New Shingrx Shingles Vaccine

I was in the US recently for a few weeks and the fifth pharmacy that I contacted had it in stock ... I almost fainted when they said they had it as I had already basically given up (a CVS Pharmacy in the San Diego area). Since I live abroad, I don't have regular US health insurance and paid cash $167. I really wanted to get it because I am returning to the US in 5 months, one of the few times I am going twice in less than 6 months.

The injection spot was sore for 2 days but that was the only side effect, fortunately. Also, when I touched the spot it was sore, but it did not hurt when I was using my muscles in that arm, I could even have gone to the gym.

My wife and I finally got our prescriptions from our primary care doctors and confirmation that is is covered 100% by our insurance. But we're having the same issue, it's out of stock everywhere we've called (CVS, Rite Aid, Safeway, Walgreens, etc). The local Safeway pharmacy told us they only get ten doses every two weeks and it's first come-first served.

Since it's a two-shot regimen, it makes us a bit nervous that if/when we get the first shot, we might not be able to get the second dose on time.

-Wino

Since it's a two-shot regimen, it makes us a bit nervous that if/when we get the first shot, we might not be able to get the second dose on time.

I agree- based on what I've read here I won't even think about getting the first dose till the supply opens up. Hoping my Zostavax does (4 years ago) holds up in the meantime.

Haven't read all 253 posts but the title caught my eye.

DW had her second shot yesterday. As I write this at 5PM she's been in bed since 2PM with flu-like symptoms. Expected, and she'll be fine by tomorrow, but....FWIW.

My sig. other and I were on the waiting list (we waited about two weeks). I received my first shot four days ago. The shot itself is painless. My arm was slightly sore for a day and a half after the shot. No other symptoms. My sig. other got her first shot two days ago. Other than a slightly sore arm, no other symptoms.

The pharmacist said we need to receive the second shot between two and six months after the first shot.

It is interesting... one of my friends went to the drug store and was able to get the shots on his own and insurance covered it...

I went in today and asked about it... they asked what insurance I had and I told them... she said she had that insurance before and they only cover flu shots through a pharmacy!!! Will have to go to doc to get the shot or get a prescription...

DW and I got our second doses yesterday. Went to Walgreens about a month ago for this and was turned away - no stock. The pharmacist said she would call when they had more. Yesterday morning she called and put our doses aside for us. She did say we should come in same day as they couldn’t hold indefinitely. We went in after lunch for them. Pretty good service I thought. Both our arms are sore again, but we knew to expect it.

The wife and I got the first of two shots about two months ago at our Military facility (Iam retired Military). Was told the second shot is due BTW 2 and 6 months after the first.

Most places around here (SW PA) have a 4 to 5 page waiting list. None know when the stuff will show up.

I had my 2nd shot yesterday - about 2 months after the first. Sore arm again, but does not seem as bad as the first shot. BUT, did have a 101 fever and chills last night and generally feeling unwell. Did not have that with the 1st shot. Feeling totally fine today.

Most places around here (SW PA) have a 4 to 5 page waiting list. None know when the stuff will show up.
Clearly the shortage didn't clear out in July. Still better than not having it at all for some/most people.

Speaking from experience, shingles is not fun to get. Beyond the intense pain and disfiguring scabs for a good month or so, there is the possibility of long term complications. Specifically, 1) post herpatic neuralgia (nerve pain) can last months, years, even decades. 2) if you are unlucky to get shingles on the face, there is the possibility of nerve damage to teeth roots - eventual need for root canals, implants, etc. From my perspective (4 decades post shingles), the vaccine is a bargain.

We got our first shots two months ago and second a couple of days ago. I was a little tired the day following my first shot. I felt like a truck hit me the night and day following my second. This is the second day. I slept 11 hours straight last night and I feel much better today. My wife wasn't affected much, just a little tired.

We got our first shots two months ago and second a couple of days ago. I was a little tired the day following my first shot. I felt like a truck hit me the night and day following my second. This is the second day. I slept 11 hours straight last night and I feel much better today. My wife wasn't affected much, just a little tired.

Another few hours has now passed and my wife has developed a large red itchy painful hot blister about 3" in diameter just below the injection site. Hopefully this is the worst of it for her.

Still not available at my Dr's for second shot, but I have plenty of time.

I finally was able to get my first shot a few weeks ago. What happened is my local Costco has a waiting list. They called me and I arranged a time to go. Before that time, Costco called back and said they wanted to rescind that offer, as they were just informed that they were not going to get any more vaccine until January and that that was too long to wait for the second shot. Thanks to this thread I was able to question that, and when they still resisted, I asked them to give me the old vaccine (it has been 5 yrs. since my original old vaccine). After being on hold for a while, they relented and I was able to get the first shot.

DW (only just 60)was still on the waiting list, and her Dr. said it was OK for her to wait until January since her immune systems was in good shape. I'm glad he told her that because it was a little tricky explaining why I ran off to get a shot without waiting for her. :blush:

Still not available at my Dr's for second shot, but I have plenty of time.

Called back this week and found that they had saved some shots for folks needing the second one so I got it today. Arm doesn't seem as sore tonight, we'll see tomorrow (IIRC it was worse the next day for the first one).

My insurance covers Shingrix, my cost $0. Because I have chronic CLL (in remission) my oncologist told me not to get Zostex. I'm going to ask him about Shingrix next time I see him in October.

My insurance covers Shingrix, my cost $0. Because I have chronic CLL (in remission) my oncologist told me not to get Zostex. I'm going to ask him about Shingrix next time I see him in October.

My insurance also covers Shingrix. However, COSTCO charged me a copay. So I had to send in a reimbursement form to my insurance company.

The medical industrial complex has really fouled up the release of the Shingrix vaccine, IMO>

Wife and I got Shingrix 1 and then Shingrix 2, along with quadrivalent flu at local Walgreens. Pharmacists do the injections.

Cost 0. (retired military Tricare)

Side effects same for Shingrix 1 and 2:
Wife - sore arm for 24 hours
Me - very sore arm for 48 hours with red area about 1.5" x 3" ...

My insurance also covers Shingrix. However, COSTCO charged me a copay. So I had to send in a reimbursement form to my insurance company.

The medical industrial complex has really fouled up the release of the Shingrix vaccine, IMO>

For us the social media hype about problems (i.e. limited availability) turned out to be much worse than the actual situation. We walked in and got our first injection. Eight weeks later we checked and there was no supply so the pharmacy (WalMart) put us on a waitlist. We received a call one week later saying to come in for our second injection.

There was some confusion whether my wife's ACA policy would cover Shingrix. The insurance company told her "no" but the pharmacy CS person said that she was running the insurance anyway and sure enough, both shots were covered!

It's early for Shingrix. I'm sure the bumps will smooth out before too long.

I'm at almost 6 months since shot #1 and on Costco's waiting list - I hope. The pharm tech took my name and number on a piece of scrap paper. :(

I'm at almost 6 months since shot #1 and on Costco's waiting list - I hope. The pharm tech took my name and number on a piece of scrap paper. :(

My Costco said new doses would not be in for them until January. They do seem to have an actual list that they can find people on, however.

I would recommend checking back in person to make sure you are on the list. It also can't hurt to be a bit of a squeaky wheel. We had planned to check back with our pharmacy about a week after being put on their waitlist but were called to come in for our second shot before we had the chance to. Good luck!!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom