NFL 2023 Season

Status
Not open for further replies.
Offensive offsides has been called 12 times so far this season. It has been one of the infractions noted for increased enforcement by the NFL. Last year it was only called 2 times all season. And two years ago it was only called once.

This particular case was flagged at the snap of the ball, long before Mahomes even threw. There was no opportunity for the official to hold onto the flag after observing that he'd be negating an important play. And, IMHO, the official should not have withheld the flag based on his/her perception of the impact of the play on the outcome of the game, on social media, on post game interviews, etc.

I hope the official who tossed the flag suffers no negative consequences due to Kaderius Toney's inability to line up properly pre-snap.

Last edited:
What you said is consistent with my understanding, but why wouldn't they whistle the play dead? Let's say that the pass was intercepted... could the Bills have then declined the penalty? That wouldn't see right.

It seems to me that the play should have been blown dead when the flag was thrown.

I find the win-loss records in the conferences interesting.

In the AFC, 11 of the 16 teams are 7-6 or better. The best team is 10-3. Six teams are 7-6, and 2 of them currently hold the last 2 playoff seeds. with 4 games to go there could be a lot of movement in the playoff standings.

In the NFC, only 6 of the 16 teams are 6-6 or better. If the Packers lose to the Giants tonight, only 5 teams will be above .500. In addition, that would have 2 6-7 teams seeded in the playoffs for now.

The NFL loves this parity, it keeps the interest up across more cities. More than the usual number of playoff teams and their seed number could be decided in week 18. Crazy, fun times :).

What you said is consistent with my understanding, but why wouldn't they whistle the play dead? Let's say that the pass was intercepted... could the Bills have then declined the penalty? That wouldn't see right.

It seems to me that the play should have been blown dead when the flag was thrown.

It actually would be right let the play continue, to be consistent with defensive offsides. They let the play go on unless it is very obvious to disrupt the play (like the defensive player hits and offensive player, or goes beyond the offensive line into the backfield players) A defensive offsides becomes a "free play" for the offense, so an offensive offsides should be a "free play" for the defense.

asdf

Attachments

• 103981-8f0350974a4f9fb9cab1518cb531fe8d.data.png
    103981-8f0350974a4f9fb9cab1518cb531fe8d.data.png
    357.4 KB · Views: 15
I haven't followed the NY Giants at all. Turned on the GB vs Giants game on MNF and didn't even know Daniel Jones was out for year.

Had no idea who Tommy DeVito was, but this was the Tommy DeVito game (aside from a sloppy game by both teams).

After Barkley coughed the ball up and gave the Packers new life. Packers should have at least run the ball once final possession to milk time off the clock. They scored too soon, allowing DeVito time.

I haven't followed the NY Giants at all. Turned on the GB vs Giants game on MNF and didn't even know Daniel Jones was out for year.

Had no idea who Tommy DeVito was, but this was the Tommy DeVito game (aside from a sloppy game by both teams).

After Barkley coughed the ball up and gave the Packers new life. Packers should have at least run the ball once final possession to milk time off the clock. They scored too soon, allowing DeVito time.
Giants had timeouts in their pockets.

Giants had timeouts in their pockets.

Didn't Giants have no more timeouts on their final drive?

I still would have ran at least once. Of course, when the chance to get a quick TD hard to pass up. But right after the Packers scored, first thing I said was plenty of time left for Giants to get a winning FG.

Didn't Giants have no more timeouts on their final drive?

I still would have ran at least once. Of course, when the chance to get a quick TD hard to pass up. But right after the Packers scored, first thing I said was plenty of time left for Giants to get a winning FG.

They had two timeouts left on the final drive.

I can't believe that was the same Packer team that had beat the Chiefs the week before.

Coaching, special teams, offense and defense were all bad.

I can't believe that was the same Packer team that had beat the Chiefs the week before.

Coaching, special teams, offense and defense were all bad.

The Packers are a very young team. Consistency isn't there yet.

This was me. I wanted to watch Dolphins vs Titans but got Giants vs Packers instead. Decided to watch anyway. I had no idea who DeVito was. Despite the sloppy playing (including the Giants standing and watching the Packers continue to play after the Barkley fumble!?! I’ll admit I was yelling at the TV about then) My favorite part was watching DeVito’s ecstatic family and agent in the stands. They were a hoot.

This was me. I wanted to watch Dolphins vs Titans but got Giants vs Packers instead. Decided to watch anyway. I had no idea who DeVito was. Despite the sloppy playing (including the Giants standing and watching the Packers continue to play after the Barkley fumble!?! I’ll admit I was yelling at the TV about then) My favorite part was watching DeVito’s ecstatic family and agent in the stands. They were a hoot.
I got both and would have preferred to watch the Dolphins game but I couldn't watch the Manning bros on the split screen. I like the Mannings as QB's, but as commentators, not so much. So I watched the Giants games and turned the sound down. Really don't want to hear anything Joe Buck has to say.

I got both and would have preferred to watch the Dolphins game but I couldn't watch the Manning bros on the split screen. I like the Mannings as QB's, but as commentators, not so much. So I watched the Giants games and turned the sound down. Really don't want to hear anything Joe Buck has to say.

Me either. The only commentator I usually enjoy is Richard Sherman on Thursday nights as he often makes me laugh. I enjoy his podcast too (usually)

I’m stuck with whatever game my local station (via the huge antenna DH installed) says I get to watch. DH keeps telling me to sign up for the NFL app but I’m too lazy and cheap. Wait, no, make that thrifty!

That was a very sloppy (both teams) but entertaining game. Had almost a bit of everything both. Missed FGs, muffed punt, punt that hits unaware receiving team player, fumble with player just stumbling untouched, almost comeback win, then comeback win. Humor too. Yes, DeVito's family is a hoot.

Tommy DeVito, he's got some giddy-up, squirting out running away from the defensive line and a nice strong arm.

I'm not a betting person, but if the Thursday Night game keeps going the way it is, I wonder what the betting odds for Brandon Staley remaining as Chargers head coach beyond Monday will be.

I'm not a betting person, but if the Thursday Night game keeps going the way it is, I wonder what the betting odds for Brandon Staley remaining as Chargers head coach beyond Monday will be.
What a blowout, glad I only watched the highlights and not the entire game.

That was a very sloppy (both teams) but entertaining game. Had almost a bit of everything both. Missed FGs, muffed punt, punt that hits unaware receiving team player, fumble with player just stumbling untouched, almost comeback win, then comeback win. Humor too. Yes, DeVito's family is a hoot.

Tommy DeVito, he's got some giddy-up, squirting out running away from the defensive line and a nice strong arm.

Speaking strictly for myself, I know that I'd rather watch La Famiglia DeVito in the stands than the incessant shots of Taylor Swift asking her suite-mates "What just happened?"

Well, that did not take long... Staley has been fired today (along with the GM).

Well, that did not take long... Staley has been fired today (along with the GM).

Not long at all. I have heard it suggested that the players played the way they did to get him fired, as they were fed up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom