Nice Cars... is it a vice?

As old as some of us are getting, waiting a couple of years is like leaving some fun on the table. :LOL:

That is a good point! :D Although hopefully you won't have to hang out at the service department anytime soon...you could rapidly age there!

That is a good point! :D Although hopefully you won't have to hang out at the service department anytime soon...you could rapidly age there!

I took my two year old Tesla Model 3 to it's first visit to the service department last week. They gave me a Model S 85D as a loaner.

Why did it need service? Tesla wanted to install the new driving computer (Version 3) with the chip they designed in-house. It's seven times as powerful as the Nvidia processor it replaced but it has the same current draw.

Cost to me? Zero!

I asked them to service the car when it was in there. They looked at me like I was stupid. They said "Does it need a tire rotation?" I told them, no, I rotate them when I switch from Summer to Winter tires and back again". He said it shouldn't need anything but they would give it a courtesy inspection.

Cost to me? Zero.

When I took my one year old Mazda CX-5 in for it's second oil change at the Mazda Dealership (15,000 miles) I was about to leave but thought I would ask how much it was going to be. He went over this long list of things he said it would need and that the price would be $387. I looked at him like he was crazy and said I only wanted a regular 15K service, all it needs is oil and filter and inspection, it's still a new car. Then he tried to lay on the guilt about taking proper care of my car, etc. etc. etc. I finally had to get real firm with him and tell him I only wanted the oil and filter change. He shook his head and acted like I was being irresponsible but if that's all I wanted it would be $74 (it needed 0-20W synthetic).

This is why I hate auto dealerships - they are money sucker scum. When I want to spend money at a Tesla Service Center they're like "we don't want your money - the car doesn't need anything". :)

Last edited:
Looks like Tesla decided to build it's new factory in Texas. Just what we don't need. Although, it does seem appropriate that they are building it near Austin.

Hopefully Tesla will teach all those Austin slackers how to be productive and do a day of real work instead of twiddling their thumbs and collecting welfare and/or otherwise sucking off the government's teat! :cool:

I do know the local county government wooed them pretty hard to keep them from falling for the pitch Tulsa, OK gave them. In the end, Austin won out. Tulsa put in a good effort to get them but I think the Texans had a trick or two up their sleeve that Tulsa just couldn't match. ;)

Most of the car threads end up being Tesla threads, with the same posters. We need a “no Tesla allowed” car thread. :)
Now I like that idea!

Last edited:
These Tesla lovers will say resistance is futile.

No, it's the "Nice cars...is it a vice" thread.
Teslas are nice cars. Years ago I had a Prius, not a nice car, and someone was asking me about it. I told him I liked the milage and nothing else, that I wished it got the fabulous mileage but was something like a Cadillac inside and to drive. He told me that car was called a Tesla.

I do love the looks of the Tesla models, but keeping my paid off Z4.

Most of the car threads end up being Tesla threads, with the same posters. We need a “no Tesla allowed” car thread. :)

How could you have a thread about "Nice cars" without including Tesla? :facepalm:

That would be like having a thread about American made cars while prohibiting Tesla!

Or like having a thread about great democracies of the world while excluding The United States.

In short, it would be un-American!

Last edited:
Looks like Tesla decided to build it's new factory in Texas. Just what we don't need.

The Mayor of Austin believes Telsa is a huge bonus for the region. In this short news interview he has a long list of the benefits Tesla will bring to Texas:

https://youtu.be/sUVbGEsHr4E

Nice cars...not only are they not a vice, their manufacture brings thousands of good jobs with benefits.

Well, there’s certainly enough feedback for a Tesla-free car discussion. Perhaps we can put one up in the next couple of days.

I’m sure we can do it by politely asking the Tesla-ists to just focus their enthusiasm and exuberance elsewhere. :)

The Mayor of Austin believes Telsa is a huge bonus for the region. In this short news interview he has a long list of the benefits Tesla will bring to Texas:

https://youtu.be/sUVbGEsHr4E

Nice cars...not only are they not a vice, their manufacture brings thousands of good jobs with benefits.

It's not the good paying jobs that bother me with companies like Tesla coming to Texas, it's the unwanted baggage they bring.

Last edited:
How could you have a thread about "Nice cars" without including Tesla? :facepalm:

That would be like having a thread about American made cars while prohibiting Tesla!

Or like having a thread about great democracies of the world while excluding The United States.

In short, it would be un-American!

Because there are actually OTHER nice cars *besides* Tesla. The vast majority of your posts on ER.org are about Tesla...we get it, you are a fan...a really, REALLY big fan (or, maybe you are Elon?!?) and I think most of us get that. In a similar vein, there are lots of threads about places to travel, but yet people don't feel the need to pontificate for post after post after post after post about why their favorite place is better than all others. I think this would be a travesty if every single car on the road was a Tesla.

Because there are actually OTHER nice cars *besides* Tesla. The vast majority of your posts on ER.org are about Tesla...we get it, you are a fan...a really, REALLY big fan (or, maybe you are Elon?!?) and I think most of us get that. In a similar vein, there are lots of threads about places to travel, but yet people don't feel the need to pontificate for post after post after post after post about why their favorite place is better than all others. I think this would be a travesty if every single car on the road was a Tesla.

I have no problem with other people posting about their nice cars - it's not clear why you do. I have a LOT of posts on ER.org without Tesla content. But it's also true that my retirement portfolio has been tripled by investing in Tesla. I was fortunate at achieving financial independence and being able to retire early. I also have two Tesla's - don't hold it against me that I don't want to talk about cars I don't own. At least I don't try to muzzle others. Maybe if other cars were nicer people would talk about them more.

I was posting on the ER.org investment forum about what a great asset TSLA would make for peoples retirement accounts back when it was less than a third of the current price. TSLA is not only a great match as a car for retirement, it's a great way to supercharge your retirement portfolio. It's also a very patriotic American company, bringing manufacturing back to America. Tesla's have a higher content of American parts and labor than any other manufacturer. It makes me wonder why some people would rather talk about VW's or BMW's. But I don't try to muzzle them because I'm an American!

That unwanted baggage is something many Texans worry about:cool:

The nice thing about the "ignore" function is that you don't have to see or read a specific persons posts.

Back
Top Bottom