.

Last edited:
Usually a diverse set of genes means less health problems. It's folks from a narrow gene pools that tend to develop health problems through generations.

People, dogs and others.

Finally an explanation of why I like to hang out at my mancave in the hills.

Maybe this explains why I see so many golfers take a whiz behind a bush on the course. Or maybe its the beer............

We live on a golf course for half the year. DW's always yelling "We can see you" at the golfers that pee in the little stand of trees beyond the hole. They could at least go all the way into the trees, but no...they just stand at the edge facing away. I'm relatively sure Neanderthals could figure it out.

Perhaps you can look into getting a flash with a remote control, and mounting it on the trees. Then, have your wife yell "Smile, you are on camera!".

Perhaps you can look into getting a flash with a remote control, and mounting it on the trees. Then, have your wife yell "Smile, you are on camera!".

That's an excellent idea. Maybe add a camera uploading to the cloud. We can get the entire low class portion of the golfing community of MD's Eastern Shore put on the sex offender's list.

Back
Top Bottom