NFL: 2022 Season

The rules are a changing ...
A change is coming to NFL overtimes – for the playoffs.
NFL owners on Tuesday voted to implement a change in the playoffs that will ensure each team will get at least one possession, the league announced.
The rule is a modified version of the proposal set forth by the Indianapolis Colts and Philadelphia Eagles, which would have required one possession for each team in overtime for all games. Regular-season rules for overtime will remain unchanged.
If both teams remained tied after each has had a possession, the game will go to a sudden-death format.
The move comes two months after the Kansas City Chiefs defeated the Buffalo Bills in the AFC divisional playoffs by scoring a touchdown on the first possession of overtime. After the two teams combined for 25 points in the final two minutes of regular, the Chiefs won the coin toss and strung together an eight-play, 75-yard touchdown drive, denying the Bills an opportunity to respond.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/spor...ged-playoffs-possession-each-team/7204905001/

Let's see, rules have gone from sudden death to a 1st drive FG does not win, to now a 1st drive TD does not win :(.

I think should just play a 10 minute quarter in playoffs OT. If still tied, after that, then play on. Less rules mumble jumble of convoluted rules. What is this? .. Baseball? :popcorn:.

While they're at it, why not change the term to "sudden win"? ;)

That's funny ... "sudden win" ;).

My take, looking back at the Chiefs/Bills playoff game, was a shame either team had to lose. I was for the Bills, Josh Allen had an MVP type game, yet at the same time, I'm against the "extended sudden death" (note the oxymoron).

Looking back at games in the past, the Super Bowl where Brady and the Pats came back against the Falcons OT where probably everyone knew the Pats were going to score a TD, Falcons couldn't stop them, there wasn't a big push to change the rules then.

The same when Tebow, his glory playoff victory against the Steelers, there wasn't a push to change the rules then.

So why now?

I still don't know why they don't go the college route, with the mandatory 2-pt conversions after a TD. Can be much quicker than playing out another quarter.

Like in baseball, if tied at the end of 9, they play another full inning, and then another until someone wins. Football, another full quarter and then another... No need for a bunch of special rules. Okay, football "is" a tougher sport but they are paid to play and win.

A little off topic USFL VS NFL, but it's still 2022 football. I just finished watching the second game of the new USFL which was just as good (well almost) as games played in the NFL.... Some rule changes from the NFL (for the better). I'm not sure how well it's going to work with all games being played in Birmingham. :confused: Even at $10 a ticket, attendance was abysmal.

And the best thing is the Houston Gamblers won their first game... Hope the Texans were watching. :LOL:

Last edited:
A little off topic USFL VS NFL, but it's still 2022 football. I just finished watching the second game of the new USFL which was just as good (well almost) as games played in the NFL.... Some rule changes from the NFL (for the better). I'm not sure how well it's going to work with all games being played in Birmingham. :confused: Even at $10 a ticket, attendance was abysmal

I will second that. I have been pleasantly surprised. I didn't think they were quite up to NFL standards but they don't have to be. Judge it on it's own merits. The biggest gap, I guess you'd call it, is no "emotional pull." There's no favorite teams or teams you love to hate yet. Same for players. Maybe that's actually good. You can just watch and enjoy the execution and the contest.

Playing all games in front of nonexistent crowds in one of the least interesting cities with teams you don't care about.

Yeah it's football, but does it matter? Really?

Playing all games in front of nonexistent crowds in one of the least interesting cities with teams you don't care about.
Yeah it's football, but does it matter? Really?

Being heavy on the "I" in INTJ, minimizing the human elements: cities, players, team reputations/corporate personalities i.e. things one "cares" about, and reducing the experience to just football had its appeal.

As a followup on the USFL (only two more games to go before the playoffs)... Attendance is still very poor for most games... I watched many of the games and found them to be interesting but still not the level of play you see in the NFL. But pretty good.

Some of what I like better than the NFL:

No BS before or after the game. Just Football. :)
Real time interviews on the sidelines during the games
Great TV coverage - audio and video coverage (and no Joe Buck :dance:)
Good officiating - not perfect but pretty good
Several of the new rules improve the game IMO (e.g. two minute warning rules, extra point rules, etc)

Some of what I don't like.

All games are played in Birmingham Al
Roughing the QB is still called far to often
Houston Gambles are holding up the tradition for Houston football teams by staying firmly in last place.

Last edited:
I've watched a couple of games and they were fine, but I don't think Americans want spring football. The big problem is that there's little to no promotion of players, press coverage etc. It's like they're playing in a vacuum, which pretty much describes the stadium given current attendance.

Yesterdays game between the Gambles and Stallions was the best game I've seen in the USFL (and I've seen most of them). Matter of fact it was better than most games I've seen in NFL in the past few years. (although I don't watch many of those anymore.)

The Houston Gambles going into the game with a 1-7 record beat the Birmingham Stallions (8-0). :dance: Who would have thought that could happen... The Stallions were only 2 game away from a perfect regular season.

Last edited:
....Matter of fact it was better than most games I've seen in NFL in the past few years. (although I don't watch many of those anymore.) ...

Too bad, because last season's playoff games were all very entertaining.

Today is the last day for the regular season USFL games to be followed by two weeks of playoffs to determine the champion.... I hope they return next year but attendance was so bad at all of the games, I just don't know. Maybe they made money on the TV coverage?

Anyway, I like most of the new rules that were changed from the NFL and found the level of play to be good (not great) and audio/video coverage was excellent. They also had some pretty good end zone touchdown celebrations too. Here's my favorite.

Last edited:
I’m tempering my expectations for the Chiefs this year. While I think/hope they get into the playoffs again this year, their schedule is filled with good teams. The price of success I guess.

Aaron Rodgers just admitted to using an illegal drug on the NFL's banned substances list. I hope that is not enough to get suspended. He did not test positive for it, it was in the off season a few years ago.

Aaron Rodgers just admitted to using an illegal drug on the NFL's banned substances list. I hope that is not enough to get suspended. He did not test positive for it, it was in the off season a few years ago.

I just saw a headline but didn't read the article. Something about a psychedelic substance? Did he just nonchalantly bring that up on a talk show?

I doubt if any action will be taken against him. Maybe that's why could see stuff on the field regular folks don't :).

Well I am expecting another dud of a season from the Cowboys. Could they make the playoffs, possibly, but with no kicker, OL questionable, no real #2 WR, aging Zeke and other potential injury impacts the depth just does not seem to be there. I also have not been very excited about the NFL since the on field political statements started and selective justice and poor decision from the commissioner. I still prefer college football, but fear NIL will have a detrimental effect there unless it can be regulated to some extent.

I’m tempering my expectations for the Chiefs this year. While I think/hope they get into the playoffs again this year, their schedule is filled with good teams. The price of success I guess.

The one division where any team is potentially capable of winning it. I plunked my season win total bets already. My big $2k bet is on the Colts 9.5 over.

Well I am expecting another dud of a season from the Cowboys. Could they make the playoffs, possibly, but with no kicker, OL questionable, no real #2 WR, aging Zeke and other potential injury impacts the depth just does not seem to be there. I also have not been very excited about the NFL since the on field political statements started and selective justice and poor decision from the commissioner. I still prefer college football, but fear NIL will have a detrimental effect there unless it can be regulated to some extent.

Two of my friends that own Texans seats for several years now tried selling them this summer. I believe they paid $12 K per seat when they bought them and they have been offered 1/6 of that. Owning the seats (they both have 4) means you have to buy the seasons tickets as an owner.

One friend gave me the SF/Texan preseason game tickets (4) on August 25th to see if I could use them or give them away. My step-grandson took them.

Not a lot of love for this team in H Town.

It is a week away from the season start, and I do not know what to expect. Starters played so little in the preseason (which I do not see as a problem) that it is tough to get a read on teams. There were a lot of interesting trades, but few real surprises when the final cuts came. And the biggest impact to Tom Brady this year might come from Gisele :).

It will make for an interesting start to the year (and, for fantasy football aficionados, lots of mystery going into the fantasy drafts :)).

Back
Top Bottom