News/politics fast

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's usually not the actual news that's the problem. It's the spin and the clickbait headlines that anger me. Ok I need to stop thinking about the news now. Ok much better.

I have heard more than I want but DW seems compelled to watch more news than before covid.

We find the PBS newshour(s) daily @ 6pm Eastern are the best source of up to date News, the least Partisan and the most informative. Actual world news with no fluff.

I quit watching tv news a few weeks ago. And I quit reading the covid threads here. But a little politics and news is still getting to me from friends' texts and captions on occasional FB posts. It's great not knowing what is going on out there.

My news watching is way down, and has been for a long time. Even with "the thing" inundating online and broadcast, I've sampled, but turned away due to the inevitabily of events and how they'll affect me. Once the understanding is in your mind (I don't want to catch this or anything else at this time) it's just a matter of staying isolated and enjoying life.

I've found a lot of comfort in the yard with serious cleanup of debris that's fallen over the past 2 years (I've been ill, etc.). So I'm getting very local news on a micro level, stuff that isn't in the headlines, LOL. For example, a tree snapped off at top during windstorms last week, and took a tumble over the board on board fence of a neighbor. A little damage to 25-year old fence, but neighbor is pretty cool about things. I dealt with it to his satisfaction.

Tree guys came yesterday and took down 8 trees altogether. Pretty exciting news as they moved cherry-picker into another neighbor's driveway and did their thing. Today there is a lot more sunshine as the sun rises on a colder day.

News/politics? I get one vote, and I'm informed. Time to focus on the immediate things in our lives.

It's about time for me to order a new remote as my mute button is getting worn and hard to see. Before house arrest I wore down the mute button skipping commercials now its skipping the so called 'news'

My news routine is same as always:

1. I check the local small-town paper online for anything that interests me. Right now, it's all local Covid trends/statistics and information about testing, etc, which I like to be informed about.

2. I watch the first 10-15 minutes of PBS NewsHour at 6pm. I leave it on for the rest of the hour but I'm usually preparing dinner and just passively listening.

3. I check Google Now for stories related to my interests like science and technology.

I want to be informed but I avoid being "consumed" by the news business, especially the focus on negativity, politics, and divisiveness.

I watch about 20 min of news. I turn on the local station until the weather is over. The local news is plenty informative and far less politically bias (mostly because of what they’re discussing). Once I get my weather, I’m good. I could get weather from an app, but the 20 min of news seems about right for me.

FWIW,I used to be a news junky and I totally agree with reducing it or eliminating it. I do feel better. I do feel better focusing on the things that actually matter to me and that I can impact. Most of that which is discussed on the news doesn’t matter and I can’t affect it even if it does.

The problem I have with the news is you do not know what to believe. Seems more like disinformation than news, so maybe a waste of time.

Good thread! I agree with too much news causing impact. Also, the best thing out of this was reading that I could turn off the COVID Forum! That was a godsend!

We need more cute kitty stories/pictures on the news. Maybe that would help. :hide:

Cheers!

I scan stories once a day from several online news sources, and I'm good to go. That's my limit. I still own a TV but don't have cable and pretty much don't watch it, except for an occasional dose of MeTV (Green Acres!). I find TV newscasters abominable with their breathless "breaking news!" delivery. No thanks.

The problem I have with the news is you do not know what to believe. Seems more like disinformation than news, so maybe a waste of time.

Oh, I know what to believe. Just can't say what I believe :popcorn:.

I've found myself lately easing off the news. Have been finding myself fast forwarding past some of the stories. Some just too sad and morbid and unbelievable to watch. Like from a horror movie.

Oh, I know what to believe. Just can't say what I believe :popcorn:.

I've found myself lately easing off the news. Have been finding myself fast forwarding past some of the stories. Some just too sad and morbid and unbelievable to watch. Like from a horror movie.

The horror movie mimics the "Saw" movies series, where one has to make a choice (health vs. economy in this case).
I know I am stretching it by a lot, but think about it if you are familiar with the movie.

The horror movie mimics the "Saw" movies series, where one has to make a choice (health vs. economy in this case).
I know I am stretching it by a lot, but think about it if you are familiar with the movie.

Sorry, I haven't watch the "Saw" movie series so can't connect the reference in my mind.

I think of the current situation like the old punchline from the Jack Benny Show where the robber holds him up and asks "Your money or your life?" and he pauses and says "I"m thinking... I'm thinking". Except the current situation isn't for laughs but a serious question.

We find the PBS newshour(s) daily @ 6pm Eastern are the best source of up to date News, the least Partisan and the most informative. Actual world news with no fluff.

I didn’t know that PBS edited news differently per region. Here in the upper Midwest, they are extremely partisan (and make no secret of it).

DW and I had never watched nightly TV national news before the virus.

We mainlined it for a month with the caveat of not watching while eating.

Monday of is week we said enough of this "If it bleeds it leads" ratings garbage reporting.

Now we just spend the day walking the beach, floating in the pool and watching cat videos. Our BP has recovered.

We were watching about 4 hours daily. Now down to half hour in the morning and 1 specific show for an hour at night.

It's interesting how a thread about turning off the news might go off track, and become about the news.

I'm glad to be out of the containment area, too.

I can barely contain myself.

We record some political news shows that we usually enjoy, to watch or not watch, but the hyperbole creep exploded this last month and I rarely watch them now. They get deleted automatically after a few days. Local news stories are the same in the local paper and on television, so I don’t bother with local TV. I subscribe to a national paper online and a local paper online, that plus a couple of free online newsfeeds are plenty.

For COVID news I go to the state’s health department website, and listen to This Week in Virology podcasts. Journalists in general do not know enough about their topics to do a good job, especially medicine. They try to put everything in black and white, and medicine is all grey and fuzzy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom