NFL: 2020 Season

Now Tennessee might be in jeopardy, per NFL news release:

If the Titans can't play this coming Sunday, I wonder how does this impact the rest of the teams and the NFL season. Will some teams just play fewer games? Will there be forfeiting?

Football doesn't have the luxury of playing double headers like baseball.

If the Titans can't play this coming Sunday, I wonder how does this impact the rest of the teams and the NFL season. Will some teams just play fewer games? Will there be forfeiting?

I am not a mathematician or statistician, and perhaps it's much too early to be discussing this, but how would any such forfeits affect play-off tie-breaker stats, etc?

According to WaPo:
https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2020/09/29/nfl-covid-outbreak-faq

The Titans were scheduled to host the Pittsburgh Steelers on Sunday, but the NFL announced Wednesday that the game will be rescheduled for Monday or Tuesday “to allow additional time for further daily COVID-19 testing and to ensure the health and safety of players, coaches and game day personnel.”

Should the Titans-Steelers game become unplayable in Week 4, the NFL schedule does offer some room for maneuvering. The league could make Week 4 the bye week for both teams and reschedule the Tennessee-Pittsburgh game for Week 7, when Tennessee originally was supposed to have a bye and the Steelers were to face the Baltimore Ravens. Week 7 would then become the Ravens’ bye week. Baltimore could then face Pittsburgh in Week 8, which is the Steelers’ scheduled bye week. Also, playing Monday is a possibility for Titans-Steelers, and that would give the Titans one more day to practice.

Since this happened pretty early in the season, it seems like they have several paths that will allow them to get the whole season in.

Looks like the game is currently postponed until Monday or Tuesday:

https://www.nfl.com/news/pittsburgh-steelers-tennessee-titans-game-postponed-until-monday-or-tuesday

The NFL will delay the Week 4 bout between the Pittsburgh Steelers and Tennessee Titans a day or two. It represents the first scheduled game altered by the COVID-19 pandemic.

NFL Network Insider Ian Rapoport reported Wednesday that the Steelers and Titans is expected to be played either Monday or Tuesday, per a source informed of the decision.

The NFL later confirmed the decision to push the game. Steelers coach Mike Tomlin told reporters WednesdaY there's a "strong possibility" the game will be played Monday.

Cam Newton tested positive for Covid 19. Won't play on Sunday.

The New England Patriots have placed quarterback Cam Newton on the COVID-19 reserve list, according to multiple reports.
The designation means a player has either tested positive for the coronavirus or has been in "close contact" with an infected person, but ESPN reported Newton did indeed test positive. He will not play Sunday in the Patriots' Week 4 game against the Kansas City Chiefs. Jarrett Stidham and Brian Hoyer are the other quarterbacks on the Patriots' roster.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/spor...qb-positive-covid-19-reserve-list/3608214001/

Maybe the Texans should consider this option for all their upcoming games... Sure would be less embarrassing for them based on everything I've read about their first three games.

Last edited:
That’s some setback for the Pats, even more so for Newton trying to revive his career - after getting off to a decent start. We’ll see how this plays out...

Game already postponed ...
New England quarterback Cam Newton tested positive for the novel coronavirus, and the NFL postponed the Patriots’ game at the Kansas City Chiefs that had been scheduled for Sunday afternoon.

The NFL announced Saturday that the Patriots-Chiefs game is now slated to be played Monday or Tuesday, and it attributed the postponement to positive coronavirus tests on both teams. It was the second NFL game scheduled for Sunday to be postponed, with this week’s outbreak on the Tennessee Titans having led to their game in Nashville against the Pittsburgh Steelers being pushed to Week 7.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2020/10/03/cam-newton-coronavirus/

Have I missed something? Have all the NFL players and coaches and staff all sequestered and quarantined away from all other people? Because otherwise, how do they think they can do close-contact sports without spreading COVID through the whole league like wildfire?

Maybe the Texans should consider this option for all their upcoming games... Sure would be less embarrassing for them based on everything I've read about their first three games.

After today's game the answer to that will become clear. They are playing the Vikings and both have a 0-3 record. A lot of pressure on both teams to win today.

They're going to play during what would have been their by week

Detroit -New Orleans game in jeopardy as a NO player tested positive on the plane ride to Detroit.

Have I missed something? Have all the NFL players and coaches and staff all sequestered and quarantined away from all other people? Because otherwise, how do they think they can do close-contact sports without spreading COVID through the whole league like wildfire?
In a related story: earlier, during training camp, an undrafted Seahawks rookie, Kemah Siverand, got caught by surveillance video trying to sneak a woman disguised as a fellow player (in Seahawks gear) into his hotel room and was summarily released by the team.

Last edited:
Always liked Romeo. He didn’t have a winning record as head coach with the Chiefs but he’s a great defensive coordinator. Hope he does well, definitely deserves the opportunity.

NHL wrapped up. NBA and MLB are going to wrap up soon. American football (NFL & CF) from here to YE, man, I just don't think this is going to work out well.

Now that makes sense, but it's probably to little and to late for this season.... Although I've never heard much about Romeo Crennel, but if he walks and talks he's got to be an improvement.

His best success has been as a defense coordinator, particularly at NE 2001-2004. He has had head coaching stints in Cleveland and (briefly) Kansas City, but with less results. He has enough experience to serve as interim coach.

NFL Power Rankings: Week 5

One quarter into the season, going into today's games, here are the NFL Power Rankings: Week 5

1. KC (4-0)
  2. GB (4-0)
  3. BAL (3-1)
  4. BUF (4-0)
  5. PIT (3-0)
  6. SEA (4-0)
  7. TEN (3-0)
  8. TB (3-1)
  9. LAR (3-1)
  10. NE (2-2)
  11. NO (2-2)
  12. IND (3-1)
  13. CLE (3-1)
  14. SF (2-2)
  15. CAR (2-2)
  16. ARI (2-2)
  17. MIN (1-3)
  18. LAC (1-3)
  19. PHI (1-2-1)
  20. DAL (1-3)
  21. LV (2-2)
  22. CHI (3-1)
  23. CIN (1-2-1)
  24. DET (1-3)
  25. MIA (1-3)
  26. JAX (1-3)
  27. DEN (1-3)
  28. ATL (0-4)
  29. HOU (0-4)
  30. WAS (1-3)
  31. NYG (0-4)
  32. NYJ (0-4)

Last edited:
Only two NFL QBs put together 8 consecutive winning seasons for their teams. Brady and Wilson. Wilson was the only one to do it in his first 8 seasons with Seattle.

Going for five and zero tonight. Carroll was fired by the Pats when they hired Belichuk. Since that time their records have been very consistent.

Back
Top Bottom